The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Met Up With a Group From MeetUp Last Night. Sort Of Wierd Thing

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts
Default I Met Up With a Group From MeetUp Last Night. Sort Of Wierd Thing

I get emails from all the Philly/ Delaware Valley area gatherings of motorcycle riders from the MeetUp site. Yesterday morning I get an email to my BlackBerry telling of a meet with a group for a place called Magerks. Being the cheap bastard I am what sold me was it was half off hamburger night. I figured "why not?".

I didn't think it was overly cold. It was about 30* when I left. I put on my heated Gerbings gloves, added a few layers and went on my way. I got there a few minutes early and the only other bike there was a Harley Electra Glide. I just thought I was early and the others on their bikes would show up after. It turns out that we were the only two bikes to show. Out of over 25 people, only two bikes.

I want to first say that everyone that showed seemed to be good folk. There didn't seem to be any big show offs or douche bags. They were of all ages and all rode different types of scoots. One guy had 6 bikes, mostly vintage stuff. We spoke of his 70s era Guzzi.

What surprised me the most, especially with the talk about how many on this and other forums say they ride in the winter, was that only 2 bikes arrived. Either there are a lot of people who are filled with hot air or only those that ride in the winter post on forums.

The irony was that the only other guy who did ride there was about my age.

I'm not sure if this post is a rant or not. I do know I ride all year round because I enjoy riding all year round. I know I'll be riding today. I know by having been riding all winter that few really do ride all year. I just thought if you're going to have a gathering of motorcycle riders, maybe you should show up on your motorcycle. lol

Old 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Novel idea!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Well i can tell you that being in NE philly its a little easier to ride in the winter because its mostly flat and you guys dont get half the snow we get in Northern PA and im sure they send out the street sweepers out to clean the roads up now and again to get all the crap off in the Metro areas. Up my way out in the country there is so much gravel on the roads it would be suicide to even attempt to ride esp being that its all twisties hills and blind spots up here! Thats my reason for not going out right now! Hell if that crap wasnt all caked on the road id be riding all year. Im sure others feel the same way!

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Well i can tell you that being in NE philly its a little easier to ride in the winter because its mostly flat and you guys dont get half the snow we get in Northern PA and im sure they send out the street sweepers out to clean the roads up now and again to get all the crap off in the Metro areas. Up my way out in the country there is so much gravel on the roads it would be suicide to even attempt to ride esp being that its all twisties hills and blind spots up here! Thats my reason for not going out right now! Hell if that crap wasnt all caked on the road id be riding all year. Im sure others feel the same way!
That might be true but the group last night was from in and around the local area. What were their excuses? lol

Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

your a true biker for sure! its snowing here in sunny calif as i speak. Im not gonna lie and say i ride in any weather like i used too, but if i were going to a motorcycle gig..ummm im thinking id ride my bike lol

Old 02-19-2013, 08:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

In my 20's & 30's I felt the need to man up and ride in any weather & temp so yes I know it's an ego / personal satisfaction kinda thing . I've bent & busted enough body parts so the only need I have when it drops in temp is to feel the heater , fug it . Besides man on the off chance a civil woman shows up she isn't gonna want hit that back seat trust me .

Old 02-19-2013, 09:01 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
In my 20's & 30's I felt the need to man up and ride in any weather & temp so yes I know it's an ego / personal satisfaction kinda thing . I've bent & busted enough body parts so the only need I have when it drops in temp is to feel the heater , fug it . Besides man on the off chance a civil woman shows up she isn't gonna want hit that back seat trust me .
As I said, I actually enjoy riding in the cold weather. Heated gloves and a couple of layers go a long way. Plus the days of picking up strange women at bars anymore have passed me by. At least none that are attractive. lol

I honestly went there to see other bikes. As nice as some of the people that showed up were, I didn't go for the social aspect. When I go to a group of riders, I expect to see motorcycles. Is that so far fetched? lol

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 455 Likes on 245 Posts

If it's a bar..... somefolks just like to drink, and would rather NOT ride, if they plan on "having a few"....

Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by skootchnc
If it's a bar..... somefolks just like to drink, and would rather NOT ride, if they plan on "having a few"....
They all used weather as the excuse. Plus, out of 25 people, I doubt 23 of them would decide to drive their cage because they were going to a bar. lol

Old 02-20-2013, 11:28 AM
RoaringRigid
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Ok so you rode in the cold they didn't. To each his or her own. It was a meeting of like minded people not a meeting to show off motorcycles. During the week day maybe many came from work an they don't want to deal with riding a bike and that may double or triple when it is cold and weather can get nasty.

I ride rain or shine cold or hot. I do it because I am me and I don't really ever think about what others do. That is the beauty of Harley, motorcycles this country. we can just kind of decide to ride or not.

Quick Reply: I Met Up With a Group From MeetUp Last Night. Sort Of Wierd Thing