The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

Parade Flag Holder

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,250 Likes on 6,010 Posts

center mount is fine if you fly only the US flag.
People often do not know which side is proper....I hate to be **** about these things, but I feel the proper etiquette is important when it comes to our flag. I love seeing all people flying the colors!!!

Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartanden
center mount is fine if you fly only the US flag.
People often do not know which side is proper....I hate to be **** about these things, but I feel the proper etiquette is important when it comes to our flag. I love seeing all people flying the colors!!!
http://www.indianalegionriders.org/d...s/Page1673.htm

Old 09-11-2014, 08:05 AM
ram3judge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

US Flag Only

If only the US Flag is on your bike, it should either be at the center, or to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective when facing forward.

US Flag And One Other Flag Of Any Type

If the US Flag is on your bike with another, it should be to its "marching right" - on the right side of the motorcycle to the rider's perspective. If the other flag is that of another nation, it should be the same size and at the same height of the US Flag - NO flag should ever be displayed higher than the US Flag.

US Flag And More Than One Other Non-National Flag

If the US Flag is on your bike with several other non-national flags (POW/MIA, ALR, Eagles, Service Banners, etc.), it should be at center and higher than any of the other flags.

US Flag And More Than One Flag Including Those Of Other Nations

If the US Flag is displayed on your bike with those of any other nation, the flags should be same size and at the same height, with the US Flag to marching right (right side of the vehicle), and others arranged in alphabetical order to the left. Other flags should be arranged in order of decreasing importance - Nations first, states (in order of admittance) and territories second, military third (in order of establishment), and then any others. Again, no flag should fly higher than the US Flag, but the US Flag should be no higher than that of any other nations displayed.

Rationale

It’s argued that, since the small bike flags we use are all but invisible from the front (when mounted on the rear), the concept of "Flag's own right" should be used with the vantage from the rear of the bike. (This would place the Flag on the on left-hand, rear of your bike). This concept, unfortunately, overlooks a more applicable concept.

If you equate the motion of your bike with marching, and you equate traffic with a procession, another portion of the Flag Code becomes the obvious choice for display of the Flag alone, or

with another:

Rule 9: "The Flag, when carried in a procession with another flag or flags should be either on the marching right; that is, the Flag's own right, or, if there is a line of other flags, in front of the center of that line."

The second portion of this rule does not work well with most motorcycles, since there usually is no means to mount the Flag in front (in the direction of travel) of the others if all flags are to be mounted at the rear of the bike. In this case, we rely on:

Rule 10: "The Flag of the United States of America should be at the center and at the highest point of the group when a number of flags of States or localities or pennants of societies are grouped and displayed from staffs." Included in this would be POW/MIA flags and American Legion Riders flags.

Finally, if you are displaying another country's flag along with the US Flag, they both should be at the same height and the same size, and the US Flag should be displayed on the right side (again, marching right). This is basically Rule 11.

Rule 11: "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace. The order of precedence for flags generally is National flags (US first, then others in alphabetical order in English), State (host state first, then others in the order of admission) and territories (Washington DC, Puerto Rico, etc.), Military (in order of establishment: Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard), then other."

Old 12-21-2014, 02:05 AM
DJFaninTN
1st Gear

nice looking custom mount

Old 12-26-2014, 04:47 PM
DJFaninTN
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JSH
Here is the mount for my 2007 Heritage. Custom made stainless steel from local shop. It was was given to me by some good friends.

John
nice set up

Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Tyrel M. Hanson
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roosterboots
Dog: post photos of your passenger foot pegs (if they're still on) and your sissy bar. I'm working on a flag mount that attaches to the pegs, using PVC and hardwood. First run was this morning with a single 3x5...there will be a few design changes before I'm done. If mine works out OK, you might want to put one together yourself.
Love the look of the flags on your bike, I'd really like to get a black holder for my '02 RK but I've seen just a bunch of expensive ones! Looks like I need a DIY product!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:33 AM
JT_HD
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

TooEasy

Hello, first off, thank you for an excellent write up on the rivco mount and bracing.

I'm attempting to reproduce the exact setup and I have 2 questions.

1st, your flags are attached to the clothes rod poles in what fashion? The picture looks like zip ties?

2nd, where did you get your toppers. I've been searching for toppers for 1.25" poles, but they all have a requirement stating the pole must have a 7/8" taper, which the clothes rods do not.

Thanks for your help!
-JT

Old 02-27-2015, 01:45 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Posted this once before, but can't find it. Here's what I did. It uses fishing rod holders made for heavy trolling and some extra aluminum I had laying around. It bolts onto the luggage rack.

The U bolts attach the mount to the bars on the luggage rack.

Bolted. to rack

Pins go through the flag poles to keep them in the holders.

Where's the parade?

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM
PatriotHawg
Novice

Have same mount for my bike - one to fly TEXAS Flag and the other for US Flag!

Old 03-16-2015, 04:05 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

I'm lucky to have a Trike that I can fly triple flags with. Always the U.S. Flag on the right , P.G.R flag in the center , Service flag on the left. All 3x5 flags with the pole for the U.S. Flag 6" taller than the others. P.G.R flag is sometimes replaced with a P.O.W, or Legion, or V.F.W flag if riding not under the P.G.R .
I made my own platform on a Rivco mount with a Rivco trailer hitch. I can't afford their tubes for the mount yet but shortly.... $50+ each !
I mount the flags on wooden 6'x 1-1/4" closet poles. with eye bolts screwed into the pole. I use small aluminum spring clips that latch from the flags in 3 places. I always have to put a center grommet in the flag.
Then I use a short bungee from the pole to the mount to keep them from coming out of the tubes. If we are going on the highway I try to always roll up the flags & use Velcro straps to secure them to the poles. I can also secure the pole from the lowest eye screw to the tour pac rack if needed.
For finals on the poles I use curtain finals, just caps with a side screw.

Last edited by sloufoot; 04-08-2015 at 02:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Parade Flag Holder