The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrogen

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:08 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Nitrogen

I just wanted to help educate everyone about nitrogen in your tires. I keep seeing signs up at tire stores and I want everyone to know that when you see that sign you should be thinking "gimmick". I base this on simple physics.

The idea is that, because nitrogen does not expand and contract as much with temperature changes, nitrogen is better for your tires.

Here is the first thing that comes to mind:
If it does not expand and contract as much and you are supposed to check your tires cold (which you are), then how can you possibly figure out what the correct pressure of nitrogen in your tire should be? With that said, I'm sure there will be plenty on here that will tell us the wonders of nitrogen in their tires.

Nitrogen does not stay in your tire any better than plain old compressed air. Nitrogen does not cause you to have to check your tire pressure less. What nitrogen actually does do for a (aircraft) tire is maintain a more consistent pressure when extreme altitude and temperature changes are a factor. This is why it is used on aircraft tires. Keep in mind that even aircraft tire pressures are checked frequently.

I have been an aircraft mechanic since 1986 and I do base this opinion on fact. If you wanna put nitrogen in your tires then go for it, it will not hurt anything. I'm not sure how you would figure out if you should be running a little more pressure cold than you would with air to compensate for the lack of heat expansion. You still need to check your pressure at least every 2 weeks.

If you think I'm wrong about this, tell me why and prove it.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:17 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with what you've said mainly from my aircraft experience as well. The only think I might add is the fact that it is dry, where air will contain some moisture which will freeze . I don't buy into the hype of nitrogen for daily drivers for the same reason you mentioned. Good old air for me, as about 80% of that is nitrogen anyway.
Ron

Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 AM
SuperAhcmed
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bout nitrous for the engine?

Old 08-31-2008, 11:31 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mopardave
Nitrogen does not stay in your tire any better than plain old compressed air.
Apparently, nitrogen molecules are larger than air molecules, therefore, nitrogen is supposed to stay in your tires longer (less leakage).

Old 08-31-2008, 11:47 AM
learfxr
Tourer

I also am an aircraft mechanic, mostly all business jets. It's good for aircraft, not a big issue for cars and bikes. I like the fact that it's a dry air without having to use equipment to remove the moisture. It is not worth the extra effort or expense to have it in your garage to air up your tires. I'll keep using my little air compressor like people have for many years.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:21 PM
mjp750
Advanced

only thing I've ever heard about Nitrogen in tires relates to the point ngoti8tor mention. the molecules are bigger than typical air molecules and so you have less leakage.

most of the times I've seen or heard someone talking about this, it's been in reference to offroading trucks, never really seen folks hyping this for passenger cars - unless you're going to be taking it offroad

and even then I'd think it would be better only for keeping your tires at a consistent pressure during the trek, but there's no way I could justify, in my own head, paying more to put it in my tires. the compressor I have at home has a filter set on it for the air tools I have, so there's minimal moisture getting into the air of my tires anyway.

Cheers.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:05 PM
RockerMike
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have nitrogen in my car tires. The car runs much smoother and handles turn much better. The tire pressure also stays at the suggested level for a much longer period. When tires are at the appropriate pressure, they wear better and offer greater gas millage. The reason it is better than air is because the molecules are larger. Here is a pdf explaining the weight and size of nitrogen versus air.

www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/graham.pdf

Old 08-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I will not fly my bike at 40,000 feet, so I'll stick to air...

Old 08-31-2008, 01:52 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I only use Harley Davidson certified air.

Comes in summer and winter blends, made in the USA, and it won't void your warranty.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
mjp750
Advanced

LOL... that is hysterical Fender!!! already forwarded to 4 friends.

Quick Reply: Nitrogen