"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Any younger riding groups in south Florida ?

Old 03-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sir_will_yum
My question is what do you consider south Florida ? Having just moved to Naples I thought I was in the south but am finding at times I am 2 to 4 hours away from the closest ride... Up north I could cross two or more states in that much time. It's almost mind boggling how long it takes to get out of Florida...
While we all love hearing how wonderful everything is up north I would like to point out that Florida is in fact a peninsula surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Straits of Florida. It has the longest coastline in the contiguous United States, encompassing approximately 1,350 miles of beach and is the only state that borders both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. So yeah, It takes some time to get out of the state if you are on the south end of the peninsula. Even longer if you are in the Keys.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Most of the Crew knows where Gator Joes is .. Exactly 464 Miles from Key West .. It is farther from Pensacola to Key West than it is from Pensacola to Cincinnati, OH

Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I believe that S Fl is technically the Tri-County area of Miami Dade, Broward and Palm Beach. Naples is not S Fl. I am betting that Martin and St Lucie county dwellers don't consider that they live in S Florida but I could be wrong.

On Christmas day I rode to Key West (and back) about 4 hours each way, then the day after drove to Pensacola about 10 hours from where I live. I made more stops than I would like but had the dogs with me and they needed breaks. So I'm guessing it's about 13 hours from KW to PCola in a car.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
sir_will_yum
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Gator
While we all love hearing how wonderful everything is up north I would like to point out that Florida is in fact a peninsula surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Straits of Florida. It has the longest coastline in the contiguous United States, encompassing approximately 1,350 miles of beach and is the only state that borders both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean. So yeah, It takes some time to get out of the state if you are on the south end of the peninsula. Even longer if you are in the Keys.
For the record Gator I would be the last person to tell you how wonderful everything is up north. The only thing that I did find was there were organized rides and activities that were never that far away for any given warm weekend. For a state that has 300 days of summer weather I am finding it real hard to find out where everyone is riding to. Towns that only have bike night once a year... Dealerships that don't promote riding and socializing. Maybe when you only have 4 months of good riding (up north) you have to ring everything you can out of it. For the OP : there is a website for people forming clubs like this one http://www.meetup.com/GulfCoastCruisers/ but I found they don't get together on a regular basis and they are the older crowd.... You know the ones that can afford the new bikes and keep them running.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're looking for organized rides you've come to the wrong place, we're as disorganized as they come.

But if you're looking to just ride, shoot across Alligator Alley and jump on a ride with the North Cuba chapter some time. It'll only add a couple of hundred to your trip. Now and then I enjoy shooting down to Key West and back. About 9 hours round trip.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Str33tgl1de
Cruiser

SoFla where in So. Fla. are you? i'm in Miami Lakes right off of the Palmetto(826) and 67th ave.

My definition of south florida is really dade and broward anything further than that is hard to go to bike nights and stuff like that.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Str33tgl1de
SoFla where in So. Fla. are you? i'm in Miami Lakes right off of the Palmetto(826) and 67th ave.

My definition of south florida is really dade and broward anything further than that is hard to go to bike nights and stuff like that.
I'm in west Pembroke Pines...6 miles from Cafe 27

Old 03-05-2013, 09:40 PM
Str33tgl1de
Cruiser

So we are practically neighbors how many other guys live down here and do you normally meet and ride anywhere? I have a couple guys I ride with every once in a while.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

South FL to me is anything South of Ocala ...

Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
South FL to me is anything South of Ocala ...
I was thinking the same thing. You know it had to be said.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any younger riding groups in south Florida ?