The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I admit it - I'm an enigma!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 03:43 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts
Default I admit it - I'm an enigma!

Just to be clear - I'm admitting to being an enigma ["someone or something that is difficult to understand or explain"], NOT an enema [if you need a definition, you might want to move on]. Here's why I believe I'm an enigma: on some issues, I am exceedingly flexible and have no problem rolling with the punches. On other issues, I am rigid and inflexible. Let's stick for the moment with the latter.

I recently ordered these for a newly acquired [used] Softail Deluxe:

https://www.vikingbags.com/harley-so...cle-saddlebags

Upon receipt, I noted the bags were NOT of the highest quality I'd ever seen - but they also weren't the worst. The craftsmanship was neither great nor poor. The quick release buckles were marginal, to say the least; but they looked like they would withstand the short-term and could probably be replaced upon failure at a reasonable cost. Bottom line: I got what I paid for, and since I didn't plan on leaving the bags on the bike continuously, I expect to get a reasonable number of years out of them.

HOWEVER, here's where I have a problem: the locking feature [of which I am a fan] does NOT allow the user to leave the bags unlocked. In other words, when you unlock the bags, the key remains captive in the cylinder and one must relock the bags in order to remove the key [or leave the key sticking out of the cylinder].

Is an extra twist of the wrist a big deal - No. Is always needing the key on you in order to have access to the bags a big deal - probably not, if I have to have the FOB with me anyway. Is having such a captive feature a big deal since it is a "security measure" [as described to me by 'customer service'] and prevents one from "forgetting" to lock the bags - DAMN STRAIGHT IT IS! As far as I'm concerned, I already own a "security measure" to prevent the bags from remaining unintentionally unlocked - it's called my stinking "Brain".

So, am I being totally unreasonable? To perhaps make lemonade out of these lemons, does anyone know of a simple method to convert a simple cylinder from captive to uncaptive [is that a real word]? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. [Any ridicule will be humbly accepted.]

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 12-05-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

One of the drawbacks of ordering online. You don't get to play with it first to see if you like it.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:14 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 313 Posts

I seem to remember that (lock issue) was a problem when I was looking at them for my daughters Sportster. They changed the design before I ordered mine and you could indeed remove the key when unlocked. Surprised it's not the same with those bags. Bummer

Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
mskirwin
Club Member
Received 1,449 Likes on 1,085 Posts

I had a set of there bags on my 2002 Softail. I had lock issues which were never resolved by Viking. I threw the bags away when they would not stay closed. I had a different set than the ones you purchased.

I was on my way to 110th when they would no longer stay closed. Had to bungee cord them closed to get back home. As you can see by my picture I no longer have that issue.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
One of the drawbacks of ordering online. You don't get to play with it first to see if you like it.
True. If I had a chance to try it, at least I would have discovered the bizarre lock system.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:46 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,004 Likes on 2,817 Posts

The other thing about ordering on line is that if it goes bad and you have a dispute with the company that you can't resolve you don't have a throat you can get your hands around.

Last edited by Hey Man; 12-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:19 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny how that principle applies to everything from saddlebags to mail-order brides.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:06 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Have a spare key made. Cut or grind off the top of the head, just enough to make it flat across the top. Get a two liter pop bottle cap and mix up some expoy (I use JB Weld). Place the bottle cap open end up and fill it with epoxy. Place key head in the epoxy and brace it while it drys. Basically what you'll have is a **** with a key on it that you can leave in the lock and have instant access. When you leave the bike, take it with you.

The following users liked this post:
sailmotion (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 08:42 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Have a spare key made. Cut or grind off the top of the head, just enough to make it flat across the top. Get a two liter pop bottle cap and mix up some expoy (I use JB Weld). Place the bottle cap open end up and fill it with epoxy. Place key head in the epoxy and brace it while it drys. Basically what you'll have is a **** with a key on it that you can leave in the lock and have instant access. When you leave the bike, take it with you.
OUTSTANDING!!! I was going to remove one lock and plug the hole. This way I would have one lockable [for valuables] and one unlockable bag. However, I like your idea much better. And I won't even need to have a duplicate key made - the bags came with two (2).

Old 12-22-2016, 11:43 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
OUTSTANDING!!! I was going to remove one lock and plug the hole. This way I would have one lockable [for valuables] and one unlockable bag. However, I like your idea much better. And I won't even need to have a duplicate key made - the bags came with two (2).
Good deal, and it doesn't have to be a soda bottle top. I've made them for friends with oil caps as well because they come in black.

PS

It would have bugged me too.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 12-22-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Quick Reply: I admit it - I'm an enigma!