"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

What is the WORST part of the Keys............

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 03:37 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,341 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Thank you. You are the best!

If you do not hear from me again, you will know why............... LOL. Or not so funny. :-(

BuzzCap7

Old 03-24-2017, 08:15 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
No speeding in Big Pine, don't want to hurt the baby deer The cops are very serious about that.
Allan! How are you buddy!! I survived my first Midwest winter in 16 years.. luckily it was a light one and I rode my bike in every month including December 31.

Buzzcap living in Broward for 16 years and traveling to the keys a fair amount of times I don't think there are bad areas where you wouldn't go out at night, at least I didn't notice any. But... it's really far away from everything, that drive to civilization would drive me nuts I'm afraid. And the motorcycle riding is not good, straight flat... moving back home to Missouri I'm relishing our country roads with curves, hills, scenery.

If you like the keys, watch the series Bloodline on Netflix. My friend does the artwork and signage on the show (a fellow rider) and I'd say it pretty well reflects Keys life, of course hotted up for TV.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,935 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Didn't feel like I was going to loose my life, but the south end of Whitehead Street on Key West can be a little sketchy, maybe Thomas!??!. Near the lighthouse there is a little bodega that I like to get my walking around beer, not the best spot ever. But no one ever did anything to me, just you could feel a sense of, locals only and all of that.

I currently work in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, Florida has nothing on this place. No part of Florida that I have ever been to. Good luck on your quest for finding the worst places, you can visit me at work and I can show you some stuff.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Joe_G

Buzzcap living in Broward for 16 years and traveling to the keys a fair amount of times I don't think there are bad areas where you wouldn't go out at night, at least I didn't notice any.
There are my friend. I was there about 8 years ago and drove through a shockingly horrendous area. It was not all the way down at "Key West". It was well before then on the right side going down. I am sure there are others I just happen to stumble across one.

Originally Posted by Architect
Didn't feel like I was going to loose my life, but the south end of Whitehead Street on Key West can be a little sketchy, maybe Thomas!??!. Near the lighthouse there is a little bodega that I like to get my walking around beer, not the best spot ever. But no one ever did anything to me, just you could feel a sense of, locals only and all of that.

I currently work in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, Florida has nothing on this place. No part of Florida that I have ever been to. Good luck on your quest for finding the worst places, you can visit me at work and I can show you some stuff.
It is not down in the Key West area Like Whitehead St., South Street Mallory Square area, none of that stuff. It was way before then. But I am sure there are several if I stumbled across one there must be more.

I guess it is a good thing only one person came up with a bad area.

I do appreciate everybody trying to pitch in and help out…

BuzzCap7

Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
There are my friend. I was there about 8 years ago and drove through a shockingly horrendous area. It was not all the way down at "Key West". It was well before then on the right side going down. I am sure there are others I just happen to stumble across one.

It is not down in the Key West area Like Whitehead St., South Street Mallory Square area, none of that stuff. It was way before then. But I am sure there are several if I stumbled across one there must be more.

I guess it is a good thing only one person came up with a bad area.

I do appreciate everybody trying to pitch in and help out…

BuzzCap7
Buzz, you make a very good point indeed. Just because I've never seen the bad areas doesn't mean they don't exist. I will certainly say living in Miami for 15 years I know of many bad areas on the mainland and can certainly give you some directions... which brings up the question...

Why do you ask my good man????

Old 03-25-2017, 09:23 PM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Buzz, you make a very good point indeed. Just because I've never seen the bad areas doesn't mean they don't exist. I will certainly say living in Miami for 15 years I know of many bad areas on the mainland and can certainly give you some directions... which brings up the question...

Why do you ask my good man????
LOL. I forgot why I was asking….

Only kidding my friend. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to ask me that question.

2 guys that I ride with, one went to the keys years ago and the other one never went to the keys and they would both like to go to Key West. They are very insistent that there are no "bad areas" anywhere in the keys.

Pretty much when you drive down and back, that is all there is they say.

About 8 or 10 years ago one of my sons and I went camping in almost all of the campgrounds in the keys all of the way down to the very end. One of the days we were headed to the next campground, I was wondering what is "off the beaten path" and I was utterly shocked. We drove through an area that look like Third World, I made sure the doors were locked and I do not remember if I was carrying at the moment are not. But I was concerned about having my son with me.

It looked super Third World and the people (the few people) that I saw could not have looked more poor.

So when we head down to the keys I would like to bring them through this area or any area that would reflect the real conditions, the poorest conditions off of the beaten path.

That is why. But it seems like I am failing miserably to find anyone that definitively knows of the bad areas. Or area.

BuzzCap7

Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
Whoooo Hoooo........ now we are getting some place.

There is a state park there. Could you tell me where in particular, maybe the name of a few intersecting streets, a mile marker or something?

The name of a few intersecting streets would be best.

Believe me, I hear you loud and clear................ thank you!

BuzzCap7
1 mile north of marathon city on Grassy key , mm 56. The no-see-ems will smoke your **** within 5 minutes of the sun setting.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
ev780
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't tell i this thread is for real or not.

I would think that the "seedy" areas of the Keys are safer than the areas I travel to just for good Mexican food in places i frequent like Vegas, Denver, Phoenix or Albuquerque.

All perspective I guess.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:50 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by wilburz
1 mile north of marathon city on Grassy key , mm 56. The no-see-ems will smoke your **** within 5 minutes of the sun setting.
Thank you my friend but I do not mean that. I mean the worst part of their Keys where you are not sure you are going to come out alive. That type of thing.

BuzzCap7