The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Michigan Repeals Helmet Laws, Injuries Soar

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 09:33 PM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior
Received 1,964 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by rjg883c
You are correct. And that explains why our helmet law, as it is now, was enacted in 1972. Riders wanted to give up their freedom in favor of a helmet law?

Unfortunately we don't always get to make our own adult choices about everything. Unlike 50 years ago, most motorcycle riders today aren't outlaw biker wannabes
or high school students. More riders today are mainstream society that have jobs, families, etc.. People, justified or not, that are more valued by society

Injuries to today's riders would have more impact on society and be viewed as more important. Do you really believe society, most of who would not ride or even knows anybody
that rides, a motorcycle would fight against new legislation aimed at curtailing bad effects of motorcycle accidents?

I just view helmets as the lesser of possible evils, that's all. That is why I'm not 'in', my answer to a question I was asked.

It's a slippery slope and I just see a danger in giving anti-motorcycle forces more ammunition.
Perhaps it's because we come from different backgrounds, geographic areas, skill levels, age/ethnic groups, political persuasions or whatever but you seem to be trying to hold some type of position or make some sort of point or argument that has confused me a few times here. This latest post has left me completely confounded, I'll have to admit, I have no idea where you're trying to go with this and so will just leave you to it and assume that you're fine with whatever it is you're ok with.

Old 04-20-2022, 10:52 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Midi
Perhaps it's because we come from different backgrounds, geographic areas, skill levels, age/ethnic groups, political persuasions or whatever but you seem to be trying to hold some type of position or make some sort of point or argument that has confused me a few times here. This latest post has left me completely confounded, I'll have to admit, I have no idea where you're trying to go with this and so will just leave you to it and assume that you're fine with whatever it is you're ok with.
You missed the chance to call me a hypocrite. Years ago I was claiming the same thing about personal freedom being at odds with a helmet law.

That didn't work when the helmet law, as it is today, was enacted in 1972. And it hasn't worked during any of the several times it was proffered over the last 50 years.

I think a helmet law is a lesser of possible evils. And with the increase in Vegas traffic, newer riders attempting to save money on gas, or ride for whatever reason, and different priorities
that the possibility of rules or regulations far more onerous then wearing a helmet are a possibility.

Is that clear enough? Another member asked if I would support ABATE or fight against the helmet law, I answered no and gave my reason.
That is no different then someone claiming they prefer sausage on their pizza.

You really don't understand the things you highlighted in the previous post?

Last edited by rjg883c; 04-20-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:23 AM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior

You missed the chance to call me a hypocrite. Years ago I was claiming the same thing about personal freedom being at odds with a helmet law.

That didn't work when the helmet law, as it is today, was enacted in 1972. And it hasn't worked during any of the several times it was proffered over the last 50 years.

I think a helmet law is a lesser of possible evils. And with the increase in Vegas traffic, newer riders attempting to save money on gas, or ride for whatever reason, and different priorities
that the possibility of rules or regulations far more onerous then wearing a helmet are a possibility.

You really don't understand the things you highlighted in the previous post?
What I highlighted are clearly opinions or misconceptions held by you that have no demonstrable basis in fact or reality whatsoever and frankly, are rather stunningly ignorant statements!

Have you ever ridden anywhere outside of Las Vegas?

You claimed to have read a lot but you don't seem to be aware of some basic history and information that should be essential knowledge for anyone posting in this sub-forum.

The feds attempted what was essentially blackmail against the states back in the early 70's by threatening to, or withholding, federal highway funds to states that did not enact mandatory helmet laws and so most states folded. It was later overturned and many states have since defeated mandatory helmet laws typically with the assistance of MRO (motorcycle rights organizations) like MRF and ABATE, most recently Missouri in 2020.

Just for an example this is a good read (but there is SO much more) for anyone who would like to be more informed or have a deeper understanding of the issues I'm interested in addressing and discussing here....
nhtsa.gov

You're aware that helmets are not mandatory in numerous states?

And I shouldn't have to repeat this time and time again but it seems a hard message to get across; no one would ever tell you YOU CAN'T WEAR A HELMET, in fact, I'm certain that most people would recommend or encourage that you do!

Last edited by Greg Midi; 04-21-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:24 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

The feds attempted what was essentially blackmail against the states back in the early 70's by threatening to, or withholding, federal highway funds to states that did not enact mandatory helmet laws and so most states folded. It was later overturned and many states have since defeated mandatory helmet laws typically with the assistance of MRO (motorcycle rights organizations) like MRF and ABATE, most recently Missouri in 2020.

And I shouldn't have to repeat this time and time again but it seems a hard message to get across; no one would ever tell you YOU CAN'T WEAR A HELMET, in fact, I'm certain that most people would recommend or encourage that you do!
That is my concern governments, local or federal, enacting new regulations to prevent injuries.

But I didn't start a thread suggesting helmet use. I was asked, in this thread, if I supported repealing the helmet law. I gave my answer and reason.
Is that difficult for you to understand?

Old 04-21-2022, 10:43 AM
07UltraGuy
Stellar HDF Member

Received 5,223 Likes on 1,807 Posts

There is no proof or evidence to even suggest that these individuals wouldn't have been injured anyway.
Circumstances, poor driving/riding habits, and plenty of other factors are to blame BESIDES the helmets that they weren't wearing.

I wear a helmet because it's not just the law here, it is also my choice to wear one.

I couldn't care less about what others choose to do with their own head; I do dislike the fact that it is a law however... it should be the rider's choice.

Old 04-21-2022, 10:53 AM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior

That is my concern governments, local or federal, enacting new regulations to prevent injuries.

Is that difficult for you to understand?
In summary, I'm passionate about my position on my God given rights and freedoms while you live in fear of what your overlords will do to you. Motorcycle advocacy groups fight hard to prevent what you apparently fear yet you fear supporting motorcycle advocacy groups, in my view Its self defeating pathology and a circular swirl down the drain but this whole discussion has become so bizarre I really have nothing more to add.

Old 04-21-2022, 08:49 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

In summary, I'm passionate about my position on my God given rights and freedoms while you live in fear of what your overlords will do to you. Motorcycle advocacy groups fight hard to prevent what you apparently fear yet you fear supporting motorcycle advocacy groups, in my view Its self defeating pathology and a circular swirl down the drain but this whole discussion has become so bizarre I really have nothing more to add.

You asked me if I was in favor of repealing the helmet law. I gave my answer and offered my reason before you asked.

If you might not like the answer, don't ask a question.

As I have posted several times, the freedom right didn't work over the last 50 years, and I'm just concerned that easily avoidable injuries may incur more oppressive things
then a helmet law. As you stated we have different experience, priorities, etc..