The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

N.Y. Assemblyman Introduced Motorcycle Bill to Protect Us Against Negligent Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 01:58 PM
edtahaney
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up N.Y. Assemblyman Introduced Motorcycle Bill to Protect Us Against Negligent Drivers

Read about it here:

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/ne...motorcyclists/

Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
llbigbird (05-23-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 PM
superslomo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think this is great and I am 100% behind such legislation. I am curious, however, as to why the writer repeatedly seems to say that there are motorcycles and then there are motor vehicles. How is it possible that a motorcycle with a motor and the ability to carry one or more people is not a motor vehicle, just as any four-or-more wheeled vehicles are? I realize it is semantics but it is important to speak clearly and correctly when you wish to be taken seriously. This is as serious as any subject out there and it deserves to be taken that way.

Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Until the penalties are severe enough to make people think twice or someone of importance relative gets killed by a distracted driver, nothing will change. This may be a first step.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Deleted

Old 05-20-2016, 04:35 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been a truck driver for close to 30 years with a birds eye view of the car next door you would not believe the things i have seen over the years.
I would love to see the stiffer penalties.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

In truth the bill is for all vulnerable people including cyclists,pedestrians and such. Unfortunately the bill is now downgraded to misdemeanor from felony for they action but it is something more than a moving violation

Old 06-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Automobile drivers need to certainly exhibit more care, as do all of us using the roads.
Saw a line of about 20 cars or more moving at about 12 mph in a 55 mph zone behind a bicyclist in one of those lay-down bikes on Rt. 5 near Utica a couple weeks ago.......the bike rider was not concerned in the least as to the traffic hazard he had created.
He be the first to cry foul if something happened...........
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:23 PM
RKC-Rider
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Wisconsin we have a law that penalizes driver for Right of Way violations for motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians beyond the usual $86.50 ticket. Currently the fine is up to $1000 and a license suspension for 90 days. The suspension can be waved by participating in a Share the Road driver class that is put on by the ABATE of Wi. ABATE of WI was responsible for this law being created. They also made sure that the law was being enforced in the courts which initially it was not. The law was proposed with much stiffer penalties originally but was modified to get something passed.
I wished the article did not quote any statistics from NHTSA. NHTSA does not have hardly any information or studies on motorcycle accidents. I would really like to see if they could back up the "33 times more dangerous than a car" statement that is quoted. So much of the data from NHSTA is made up and put into reports that people just keep regurgitating. It does not do us motorcyclists any good. These statements are made to justify creating more laws around what we do.
It sounds like everyone here is behind the Assemblyman's proposed bill. But how many of you belong to your state ABATE motorcycle rights organization or the MRF or the AMA? Do you even know what these groups do for you as a motorcyclist? Be a part of the solution, join one or more of these groups that fight for your rights. If you are willing to plunk $20k down on a bike but not $30 on a yearly membership, that's part of the problem. Membership is how rights groups have a strong influence on our governments. Look at the NRA. Motorcyclists are asleep at the bars when it comes to being aware of what is going on yearly at both the state and federal level of the government and also very unaware at how much their rights have been protected by a small group of hard working people in the organizations I mentioned. All I suggest is that you get out on the web and look at their web sites and see what is going and and decide to join up. (ABATE of Wi member for 11 yrs, Motorcycle Rider Foundation Member for 10 yrs).

Old 06-02-2016, 12:54 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

IMHO, the passage of this law will be meaningless in dissuading distracted driving. Where it may have an impact is removing the worst offenders from the road with jail time and/or keeping them off the road with suspended licenses. Of course to work, the judges and prosecutors have to have the ***** to enforce the law and violators will have to obey the sentence of suspension - good luck on both of those requirements. But hey, at least it's a step in the right direction.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:09 PM
llbigbird
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Folks are right that it will take more "bite" to the law to start making a real effect however I guess you could compare the effects of the drunk driving laws being improved to now include the fact that if drive drunk with kids in the car, the charge is a felony. Maybe the idea is to get the law on the books than work on making it stronger

Quick Reply: N.Y. Assemblyman Introduced Motorcycle Bill to Protect Us Against Negligent Drivers