The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 11:19 PM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?

Obviously, something collapsible makes sense. I know a lot are using sections of PVC. But I'm looking for hints and tricks and ideas, and I welcome pictures.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:06 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

With a tour bike like you have, here's a cheap solution that will pack right into your saddle bag. The pictures I'm posting are of a 13 ft. "golf ball retriever" that telescopes. There is a cup on the end that you cut off with a hacksaw. The last section of the pole is not used as it is too light, and is left collapsed into the second to last section which stiffens up the end of the pole.

The first picture shows the typical flag kit (on the right) with the vinyl bag it comes in. Note the retriever, on the left, fits in the same bag with the flag rolled around it.

The second picture shows it collapsed, with the flag folded over on itself, and ready to roll up.
The third picture shows it extended. The flag is attached with zip ties. The very last top section of this pole is too light to use, so it is not extended.

The third and fourth picture shows it extended. It is exactly the right length for attaching the standard 3x5 flag with zip ties. The final picture shows it in use. There is also a handy clip on the handle, made for attaching it to the top of a golf bag. That can be used to clip to your pants pocket so you can hold the flag pole with one hand. We've used ours for ten years now, and they still work well.

When attending a mission, I can open the saddle bag, remove the flag pole, close the bag, and extend the flag in less than 30 seconds.

You can also buy collapsible flag poles right from the PGR's store.

Edit: I just checked the national site, and they don't have it in stock, but do have a carry bag for it!

The golf ball retrievers are available at Wal Mart. There are two sizes, a nine foot and the thirteen foot. Cost about $15.00. Do a google search and you can find all kinds of them.

Attached Thumbnails What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?-dscf2867.jpg   What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?-dscf2868.jpg   What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?-dscf2869.jpg   What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?-dscf2870.jpg   What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?-bohlman-015a.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-12-2015 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:58 PM
58sniper
Tourer

Thanks for the info. I was at a weekly bike night on Friday and found the collapsible pole for $20 and snatched it up. Now just need to add the bag for it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:56 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Or, you could go to the PGR website, the store, and buy the collapsible pole that they sell. It's what I've been using for 4 years now.

The following users liked this post:
tar_snake (11-16-2018)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:38 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Another pole you might look at is a mono pod pole for a camera. They are only 5'6", but not a problem with a 3'X5' flag. Just take the shoe mount off the handle.
Also they have a very positive locking clamp on the sliding clamp. The others like PGR sells either won't stay locked, or you can't get them to collapse. I have been through 3 of those.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 PM
58sniper
Tourer

I've got the 6 foot telescopic pole, and so far, so good. 5'6" pole would be too short. A 3'x5' flag would touch the ground with no wind.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:42 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Originally Posted by 58sniper
I've got the 6 foot telescopic pole, and so far, so good. 5'6" pole would be too short. A 3'x5' flag would touch the ground with no wind.
I never set the flag down. I hold it at ease (hand on the bottom & lowered to side) & present arms (flag held bottom at lower chest & forward).
You don't use the collapsible poles for on the bike.
On my Trike the poles I use are 1 1/4" wood x 6', & 6.5'(US Flag). Right side is for the US flag Center flag is a service flag for their service served. left side is the PGR flag . All 3X5 flags. But my mount holds the bottom of the poles about 18" from the ground. The mount is on a trailer hitch with a riser.

Last edited by sloufoot; 07-19-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:37 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I have a collapsible pole and flag that fits in my saddlebag, but usually our group provides flags on PVC poles for uniformity.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,248 Likes on 6,008 Posts

I use a collapseable paint stick for flag and an old fly rod sock as a cover. The paint stick is an extender for paint roller. And the fly rid sock has the sewing that makes two pockets removed. I took flag on pole, cover with sock, and head out. Once I'm where I need to be, unfurl the flag and raise the pole.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:21 PM
BrianD90
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the pole sold right on the PGR website...only 19 inches stowed and over 6ft when extended.

Quick Reply: What's everyone using for a flagpole when standing guard?