The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Harrassed for Handlebars

Old 08-08-2014, 11:19 AM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by GRFXMAN
**UPDATE**
So, a few days after I received the ticket, I sent a letter/photo of me on my bike (via the Elk Grove Village website) to the Police Dept Services section. I had not heard anything for 2 weeks, so I had to assume they were sweeping it under the carpet, and I would just have to plead my case in court (Crook County, ya know). Well, much to my surprise, I get a personal phone call from the EGV Police Sergeant, who proceeds to APOLOGIZE for his officer's actions, and that I was not in violation. He stated his officer was sitting right there with him. He told me he will try to get me my license back ASAP, and that the ticket will be dismissed. Unfortunately it has already gone into the court system, so he did not have the physical license with him at the station. He mentioned that I may have to go to court simply to retrieve my license in person if he cannot get it back beforehand, which I am very relieved about.
The next day, I get another call from this sergeant, letting me know that he has contacted the States Attorney and is trying to get the license back to me before the court date...so I am now waiting to hear back. I also received an email from the Chief of Police, letting me know who the sergeant was and that everything was being done to try and get the matter resolved....
So as I see it, my letter to the Dept Services made it all the way to the Chief, who made the efforts to correct things. I was very professional, and did not degrade the officer in my letter - just detailed the facts. I am glad I did not let my anger take over. I feel confident the officer was reprimanded to SOME degree, although I will never know. Hopefully his efforts to ruin my day have backfired and this will all be over soon.
Apes Rule!! Now I am tempted to even raise them a lil bit more - just because I can...AFTER I get my license back of course...stay tuned
Good work, no surprise that they can't stand behind the ticket.

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
Unfortunately, laws are fluid and ever changing. Many laws, even speed limits are changed without notifying LE. Some kind of system huh? Glad everything worked out for you.
It's the job of the departments to keep up with changes in the law; this situation is an embarassment for them. They have their procedures for keeping up with changes, but someone apparently dropped the ball on this one.

Old 08-08-2014, 12:00 PM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cficole
Good work, no surprise that they can't stand behind the ticket.

It's the job of the departments to keep up with changes in the law; this situation is an embarassment for them. They have their procedures for keeping up with changes, but someone apparently dropped the ball on this one.
Yea, right. So when the bill is signed into law, what happens next?

Old 08-08-2014, 12:31 PM
GRFXMAN
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think many of the "questionable" tickets that are written just end up getting paid when the so-called offender decides its not worth the hassle to go to court and fight it...therefore the local agencies make their $$. In places where there are out-of-towners in for a rally or event - you can pretty much bet they wont be going to court to fight a ticket a month later.
In my case - there was no doubt whatsoever that I was in the right - and could prove it 100%. Otherwise I may have simply just paid it and moved along - which I assume that's what this cop thought I would do. I wonder what he thinks now, and if he got a shiny new rule book?? I still may avoid the area he patrols from now on, regardless. Fortunately its near my job, not my home...and I don't ride to work that often.
Thanks for all the support - I may not have written the letter otherwise

Old 08-08-2014, 12:35 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by CipoWins42
Yea, right. So when the bill is signed into law, what happens next?
I'm not familiar with the details of the process. I just recall hearing about police departments having periodic briefings on law changes.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 AM
GRFXMAN
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

** LAST UPDATE **
Happy to say I got a phone call Friday afternoon, just before leaving work, to say that my license was available to be picked up at the police station (on my way home). The Sgt. was very apologetic for the actions of the officer, stating he felt terrible about it, blah blah...OK - Nonethe less its done and over and I no longer have to drive on a ticket. My Apes have survived with no "adjustments" and can keep on flyin high.

The following users liked this post:
18deluxerider (04-12-2020)
Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Good news! All's well that ends well!

By the way, small world, I just moved to Idaho after living in Naperville for 20 years.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:32 PM
Galdog
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad it's working out for you.... Had a similar issue without a citation though; on July 7th I hit a sink hole in the road, did major damage to my wheels and tires. Knew I needed a accident report so called the cops. Everything went well at that point. Three days later I get a notice from the Indiana BMV telling me I don't have insurance on my bike (registration did not match the info they received) and they are pulling my license. What a mess.... I went to the police station because I had a feeling something wasn't right on the accident report, sure as **** he had put down a 2006 AMF, I couldn't believe it. They called the cop at home and he came right in and redid the report and resubmitted it. He said he was trying to enter Harley Davidson but it kept popping up AMF, but then all of a sudden it took. Gave the guy credit for coming right in and fixing it, and he apologized.