The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Michigan Repeals Helmet Laws, Injuries Soar

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 AM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about the true facts:

https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/22214

Also need to factor in the large rise in licensed riders and the fact that many of the accidents are those without motorcycle endorsements.

Choice IS the right answer.

Last edited by bogiediver; 12-02-2016 at 08:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Roadghost (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Horsetrader
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live and ride in Michigan. Been riding for over 30 years. I have no problem with someone choosing to ride without a helmet. It's their choice. I use a helmet. Always will. I had a close call years ago, back in the day when they oiled gravel roads to keep the dust down. When a oil truck pulled back out on to the paved main road, he forgot to shut his PTO off and continued to oil an asphalt road. As luck would have it, I was coming up behind him. Might as well been on slick ice. The bike just slid right out from under me. I was fine, except for a few burns from the rivets on my jeans, but when I finally came to a stop and took my helmet off, there was a section on that helmet that had been ground right down to the foam. If I didn't have a helmet on that day, that would have been my brains exposed, instead of the foam in the helmet.

Like I said, it's a choice. But just remember this. If you wear a helmet, it's no guarantee that you will escape harm if you lay it down. But if you choose NOT to wear a helmet, you have almost guaranteed that you WILL be in trouble. That probably will not end well for you. I don't care how many years you have been riding, or how safe you are. **** can happen so fast, that you don't have time to react. Too many stupid people on the road today. Really makes me think about giving it up. So the next time you think about not wearing a helmet, keep that it mind. Not wearing a helmet does NOT make you more of man, or appear tougher. Just makes you look unwise. Hope that freedom I keep hearing about is worth it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Horsetrader:
AgainstTheWind80 (04-14-2022), Roni (04-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Yep ... a whole lot of useless, fact less, baseless opinions with no supporting material until "bogiediver" shows up. I also agree with "rons" assessment of the "Hackers" statement.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM
intewedm
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Author is full of hot air!

The author of the article is an obvious liar and fan of helmets! There is no reliable information that supports his claims. The reality is that in more than 50% of motorcycle fatalities, the victims were wearing helmets. The REAL problems are ROW violations, unendorsed riders, and alcohol use. Helmets won solve any of those issues!

Old 01-07-2017, 05:26 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

im in arizona, no helmet law, but still wear one. to many stories about people dying form falling and hitting there head, including indian larry.

The following 2 users liked this post by hotrod351:
18deluxerider (04-12-2020), Roni (04-02-2017)
Old 01-07-2017, 05:57 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by kfchd
You want to save money on head injuries, make people in cars wear helmets. Because of The shear number of head injuries you would save millions times more money.

It is not so much 'saving money' or the actual number of head injuries. More important, it could be argued, is the number of miles driven/ridden vs. the number of head injuries. At least when consideration is given regarding the cost to society. And any possible repercussions due to societal response.

Even more important, the people that drive cars wouldn't stand for such legislation. And they have the numbers, votes, to make legislators take note of their position. Unlike motorcycle riders which don't have the number of, especially of real committed, riders to influence legislator's actions. IMO

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-07-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:06 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 539 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by intewedm
The author of the article is an obvious liar and fan of helmets! There is no reliable information that supports his claims. The reality is that in more than 50% of motorcycle fatalities, the victims were wearing helmets. The REAL problems are ROW violations, unendorsed riders, and alcohol use. Helmets won solve any of those issues!
Good points!

But the real important, IMO, part of the issue can't be known. That is how many riders are involved in an incident of some sort and nobody but the rider, and perhaps the driver of another vehicle, knows about the 'incident' because the rider is able to get up and ride, or at least walk, away because a helmet prevented/minimized a head injury?

Not everybody is lucky enough to die instantly or soon after an incident. For most 'life' probably goes on.

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-07-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 582 Posts

I say let people choose. There's a real shortage of transplant organs in the US. If this helps reduce the backlog, then I am for it.

Of course, being the selfish bastard that I am, I intend to continue with my helmet. I put my bike down once where I am pretty sure that my full face helmet saved me a lot of reconstructive surgery to the right side of my face.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:03 PM
drcollie
Tourer
Received 314 Likes on 88 Posts

Bunch of us went out to Ohio to the Vintage Races at Mid-Ohio raceway. Since there was no helmet law in Ohio, and it was super-hot, we all decided to ride from the hotel to the restaurant which was about 5 miles away with no lids, just sunglasses. I have to say it was a nearly surreal experience for all of us, we discussed at dinner and to a man we all felt very naked, exposed, and extremely vulnerable. There were nine of us and that short jaunt was the only time we ran with no helmets. Its funny what you get used to.....

Old 07-07-2017, 09:20 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,901 Likes on 1,109 Posts

I wear a helmet, yet glad I live in a state where it's my choice.

Quick Reply: Michigan Repeals Helmet Laws, Injuries Soar