The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happened to etiquette and biker brotherhood?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What happened to etiquette and biker brotherhood?

What follows may be a bit of a rant so I'll try to keep from going too far down that road but I feel like I gotta say something about this and I'm curious to know what your all's thoughts and experiences are.

I remember only a few years ago whenever I'd encounter another bike - Harley, sport bike, Honda, or whatever - we'd each give the other guy the wave. No big deal. Every so often the other guy wouldn't or if there was a pack or a Club they wouldn't do it and that's fine. Point being, it was the norm.

Apparently things have changed. I'm a solo rider 99% of the time. I live in Tucson where theres lots of bikes. Lots. I've stopped waving unless the other guy does first, which is nothing I thought would ever happen. I'm a pretty friendly guy and I don't care what you ride because I was told by old gray beards who have more years on two wheels than I have birthdays that it's the respectful thing to do when you pass another bike. And so I do. Or I used to. I hit my limit of waving and being looked right through so the other guy can feel like he's the cool guy and got the upper hand by not waving back. Cool move, bro.

I can actually deal with that because who cares? Don't wave, I keep going. Then the other day I found out just how far the brotherhood has withered away, at least in Tucson.

I was on the road and after turning left onto a city highway when out from under the SUV in front of me popped out a big piece of metal debris, dead center across my lane. Bam. Handling starts declining immediately and it's clear the tire is deflating. So I pull over about a half mile ahead, call the shop and a tow truck and wait. As I was either sitting on the shoulder behind my bike or crouching down in front of it to inspect damage no less than 10 bikes passed right by me. Harleys, Goldwings, sport bikes, you name it. Even a Tucson motorcycle cop. Yes, a cop whose sole job is traffic safety saw me sitting there and motored on by. Every one of them looked right at me and kept on going. Now I didn't need any help, but like those gray beards also told me - you stop to check on another biker broken down on the shoulder. Should one of those bikes have stopped I would have told him I was good to go, thanked him for stopping and shook his hand. After none of them did I wasn't even mad. I was just kinda sad, you know?

I guess things have changed here and I really really hope it's just here and that's not the trend all over the place. To be fair two people did pull over to see if I needed help. One car was a group of guys I work with and the other was a pickup.

I'll keep stopping though. I might even start waving again. Okay rant complete. Thanks for reading.

clown

The following 13 users liked this post by Clown Shoes:
Bigiron (09-09-2016), cashking63 (09-03-2016), Fatman2 (06-17-2016), FattyMcJ (05-20-2016), glide5904 (04-10-2016), Hellbilly562 (05-09-2016), heritageblue2013 (04-10-2016), IronAss (09-08-2016), JoeAverage (04-14-2016), joes bar and grill (04-10-2016), JP7 (04-10-2016), skypeace (06-06-2016), WADELL (04-12-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:24 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

the problem is nobody listens to grey beards anymore , so many of the riders who started in the last 20 years have no idea how it used to be .

The following users liked this post:
Bigiron (09-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,654 Likes on 6,678 Posts

Out here in the country folks are friendly for the most part. They wave no matter what they are riding. The only folks that don't wave are the pirates, but to be fair they have to live up to the hardcore image that they have fabricated for themselves.

The following 4 users liked this post by Tommy C:
glide5904 (04-10-2016), joes bar and grill (04-10-2016), MajorKG (04-10-2016), Viaqua (11-19-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Good post Clown. You know what happened? The internet. That's what happened.

But alas, when in real need, I was happy to see folks come through. In my wreck, I was amazed at everyone from all four directions running to help. Had to stop the one crowd trying to beat the shat out of the texter that ran me over, but still amazed. I'm a waver. Once one stops waving for whatever reason, no reason for anyone else too...

skypeace (06-06-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:33 PM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 82 Posts

It's not just bikers. People in general have become much less courteous and in some cases downright rude. I was taught by my parents to hold a door if someone is coming,to offer my seat on a bus or train for an elderly person or women. I've taught my children to do the same,but it seems like I'm in the minority. Just chalk it up to the downward slide of Western civilization.

The following 9 users liked this post by deadbroke:
Bigiron (09-09-2016), J McBri (09-20-2017), Lucky Doug (04-12-2016), MB-WideGlide (05-19-2016), pccoder (04-10-2016), stevmac1 (06-02-2016), tar_snake (04-10-2016), TwiZted Biker (04-10-2016), Viaqua (11-19-2016) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:40 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Remind me not to go to Tucson,
You should move up here where folks are Minnesota Nice, sure there are plenty of A-holes.
I blew a fuse and pulled over to check it out, a minute hadn't gone buy when the first guy stopped and I had to wave a few more on as they slowed to help while I changed the fuse.

Ever consider maybe you look like trouble?

Old 04-09-2016, 11:42 PM
Squidbilly*
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 118 Posts

Chin point or the 2 finger on the wave deal is usually what goes when I'm on the road,
I read \, From the Internet of all things,
That if in distress on the side of the road,
A helmet turned shell side down means ya need help,
Guess if the rider ain't got a helmet he/she is **** outta luck,

I stop if I see somebody's got problems,

Old 04-09-2016, 11:45 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,515 Likes on 804 Posts

Here in New Mexico it seems like most everyone waves to most everyone else. It doesn't matter who or what type of bikes are involved, sport bike guys wave to Harley riders and vice versa and so on. I notice that's not so much the case when I go to other states.

"I hit my limit of waving and being looked right through so the other guy can feel like he's the cool guy and got the upper hand by not waving back. Cool move, bro."

No need to get upset about it, that's just the way some people are. I wave to people on bikes and usually don't even pay any attention to whether or not they wave back. I wave because I'm happy to be out there and happy to see others out there as well. If they don't want to wave back for whatever reason, I couldn't care less.

As far as stopping, I always do but don't expect anyone else to do it. It's a bonus if they do. You should see the rationalizations that come up on this very board for not stopping. Usually self serving BS, but sometimes it's just because people are scared. Whatever, I still stop anyway, but aren't disappointed when others don't. I was really cheered last fall when I was stopped on the side of the road to put on my jacket and some kid on a sportbike stopped to see if I was OK. Maybe I reminded him of his dad or gramps.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

Like another poster said, I think manners/etiquette in general are just on the decline.

I wave at everyone on two wheels. Mopeds included! Not waving back just makes me laugh and make fun of you.

Last edited by Chekoz77; 04-09-2016 at 11:56 PM.
Viaqua (11-19-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Clown Shoes
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

All good stuff. I know there are plenty of good people - riders or non riders - out there on the streets. Just sad to see things slide like that.

Oh and JohnMN, I'd love to take a ride up through Minnesota but I'm a Packer fan. I don't think I'm welcome!! Hahaha j/k I was actually planning to take a ride from Milwaukee up to around St Cloud last summer before I got a job down here in Arizona. Still like to someday.

Quick Reply: What happened to etiquette and biker brotherhood?