Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > This 'n' That > The Gun Enthusiast
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

The Gun Enthusiast This forum is dedicated to firearms discussion only. Tell us about your favorite gun (stuff like that). There are to be "NO' anti firearms posts here.

P

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Senior Rider
Default 1911...do I have a ramped or non-ramped 1911 barrel?

I have been asked by a number of members what the difference is between a 1911 ramped and non-ramped barrel. I will link to pictures of each type.

Non-ramped barrel. John M. Browning's original design and still going strong in nearly all 1911 45ACP pistols produced by Colt, Springfield and others.
http://www.jarvis-custom.com/Product...8/Default.aspx
Standard barrel at the bottom, ramped barrel at the top. Note the ramp leading into the chamber on the top barrel. Hence, the term "ramped barrel".

Ramped barrel was develop to handle hot loads (very high pressures) with a fully supported chamber.
http://www.barsto.com/category_main.cfm?ID=COLT
BarSto developed the first ramped barrel for 38Super 1911 IPSC shooters. Prior to BarSto introducing the ramped 1911 barrel, these shooters were using non-ramped barrels and the guns were literally blowing up in their hands because of the unsupported chamber and high pressures.
Danny Gray 2UP
Wild1 560 bars
Progressive Suspension (F/R lowered 1")
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Supporter

Right but you got to machine out the pistol frame to accept the ramped barrel.

G-dawg's 2008 Screamin' Eagle Road King
My review of Kuryakyn LED Headlight
Ride like a Pro V
I'm not a slow rider; I'm not a fast rider. I'm a half-fast rider.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGdawg View Post
Right but you got to machine out the pistol frame to accept the ramped barrel.
Correct, or have Caspian do it for you when you purchase one of their receivers.
Danny Gray 2UP
Wild1 560 bars
Old 03-06-2012, 08:17 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Let me see if I can warm up this discussion. The ramped barrel, for Browning designs, was invented, (created), around 1923 when John Browning began working on the French military request for a new, "High Power" weapon. Because Colt purchased the patents for the 1911, Browning had to design around his previous weapon. The feed ramp locking lug and integrated barrel bushing are all products of that "design around".
Old 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

"Correct, or have Caspian do it for you when you purchase one of their receivers."

Right. That would be part of their barrel fitting process. A large part of the reason it can be very expensive.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Senior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
Let me see if I can warm up this discussion. The ramped barrel, for Browning designs, was invented, (created), around 1923 when John Browning began working on the French military request for a new, "High Power" weapon. Because Colt purchased the patents for the 1911, Browning had to design around his previous weapon. The feed ramp locking lug and integrated barrel bushing are all products of that "design around".
Browning was working on the "Hi Power" design at the time of his death in 1926. The "Hi Power" project was actually completed by his assistant Dieudonné Saive several years after Browning's death.
Danny Gray 2UP
Wild1 560 bars
Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbsdaddy View Post
"Correct, or have Caspian do it for you when you purchase one of their receivers."

Right. That would be part of their barrel fitting process. A large part of the reason it can be very expensive.
Not exactly........you can just specify a frame with a Wilson/Nowlin or a Clark/Para ramp cutout.........37 bucks for the machining.Nothing but a mill cut.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:46 AM
Senior Rider

Not very expensive at all to have Caspian do the milling.

Most pistolsmiths with a mill will charge anywhere from $100-150 to modify the receiver for a ramped barrel.

Why the difference in price compared to Caspian? In 2010, Caspian had 39 mills of various types setup to perform specific cuts. Independent 'smiths generally have 1 mill. Mine is a 9"x42" CNC 3 axis mill. It takes time to setup the machine to do each specific cut or checkering. I tend to only do checkering 1 week, slide work another week, etc.. This allows me to do more milling and spend less time setting up the mill.

Here's a good write-up and pictures of the Caspian operation.
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=27
Danny Gray 2UP
Wild1 560 bars
Old 03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Ultimate HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrider18 View Post
Not very expensive at all to have Caspian do the milling.

Most pistolsmiths with a mill will charge anywhere from $100-150 to modify the receiver for a ramped barrel.

Why the difference in price compared to Caspian? In 2010, Caspian had 39 mills of various types setup to perform specific cuts. Independent 'smiths generally have 1 mill. Mine is a 9"x42" CNC 3 axis mill. It takes time to setup the machine to do each specific cut or checkering. I tend to only do checkering 1 week, slide work another week, etc.. This allows me to do more milling and spend less time setting up the mill.

Here's a good write-up and pictures of the Caspian operation.
http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=27
Yeah,shop rates being what they are,if you save the cost of set-up time,it adds up to big savings.One reason to have Caspian do all the machining,and let your smith do just the fitting and build.Had them serrate the slide top,front sight cut,Bomar rear cut,cocking serrations front and rear,engrave,for 400 bucks,including the stainless slide.Mighty hard to beat that.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Ultimate HDF Member

"Browning was working on the "Hi Power" design at the time of his death in 1926. The "Hi Power" project was actually completed by his assistant Dieudonné Saive several years after Browning's death."

That's correct. But it was the feed ramp, incorporated in Browning's original design, that was being addressed.The feed ramp was incorporated because the French wanted a large capacity magazine. The browning staggered magazine, (a design usually assigned to Saive), did not feed directly into the barrel like the 1911. Therefore the feed ramp was employed to reliably guide the rounds from either side of the magazine.
It's nice to see someone else appreciates the HP.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

P

Tags
1911, 45acp, barrel, barrels, bushing, difference, frame, mill, nonramped, pistols, professional, ramp, ramped, receivers, springfield