"The Georgia Crew" This is the home of "The Georgia Crew," a place to hang out and have fun!

Daytona Bike Week 2015

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 08:57 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramblin5
Yep, that's where I'm staying. They did some remodeling after you were there. My wife and I stayed there last year for bikeweek and the room was fine. And the view was great. Couldn't beat it for the money. Now there is a place about 1/4 mile on up the road toward the pier that really is a dump. I stayed there a few years ago and that was a mistake. They've changed hands and names and I can't recall the name now. But that is one place to stay away from.
I'm glad they did some work. LIKED the people that owned it, but the "suite" was terrible. We stayed there to get out of Daytona itself, and enjoyed both the ride into Daytona and taking the backway "The Loop" into and out of Daytona. HOWEVER, wife was REALLY unhappy with accommodations and as you know, and unhappy wife is an unhappy life.

Don't know if we'll ever go back for Bike Week though. Only so much to see and do and we've done it twice. And honestly, the people watching is fun, but the jacked up pricing and the lack of decent riding keeps us from wanting to go back.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:28 PM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I laugh when people say there is nowhere to ride in Florida. It is a very large state. Ride south to the keys, west to the panhandle, southwest to Naples, or go north to St. Augustine. No reason to spend more 3-4 days in Daytona. I spend 10-11days every year in Florida during bike week. I take a road trip every year. There can be 2-15 guys. This year we have 11. Trip: Daytona, Miami, Keys, Ft. Lauderdale, Daytona. Countdown, five weeks.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:37 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe the terms "nowhere to ride" & "lack of decent riding" is meant to be taken as not enough roads, too few miles, no sites to be seen, ect. The fact is that there are an abundant of straight flat roads and they all share purdy much the same scenery in Fla., especially compared to other areas. JMO

Old 02-04-2015, 05:50 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

riding down on Monday with about 10 guys from work and staying thru the weekend....we have a couple of suites within walking distance from main st. Gonna try not to give too much money to the girls at Froggy's this time. Trying to plan out events to hit up. Damn sure going to the ******* Tropical chopper show that I missed last year and thinking about heading down to see a Braves spring training game. Not gonna visit my cousin in St Augustine and stay till after dark, only to ride home helmet-less, drafting behind 18-wheelers to attempt to stay warm with no windshield this time

Old 03-04-2015, 08:46 PM
RomperStomper
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gghostrrider
Planning on going. This would be my first trip, can anyone reccommend a hotel? Should I look for hotels in Daytona or some outlying area that may be cheaper quieter? Are any days considered better than others in terms of vendors? Also I've never ridden this far.

We usually go the last weekend Thursday - Sunday. A lot of good bike shows Will's Tropical, Last Resort, boardwalk etc. bigger crowd if your into people watching. Daytona definitely aint as busy as it once was (10 yrs ago). Location of hotel depends on what you like to do. There's a bunch in walking distance from Main St. if you like to party hard and then just walk back. If you don't already have reservations most of the time you can just show up and scoop up a cancellation. We've done it numerous times. Daytona is a lot more spread out north (Destination Daytona, Iron Horse) and south (Cabbage Patch) of Daytona so there are plenty of options. As far as riding just pack up all your s**t in between you and the sissy bar for a nice back rest and enjoy the ride. Wait till Saturday before you buy t-shirts, you can usually get some pretty good deals haggling with the vendors. I have to drop the fam off in Clw and then ride over from there on Thursday morning. We're staying at the Cackleberry across from Cabbage Patch.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:55 PM
JohnMB
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I just got back rode down Tuesday got back today awesome weather should have used more sun screen. I went to the Tropical bike show Thursday cabbage patch and of course main street etc.Had a great time.