The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Harrassed for Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 AM
GRFXMAN
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Harrassed for Handlebars

Need to vent - had my weekend start off on a bad note after being pulled over on my way home from work. I was followed for a while - then stopped at the most inopportune place (left lane of a 3 lane st, ready to turn on entrance ramp for highway). Had to stop traffic, cross over 3 lanes, then was told to drive down the street a while, make a right and proceed to the next available lot - all this because of my Handlebars!
So - if the stop wasnt enough on its own, I have this cop tell my that my bars are illegal (above shoulder height). First off - they are LEVEL with my shoulders - but thats not the point. The law in Illinois states that the grips cannot be above HEAD height, as of January 1, 2013. I tell the officer this, whereas he states that is incorrect, and brings me his (RULEBOOK) where the (11-1403C) law states nothing above the shoulder. I respond that the law was changed over a year ago and point out that his book is dated 2012. He states he is unaware of any change - giving me the ciutation, taking my license, etc. Now I have to fight this in court - due to his ignorance of a law that was passed 19 months ago!! Now I have to take off work, go to court with photos, etc, which if any of you have had to do is a major PITA...after doing absolutely nothing wrong. I feel I was profiled, having tattoos, riding a shiny bike and a leather vest - along with a bored cop on a beautiful afternoon. Pissed off to say the least

Old 07-26-2014, 08:25 PM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Id just run by the cop shop and have the ticket torn up if he was wrong. he needs some time off to learn his job. Id file a complaint on him. I don't like talking to them let alone going in their nest but I will for something like that. I cant stand the police they are just colleting money for the county

The following 2 users liked this post by Dake:
18deluxerider (04-12-2020), Wallrider (09-27-2020)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:45 PM
V-TWIN VOODOO
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain, we have that situation down here in Florida with vertical tags.

Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

That's BS. Why doesn't he nail the guys weaving in and out of traffic 30mph above traffic flow that run around Illinois? I never felt threatened by ape-hangers, like I do by ******* drivers, when I am in Illinois.

Maybe a biker was banging his wife.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM
GRFXMAN
Advanced

**UPDATE**
So, a few days after I received the ticket, I sent a letter/photo of me on my bike (via the Elk Grove Village website) to the Police Dept Services section. I had not heard anything for 2 weeks, so I had to assume they were sweeping it under the carpet, and I would just have to plead my case in court (Crook County, ya know). Well, much to my surprise, I get a personal phone call from the EGV Police Sergeant, who proceeds to APOLOGIZE for his officer's actions, and that I was not in violation. He stated his officer was sitting right there with him. He told me he will try to get me my license back ASAP, and that the ticket will be dismissed. Unfortunately it has already gone into the court system, so he did not have the physical license with him at the station. He mentioned that I may have to go to court simply to retrieve my license in person if he cannot get it back beforehand, which I am very relieved about.
The next day, I get another call from this sergeant, letting me know that he has contacted the States Attorney and is trying to get the license back to me before the court date...so I am now waiting to hear back. I also received an email from the Chief of Police, letting me know who the sergeant was and that everything was being done to try and get the matter resolved....
So as I see it, my letter to the Dept Services made it all the way to the Chief, who made the efforts to correct things. I was very professional, and did not degrade the officer in my letter - just detailed the facts. I am glad I did not let my anger take over. I feel confident the officer was reprimanded to SOME degree, although I will never know. Hopefully his efforts to ruin my day have backfired and this will all be over soon.
Apes Rule!! Now I am tempted to even raise them a lil bit more - just because I can...AFTER I get my license back of course...stay tuned

Last edited by GRFXMAN; 08-08-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,342 Likes on 3,278 Posts

that is a good turn...sometimes it pays to be tactful.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:37 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,244 Likes on 8,380 Posts

Originally Posted by GRFXMAN
**UPDATE**
So, a few days after I received the ticket, I sent a letter/photo of me on my bike (via the Elk Grove Village website) to the Police Dept Services section. I had not heard anything for 2 weeks, so I had to assume they were sweeping it under the carpet, and I would just have to plead my case in court (Crook County, ya know). Well, much to my surprise, I get a personal phone call from the EGV Police Sergeant, who proceeds to APOLOGIZE for his officer's actions, and that I was not in violation. He stated his officer was sitting right there with him. He told me he will try to get me my license back ASAP, and that the ticket will be dismissed. Unfortunately it has already gone into the court system, so he did not have the physical license with him at the station. He mentioned that I may have to go to court simply to retrieve my license in person if he cannot get it back beforehand, which I am very relieved about.
The next day, I get another call from this sergeant, letting me know that he has contacted the States Attorney and is trying to get the license back to me before the court date...so I am now waiting to hear back. I also received an email from the Chief of Police, letting me know who the sergeant was and that everything was being done to try and get the matter resolved....
So as I see it, my letter to the Dept Services made it all the way to the Chief, who made the efforts to correct things. I was very professional, and did not degrade the officer in my letter - just detailed the facts. I am glad I did not let my anger take over. I feel confident the officer was reprimanded to SOME degree, although I will never know. Hopefully his efforts to ruin my day have backfired and this will all be over soon.
Apes Rule!! Now I am tempted to even raise them a lil bit more - just because I can...AFTER I get my license back of course...stay tuned
Don`t push your luck raising the apes. Also, I would copy the latest version of the law change and carry it with you in case you`re stopped again for the same thing.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
GRFXMAN
Advanced
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Don`t push your luck raising the apes. Also, I would copy the latest version of the law change and carry it with you in case you`re stopped again for the same thing.
I hear ya - was just being sarcastic. I love the bars the way they are, roughly 19" or so and fit me perfectly. And I DO carry that section of the law in my wallet already - printed one out the day I got the ticket.

Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM
CipoWins42
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, laws are fluid and ever changing. Many laws, even speed limits are changed without notifying LE. Some kind of system huh? Glad everything worked out for you.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:07 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

The way it was handled is definitely outside the norm. Good for you!

Quick Reply: Harrassed for Handlebars