"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Motorcycle Insurance In Florida

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you stack your coverage then the scoot is covered for unissued and under insured - saved about $600 on the MC by stacking the coverage and combining insurance with one company.

Pays to have a good agent that knows there stuff - I had cars with one, MC with another and home with another = expensive!

Old 02-05-2017, 01:07 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

I have to say after moving to Missouri my insurance premiums are about ⅓ the premiums in FL. And the roads are better for riding.

We do have to carry motorcycle insurance unlike FL where it's optional.

But it's cold now. lol

If people in FL were more honest like the folks in MO insurance rates would be a lot less. Good luck with that of course.

Sure miss Cafe 27 I have to admit.

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe_G:
ISP-FLHTK (04-21-2017), uklauren (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 07:29 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Our current HOG chapter director is an attorney and he always advises us to have uninsured/under insured coverage. He explains it this way ..... If you have health insurance or, like me, on Medicare, your doctor and hospital bills will be covered regardless of whether or not you have that additional coverage. However, let's say you are left disabled by the accident, if you have the coverage you will be able to sue for "pain and suffering". I have resisted getting this coverage because it would just about double my cost, but I keep thinking I should have it.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I would expect an attorney to suggest the extra coverage. They understand that if there are no "deep money pockets" then it is a waste of their time to sue folks.

Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 AM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
If you stack your coverage then the scoot is covered for unissued and under insured - saved about $600 on the MC by stacking the coverage and combining insurance with one company.

Pays to have a good agent that knows there stuff - I had cars with one, MC with another and home with another = expensive!
This is the key here. Mentioned, but not fully explained...

In Florida, if you have STACKED uninsured motorist on your CAR, then it also covers you on your bike and you have no reason to also separately buy it for your bike.

I had a couple insurance agents explain this to me, and also a couple who didn't know what I was talking about, so I looked it up myself to confirm.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mother:
ISP-FLHTK (02-08-2017), VanHammersley (04-18-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 07:44 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mother
This is the key here. Mentioned, but not fully explained...

In Florida, if you have STACKED uninsured motorist on your CAR, then it also covers you on your bike and you have no reason to also separately buy it for your bike.

I had a couple insurance agents explain this to me, and also a couple who didn't know what I was talking about, so I looked it up myself to confirm.

For almost 2 years we have had Progressive on the bike, auto, and home. They never explained the stacked and unstacked uninsured deal. If was probably more my fault for not questioning it more or investigating earlier.

But the above is a good way to explain it. I just will add that if you do just carry it "unstacked" on your bike it is really expensive as compared to having it on your auto only.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 PM
DavidMarquez
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Average motorcycle insurance rates depend on how much of an accident risk your insurance company deems you and your bike to be. While motorcycle fatalities have declined over the last couple of years, insurance companies tend to see bikes as more risky than cars. Thus, your rates for insurance will probably be higher than for comparable auto insurance. There are several factors that control how much you pay for the insurance, get more information here. These insurance can pay for medical bills resulting from motorcycle accidents, as well as for its repair costs. One of my friend has recently covered his bike repair cost (caused due to accident) from his motorcycle insurance. And motorcycle insurance can also cover any outstanding loans on the bike.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 AM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,326 Likes on 10,702 Posts

You are not the only one that does not get this stuff.

When it comes to insurance and taxes, I am totally lost.

BuzzCap7

Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

Insurance quotes deal with more than just risk. My buddy and I rode the exact same 2010 CVO Street Glides (different colors)lol. My insurance was lower than his by several hundred dollars a year. He went to my Insurance Underwriter and tried to get the same coverage and his quote was higher than mine. After examining the difference, the only thing different was our credit scores. He had gone through a tough stretch with his wife and credit cards and was trying to reestablish his credit.
The insurance co. confirmed that when I questioned her. Obviously she would not reveal personal information, she just said it had a large impact on the difference in premiums.
Not sure if all states look at credit scores but Fl. Does.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:20 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain

Florida auto/home insurance is turning into almost a part time job for me! After finally getting a handle on the uninsured motorist, stacked/unstacked issues, we were getting a fresh quote on our homeowner's policy from a local broker. She wanted to quote our vehicles also during this process. She claimed that if you had no uninsured motorist on any of your policies, then no matter what type of medical insurance you had the first $10,000 of medical bills resulting from a car crash would not be covered. This went against everything I had read or been told in the past 6 months.

I called my health insurance folks and looked up the answer as it applies to Medicare coverage. Both said all my medical would be covered (minus co-pays) if I was injured in an auto accident. This insurance broker was either misleading me or she totally misunderstands it herself.

Bottom line is having uninsured motorist (stacked or unstacked) on you bike is expensive. The next cheapest way to have the extra coverage on your bike is to have uninsured motorist (stacked) on your car, if it is with one company. This was stated in is another post above, and is good advise if you are still working and may not have the best health care insurance in the world.

If you are on Medicare (I will be soon) and have excellent supplemental health care insurance as well, then you could even consider not having any uninsured motorist on any of your policies. It isn't all that expensive to stack it on a car policy as long as you can find a company that starts with good rates on your vehicle and bike in the first place.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Insurance In Florida