"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Looking for quick mountian getaway.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 PM
uride2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
Thanks you guys. Depending on how work goes to day.... think Ill head to Helen tomorrow.
Headin to Pensacola ,if this rally a dude I may head north . got your cell
harvey

Old 04-13-2014, 01:17 AM
wuaname
Road Captain

Op, did you make the trip? If so how was it. Anyone else done this from south florida for just a few days? I'm thinking about it, maybe get a smaller tent and even camp in the mountains in Helen area.

I like the idea, ride up day one, ride up there 1-2 days , and then ride back the last day

Old 04-13-2014, 05:38 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wuaname
Op, did you make the trip? If so how was it. Anyone else done this from south florida for just a few days? I'm thinking about it, maybe get a smaller tent and even camp in the mountains in Helen area.

I like the idea, ride up day one, ride up there 1-2 days , and then ride back the last day
Yes .... I did. Headed for Hellen. Had lunch. Continued north. Hit the dragon, then headed across 28. 28 was great. IMHO every bit as good as the dragon but much much longer.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Yep, that's it.
I'll be heading that way next week.
When? You coming by my way?

Old 04-13-2014, 08:42 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
When? You coming by my way?
I'm planning on leaving FL on Wed. and arrive in Franklin, NC on Thur. with a stop overnight in Douglas Ga. I usually run the back-roads through Ga, staying well away from the Atlanta traffic mess. I don't have a schedule to keep, so travel days are planned around favorable weather.

I'll be in Franklin for 2 weeks or so. Maybe we can hook-up one day in around Wolfpen Gap, Helen, ??

Old 04-13-2014, 09:16 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I might could do that. Thing is I tore my rear tire up on my last little ride Dont think Id trust it in the twisties. The ironheads primary cover is off waiting for chain adjuster parts. I might be able to get the KZ up and running within that time. I havent had a chance yet to try it in some real twisties. Would you be embarrassed to be seen with a jap bike?

Old 04-13-2014, 09:32 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
I might could do that. Thing is I tore my rear tire up on my last little ride Dont think Id trust it in the twisties. The ironheads primary cover is off waiting for chain adjuster parts. I might be able to get the KZ up and running within that time. I havent had a chance yet to try it in some real twisties. Would you be embarrassed to be seen with a jap bike?
Ride whatever, makes no difference to me.
I'll PM you when I get up there and see how things look.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Roger That
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wuaname

I rode up there with my fiancé Thanksgiving week in '12. 5 days 2000 miles. You have to go at least once!

You should give yourself five days though if possible. It's a long hard ride in one day. It can get pretty scary at night riding in the mountains at the end of a long day in the saddle! Lots of critters to avoid in the dark, especially deer!

We stopped in Athens for the first night, just a short 3 hour ride north of there to the Smokies. Glad we stopped, would have missed some beautiful scenery entering into the hills.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for quick mountian getaway.-image.jpg  

Last edited by Roger That; 04-13-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:28 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After I left deals gap I took 28 west towards Atlanta, joined 441, merged back with 129, hit 16 then onto 75. Never saw Atlanta traffic . Was nice route.

Did 2000 miles in 3 days.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:29 PM
wuaname
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Roger That
I rode up there with my fiancé Thanksgiving week in '12. 5 days 2000 miles. You have to go at least once!

You should give yourself five days though if possible. It's a long hard ride in one day. It can get pretty scary at night riding in the mountains at the end of a long day in the saddle! Lots of critters to avoid in the dark, especially deer!

We stopped in Athens for the first night, just a short 3 hour ride north of there to the Smokies. Glad we stopped, would have missed some beautiful scenery entering into the hills.
You did then two days up, one day in the smokies, and two days back? Years ago I did it to suches and deal's gap on two days up, 2-3 days riding around, and two days back. Wasn't bad, oh and back then I rode a sport bike, lol. But now would love to gable to do it on my HD in a few days to not make it burn through my vacation days