"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:08 AM
rjrides
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know when they are going to vote on this?

Old 05-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Sorg67
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I always wear a helmet. I wear a helmet on my bicycle too. I have even started wearing a helmet when I snow ski. I also always wear my seat belt.

But I believe it should be my choice. Government should focus on laws that protect us from others. Government should not be in the business of protecting us from ourselves.

Protecting us from ourselves is a slippery slope. You really want to reduce motorcycle injuries and deaths, ban motorcycles completely. And while you are at it ban smoking and drinking and unhealthy food and sky diving and rock climbing and scuba diving. Perhaps I should be required to wear a helmet when I get on a step ladder.

I will always wear my helmet when I ride and I will consider those who do not to be idiots. But I believe we have a right to be stupid with our own lives. Because otherwise we have to have someone else decide what is stupid and what is not stupid.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:57 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I just don't understand all the uproar about helmet laws??? They make you wear a seat belt when you drive in a car or you get ticketed..... This is no different IMO and a losing battle. This country will continue to enforce laws and tell you what THEY think is best for you whether you like it or not.

Now before I get bashed I live in a helmet choice state and I choose to wear 1 but I feel it should be a choice not mandatory. Same as seat belts or any of these other bullshit laws that enfringe upon people's right to choose live and let live. Long as your not hurting someone else or endangering others you should be free to live your life as you see fit!!!

A simple fix would be to allow your Insurance company to deny coverage in the event you were in an accident and not wearing a helmet or seat belt. That way they can't bitch about money lost etc. because @ the end of the day this ALL boils down to $$$ not human life/safety.........

Old 05-11-2017, 08:09 AM
JWP07
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 60 Posts

This is always an interesting discussion. Personally I always wear a helmet as twice it has saved my life however, I am more on the "free to choose" side of the argument.

At the very least - the helmet discussion always reminds me to ride within my capabilities, be as aware as possible of my surroundings and never take unnecessary risks. Safe riding all...

Old 05-11-2017, 08:34 AM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

The single best thing you could do for motorcyclists is to bring back 55 mph speed limits. Those were much safer times and way more enjoyable- saved a bunch of oil too

Old 05-11-2017, 05:14 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Count the number of children you see riding bicycles with a helmet. There is a law that says a child under sixteen must wear a helmet.
More people are injured in bath tub/shower falls than on a motorcycle.....maybe a law should be passed?
If helmets are so good....maybe car drivers should wear them...like NASCAR drivers do. THINK of the lives that may be saved. Ask your legislator THAT!

Chuck

Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by themensh
If helmets are so good....maybe car drivers should wear them...like NASCAR drivers do. THINK of the lives that may be saved. Ask your legislator THAT!

Chuck
That makes good sense. Except that many, many, many more people drive cars, take showers, and vote, then ride motorcycles. They, car drivers or shower takers, wouldn't accept such laws without a revolt at the polls. And they have the number of votes to make their feelings matter. There aren't enough motorcycle riders, especially riders committed to riding enough, to sway politicos actions. So if they, politicos, decide helmets aren't enough and riders should carry a million dollars of health insurance, or face other restrictions designed to decrease the number of motorcycle riders, motorcycle riders would be SOL IMO.

I wonder how many riders have an otherwise insignificant incident and are greatly injured but not killed, because a helmet didn't offer them some protection? Nobody does, or can, know that number.

Last edited by rjg883c; 05-11-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:36 PM
toppy
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

not sure why anyone would want to ride without a helmet.
i get that people like to have a choice.. but seriously i don't trust people in general, i certainly don't trust people i DON'T know to NOT drive like an *******.

its a no brainer to me.

if we can ban all idiots from the road, block cell phones from working on streets, and them retar the road with a soft spongy material then i'll support "no helmet" laws

Old 05-11-2017, 06:37 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorg67
Protecting us from ourselves is a slippery slope. You really want to reduce motorcycle injuries and deaths, ban motorcycles completely. And while you are at it ban smoking and drinking and unhealthy food and sky diving and rock climbing and scuba diving. Perhaps I should be required to wear a helmet when I get on a step ladder.
This is exactly my point. People do a lot of things that can cause injury/death such as "smoking and drinking and unhealthy food". But those activities are performed by so many people, it would be difficult to legislate against them. Riding a motorcycle, which most people don't do anyway, would be an easy target for unwanted governmental action.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:48 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

“No man’s life, liberty or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.”

Quick Reply: Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida