"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Head trip helmets

Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Lots of folks have ask Slowrider and I about our helmets and as far as I knew they had gone out of business. Well apparently they survived the DOT incident last year and they are going strong. So for all that were interested here is their new link, I am glad they are still going because this is the best and most comfortable helmet I have ever owned. So without further ado.......http://www.headtriphelmets.com/universalhelmets.php
Only problem is their helmets are not DOT approved (DOT is the least stringent and most basic helmet standard) which means they failed to pass the very basic tests DOT requires to ensure they will actually function as a helmet. Things like stay on your head in a crash (strap test) and absorb an impact. This means they are a pretend helmets or hats, not actual functioning helmets. If you wear a helmet just for the look, OK, but not a good idea if you wear a helmet to protect your head. Then again if you are going to wear a helmet that does not protect your brain, why bother wearing a helmet at all?

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-13-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:11 PM
sailnjay
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Dave. I see that they now have a 3/4 helmet which I might check out.

I'm not sure why some folks feel the need to lecture about the merits of what DOT deems necessary test. Especially folks that are posting in the FL Crew of the Harley forum that don't live anywhere near FL and don't ride a Harley. Just saying.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:40 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by sailnjay
Thanks for the info Dave. I see that they now have a 3/4 helmet which I might check out.

I'm not sure why some folks feel the need to lecture about the merits of what DOT deems necessary test. Especially folks that are posting in the FL Crew of the Harley forum that don't live anywhere near FL and don't ride a Harley. Just saying.
They are bored from not riding this time of year Jay ...

Old 01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
Only problem is their helmets are not DOT approved (DOT is the least stringent and most basic helmet standard) which means they failed to pass the very basic tests DOT requires to ensure they will actually function as a helmet. Things like stay on your head in a crash (strap test) and absorb an impact. This means they are a pretend helmets or hats, not actual functioning helmets. If you wear a helmet just for the look, OK, but not a good idea if you wear a helmet to protect your head. Then again if you are going to wear a helmet that does not protect your brain, why bother wearing a helmet at all?
Have you not read the whole thread????? Please refer to post #8 in this thread and know that it applies to you as well as cameraboy. Do a search on ACC helmets and arm yourself with the actual reasons as to why they are Non-DOT( post # 6 in this same thread) and then feel free to wander on over to the General Section and start you own thread inviting discussion on the topic. Just make sure you do your research first lest you sound foolish. You, along with cameraboy, have a nice day.

Last edited by Just Dave; 01-13-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:51 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by sailnjay

Yeah, the 3/4 looks cool, to bad they don't have it in the metal flake colors yet. I bet it looks like the old Bells and Fulmers that we all use to love back in the day.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:11 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

The full story with ACC is here.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...nd-production/

"Mr. Davis also agreed to the agency’s (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) demand that Advanced Carbon Composites stop designing, selling or manufacturing motorcycle helmets. In addition, motorcycle helmets can not be designed, sold or manufactured by any company of which Mr. Davis owns 3 percent or more." - sounds like a quality product from a reputable manufacturer

Last edited by fat_tony; 01-13-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

When I bought my NON DOT helmet from ACC , I was told that it did indeed pass all the DOT requirements except for the spear test...(something about dropping a heavy piece of metal with a point like a spear I assume, and seeing if it penetrates the helmet) since I don't normally ride in areas where there are spear chuckers I felt comfortable purchasing the helmet...

Old 01-13-2011, 08:24 PM
redman53
Elite HDF Member

here's one of the NY Times readers response to the ACC story...

Why would you assume that the NHTSA shares no responsibility? Anyone who's had to deal with the unflinching bureaucratic mentality can smell a rat with this story. At face value, this may seem cut and dried, but that's because there are a few facts missing, namely that the ACC helmets DID pass DOT standards with the company that did the testing, it was the NHTSA that decided to no longer accept the testing certification of the company testing DOT standards, so they forced a recall (that's why the helmets were able to hit the market, they WERE DOT approved) When the NHTSA forced ACC to use a new certifying authority to get DOT certification, the helmets scored virtually the same as they did with the previous company, and although it was in the acceptable range to meet DOT standards, this new company used a stricter acceptable range, and failed the helmet. Here's another example: let's say the acceptable range was between 1 and 10, and let's say ACC scored a 4 with the first company, they get their DOT certification, then the NHTSA comes along and tells ACC (after they've sold a ton of helmets) that they are no longer accepting that companies certifying authority, so ACC goes to a new company, and again they score a 4, but this company only certifies scores between 5 and 10, so even though they are within the acceptable range…they fail. I don't work for ACC, but I happen to know the truth, and the bottom line is that the NHTSA knew they scored within acceptable range, but wouldn't even allow ACC to find another testing authority that would accept any score within that range. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine, you can believe the NHTSA, because a government-run authority would never be unfair, right? yea sure.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony
The full story with ACC is here.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...nd-production/

"Mr. Davis also agreed to the agency’s demand that Advanced Carbon Composites stop designing, selling or manufacturing motorcycle helmets. In addition, motorcycle helmets can not be designed, sold or manufactured by any company of which Mr. Davis owns 3 percent or more." - sounds like a quality product
Be fair to yourself and get the "Real Full Story". Read comment #8 on your own link and that will start to shed some light on what really went down with all of this. You have a lot more research to do before I will go head to head with you on this issue. Please refer back to post #8 on this thread once again and I will keep my eye out in the general section for your thread. As I have said before, have a nice day.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member

Dang, Sick Puppy you beat me to it, that was the comment I was referring to but I was going to make him work for it so maybe he would dig up the facts on his own. This is a PSA, not an invitation for discussion. I don't remember asking anywhere what anybody thought because I can promise you that I don't care. If they don't like them, fine, they don't have to wear one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head trip helmets