The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to etiquette and biker brotherhood?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 03:17 PM
DMetcalf
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbroke
It's not just bikers. People in general have become much less courteous and in some cases downright rude. I was taught by my parents to hold a door if someone is coming,to offer my seat on a bus or train for an elderly person or women. I've taught my children to do the same,but it seems like I'm in the minority. Just chalk it up to the downward slide of Western civilization.

So very sad, and very true...

Old 05-22-2016, 04:19 AM
neildoo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The girl friend always gives a little laugh when we are in my truck because i still give a little wave to bikes as we go down the road, she says I dont think they saw you. its just a natural motion I always have no matter what im driving.

Old 05-22-2016, 08:45 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by neildoo
The girl friend always gives a little laugh when we are in my truck because i still give a little wave to bikes as we go down the road, she says I dont think they saw you. its just a natural motion I always have no matter what im driving.
That's funny, I do the same thing. I drove truck back in the day when truckers waved at truckers. That has changed also. I still find I wave at truck drivers, and motorcycles, no matter what I am driving/riding.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:59 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

same here^^^

Old 05-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Yep I wave at bikes from my truck and wife laughs and says I'm funny cause they don't see me wave! Lol

Old 05-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Ravenous
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I generally will wave at a fellow passing by, but just because someone shares a similar hobby as me, I'm not going to stop to see whats wrong? There's any number of lunatics around. I don't expect anyone to stop and see whats what if I am broken down, they dont know me, and have no obligation to do so. As far as the motor officer, he should of stopped, but only because he is on the job, and compensated for it.

Old 05-25-2016, 01:46 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

I always try to stop and help people on a bike or in a car. Especially if women or children are involved. My office manager was ahead of me on my way home one day when she passed a car on the side of the road with a guy and a small child walking. I stopped to see if they needed help.

The next day my office manager said " You stopped to help that guy, he could have been an ax murderer" I said "Yep and he could of been a father trying to get his sick child to the hospital. I won't let fear out weigh doing the right thing. Sorry I wasn't raised that way.

The following 2 users liked this post by corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com:
Freak Show (05-25-2016), skypeace (06-07-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I always try to stop and help people on a bike or in a car. Especially if women or children are involved. My office manager was ahead of me on my way home one day when she passed a car on the side of the road with a guy and a small child walking. I stopped to see if they needed help.

The next day my office manager said " You stopped to help that guy, he could have been an ax murderer" I said "Yep and he could of been a father trying to get his sick child to the hospital. I won't let fear out weigh doing the right thing. Sorry I wasn't raised that way.

Good post and what it all boils do to its common courtesy.

It doesn't take but a few seconds to determine if someone is in need.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:20 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain

Agreed. Not interested in living in fear. On the other hand, I probably wouldn't be too happy with my wife or daughter stopping.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:51 AM
bobg03
Road Master
Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Ya know, **** happens. On a hill at a stop sign, road all dug up from water main construction I realized neither foot could get a good grip on the ground and down on her side she went.

But ya know people are great, a bike going the other way waved as I was getting off after setting it on the side bars, and the guy in the cage behind me was gracious enough to blow the horn thinking I was going to wave my magic wand and make the bike move for him.

Fortunately a guy on the intersecting street came and helped me stand her up. Between the gravel and uneven road facing uphill it was a struggle but we did it.

Last edited by bobg03; 05-26-2016 at 07:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
skypeace (06-07-2016)

Quick Reply: What happened to etiquette and biker brotherhood?