"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 07:49 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida

Just saw one of our state rep's is trying to pass a helmet law here in Florida.

Ill try getting a call through to his office today. I should ask him how the no cell phone use while driving is going.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,288 Likes on 21,381 Posts

Talk to your local ABATE group.
I'm sure that they're on it?
https://www.abateflorida.com/

Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 AM
wideglideCVO
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,380 Likes on 808 Posts

I lived in Fl. 22 years and the traffic is bad down there. I would wear a helmet even if there is a no helmet law.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:27 AM
scottbob99
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO
I lived in Fl. 22 years and the traffic is bad down there. I would wear a helmet even if there is a no helmet law.
Agree. if the worst should happen I'll take my chances with a helmet.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:32 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,288 Likes on 21,381 Posts

Too stay on subject; I'd say that there are places with or without a helmet I would not ride. Boulder CO is one of those places. Too dayum much traffic which is where your accidents generally always happen.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:50 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Full Disclosure:I'm an ATGATT type, including FF/Modular helmet and mesh gear. That's MY choice. However, the number of Harleys on our little Island here in SW Florida with riders wearing T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops is absolutely cringeworthy. Let's not even discuss the motor scooter riders! The point is, I can understand why a well-intentioned do-gooder would push for a helmet law. But no, I'm dead set against such a law; we should be able to make our own decisions.

The following users liked this post:
TriggerHappyFXDLS (05-06-2017)
Old 12-21-2016, 03:02 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

A motorcycle helmet bill has been filed in the Florida House by brand new Rep. Don Hahnfeldt a republican from District 33. District 33 is all of Sumter County, and parts of Lake and Marion Counties.

HB 6009 Motorcycle Safety By Rep. Hahnfeldt, Removes provisions authorizing certain persons over 21 years of age to operate/ride motorcycle without wearing protective headgear; provides penalties. It will make riding without a helmet a noncriminal traffic 26 infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in 27 chapter 318.

So the fight is on, but what makes this worse are the new rules the Speaker of the House has placed on lobbyist. The only way we can defeat this is if everyone of us calls and talks to our OWN Representative personally that we are opposed to this bill. This is not something that just a few people can do, this is something that every single member of ABATE of Florida, Inc. needs to do. The Legislators are back home for the Holidays, so take time to reach out to them.

Please get this out to all your members ASAP... we have to act fast and stay in action. Please remind your members to not say or do anything stupid or aggressive to the Legislators. The last thing we need is someone getting pissed off and yelling or threatening someone.

We will fight this by giving facts and discussing CALMLY that this will not be the answer. The last DHSMV stats for 2015 show this about the motorcyclist deaths in Florida:
Killed wearing a helmet = 276
Killed without a helmet = 237
Killed with non approved helmet = 20
Killed unknown helmet or not = 13
I will be focusing on getting out more details and info about helmets.
Florida ABATE State VP

==============================================

I got this email from ABATE yesterday

The following 3 users liked this post by uklauren:
BuzzCap7 (12-21-2016), ISP-FLHTK (12-22-2016), Muffbrorick (12-22-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 06:05 PM
fatmurse
Tourer
Received 202 Likes on 92 Posts

I recently moved into Rep. Hahnfeldt's district. Here is his district office info:
916 Avenida Central, The Villages, FL. 32159-5704. 352-315-4445
Endorsed by Florida Medical Association P.A.C.
Rep. Hahnfeldt will be hearing from me as one of his constiuents. I abhor laws like this. This kind of ****, like the seatbelt law, is the scourge of a free society. It is oppression!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:40 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,335 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglideCVO

Originally Posted by shorelasHD
Full Disclosure:I'm an ATGATT type, including FF/Modular helmet and mesh gear. That's MY choice. However, the number of Harleys on our little Island here in SW Florida with riders wearing T-shirts, shorts, and flip-flops is absolutely cringeworthy. Let's not even discuss the motor scooter riders! The point is, I can understand why a well-intentioned do-gooder would push for a helmet law. But no, I'm dead set against such a law; we should be able to make our own decisions.
ATGATT here as well. Riding about 10 yrs daily. Yup, hot WX as well.

YES statistically helmets DO their job as gd as they can but I like having the CHOICE, FREEDOM of CHOICE, not being told what to do.

Originally Posted by uklauren
A motorcycle helmet bill has been filed in the Florida House by brand new Rep. Don Hahnfeldt a republican from District 33. District 33 is all of Sumter County, and parts of Lake and Marion Counties.

HB 6009 Motorcycle Safety By Rep. Hahnfeldt, Removes provisions authorizing certain persons over 21 years of age to operate/ride motorcycle without wearing protective headgear; provides penalties. It will make riding without a helmet a noncriminal traffic 26 infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in 27 chapter 318.

So the fight is on, but what makes this worse are the new rules the Speaker of the House has placed on lobbyist. The only way we can defeat this is if everyone of us calls and talks to our OWN Representative personally that we are opposed to this bill. This is not something that just a few people can do, this is something that every single member of ABATE of Florida, Inc. needs to do. The Legislators are back home for the Holidays, so take time to reach out to them.

Please get this out to all your members ASAP... we have to act fast and stay in action. Please remind your members to not say or do anything stupid or aggressive to the Legislators. The last thing we need is someone getting pissed off and yelling or threatening someone.

We will fight this by giving facts and discussing CALMLY that this will not be the answer. The last DHSMV stats for 2015 show this about the motorcyclist deaths in Florida:
Florida ABATE State VP

I am not so sure those stat's are accurate. The stats I have seen showed when a state passes a law mandatory to wear them, head trauma and deaths significantly decreased.

THANK YOU for the info...... I am going to click your THANK YOU thingy...

BuzzCap7

Old 12-21-2016, 08:58 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Florida ABATE State VP

Will ABATE also include the number of riders that have an incident in which although their helmeted heads bounce against something solid, they are able to get up and ride away, and their lives go on as if nothing happened? Since that might be a difficult number to determine perhaps it would be easier to determine the number of riders that receive a head injury while they are wearing a helmet and extrapolate a possible increase in number of head injuries by using the number of reported accidents, resulting in death or not?

And were the deaths mentioned above due to a head injury, blunt force trauma to the body, or ?

Surely ABATE attempts to determine these figures? Or are they more interested in getting donations?

Last edited by rjg883c; 12-21-2016 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Are mandatory helmets in our future here in Florida