The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Gremlin" bell research

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 12:45 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
Default "Gremlin" bell research

I'm doing some research on the legend/meaning of the "gremlin" bell! : ) I heard a new one this weekend and wanted to hear everyone else's version of the reason for the bell. I'll be posting the findings of my little project with all the versions of the legends after I compile them for anyone who's interested. Help me out! Why is the bell good luck and what's your version of the story behind it?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 06-11-2012, 01:14 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best of luck with this. I heard of and seen my first one of these last Saturday. I'm curious about the history.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
K00LJerk
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gremlin came from WWII pilots that experienced mechanical troubles for unknown reasons. could be older than that.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Curlybill
Road Master
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

It is not so much good luck as it helps to ward off evil spirts, gremlins. As the story goes, gremlins live on your bike doing bad things to it that you might not be able to see. But gremlins have very sensitive hearing. When the bike is running, the sound hurts the gremlins ears so they look for a quiter place to hide. The gremlins bell provides that place. However, when the bell rings, it hurts their ears also, so they drop from your bike. No gremlins, no bike problems. Now if you buy your own bell, it has no magic. The bell has to be given to you. Ride safe.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Curlybill
It is not so much good luck as it helps to ward off evil spirts, gremlins. As the story goes, gremlins live on your bike doing bad things to it that you might not be able to see. But gremlins have very sensitive hearing. When the bike is running, the sound hurts the gremlins ears so they look for a quiter place to hide. The gremlins bell provides that place. However, when the bell rings, it hurts their ears also, so they drop from your bike. No gremlins, no bike problems. Now if you buy your own bell, it has no magic. The bell has to be given to you. Ride safe.
This is the version I've heard too. That and when Gremlins fall off it makes potholes. I've also heard about the World War 2 part. Trying to track that one down still. Hadn't heard the part of it being given to you to work. Interesting. Keep it coming!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Old Sorrel
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I had two gremlin bells, the one that was already on the bike when I got it, and one my ex GF gave me. They didn't stop the gremlins from attacking and breaking my shifter pawl return spring from deep within the transmission. Guess how many I have now?

Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

There is a sticky some place on this, if I recall.

I have one on my bike, so far it's doing it's job.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by zeus33
There is a sticky some place on this, if I recall.

I have one on my bike, so far it's doing it's job.
You are correct! : ) Found it, it looks to be whether or not you should have one though, granted I didn't read through all 51 pages or so. ; ) I'm curious to hear peoples actual understanding of the history of it. It seems like there are so many different versions of where it came from. Although the constant so far is that it has to be given to you...

Old 06-11-2012, 05:57 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Sorrel
Well, I had two gremlin bells, the one that was already on the bike when I got it, and one my ex GF gave me. They didn't stop the gremlins from attacking and breaking my shifter pawl return spring from deep within the transmission. Guess how many I have now?
Should have taken the one the HEX gave you off.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:11 PM
fffffish
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Rode for 39 years without one was given one at a ALR meeting on the way home had a girl on a cell phone run a stop sign from behind and 18 wheeler I T boned her at 40mph. 2 broken hips and a mirror thru the stomach a totaled bike and she had no insurance to top it off that was 2 years ago but I still have the BELL

Quick Reply: "Gremlin" bell research