The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

PGR Ride for a Suicide?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 08:07 PM
wescoot2
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For all those who are living with PTSD, I hope you all are receiving compensation from the VA.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Did a mission last year for a suicide. He killed his girlfriend first. The family was very surprised that we showed up, it was hard, but well worth it just to see the families reaction to our support. The Army did not send him home in a nice casket.

He was in a cardboard box.

It was about 12 inches high........
Gotta call BS on this...we NEVER just show up unannounced; it's ALWAYS because the family contacted us first and requested our presence. Ride Captains talk with the family several times before any mission. Once the mission has been accepted and the mission details posted, the family is well informed that we will be there.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:30 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

SeaZund, see my post at #7 above. Even though we may be invited (and as you say correctly, we never come if we are not invited), a family of a suicide casualty can be very surprised that anyone comes....and that is not just the PGR.

The family deals with a lot of emotions, more than any family should have to deal with. In small hometown communities, a mourning family realizes that no one of us may understand, but we all care.

We (the PGR) come to honor the deceased service to our country, not to make judgments on how he/she died.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Sapper364
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree MNPGRider, as a Roman Catholic I was raised that suicide is the worst of sins. I will however ride to honor ones service and then pray for their souls. I have had 2 brothers in arms decide there was no way to continue and ended their own life. These were brave men and I never would have thought they would end that way, but my respect for them will not waiver.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:02 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cficole
Are you riding to honor service, or do you want to judge people before you decide whether to ride? Individual decision.

War has messed up a lot of heads; wounds are not always physical.

Yup.

Funny thing is that all of my "injuries" are not combat related... Actually, none of them are. My bones got a bad set of genes and I have a ton of issues for a 35 year old with 16.5 years in the Corps.

My mental issues are not combat related either. They are from recruiting duty (second young man that I put in the Corps killed himself after going on a VERY Deadly deployment and I carry the burden of not talking to him more to get him NOT to go infantry.) I have other issues that MAY stem from deployments with anxiety. Plenty of mortar attacks in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Until you FULLY know w persons story, don't judge. the picture is FAR bigger than you can imagine most of the time. Just over a month after the young man that I put into the Corps killed himself (FAR more to the story that I wrote, but it is personal to him and his family), I almost killed myself. After some thought, I decided that I wanted to know what he felt, but not put the pain on my family and friends. So, I put one in my leg instead. (BAD IDEA!! my mental state was OBVIOUSLY not where it needed to be!!!)

That was July 7th, 2009. I had been struggling with being sober since November 5th, 2007 (Still going strong on that!), was in the middle of planning a wedding (happily divorced now!) and was dealing with the strains of Marine Corps Recruiting Duty and planning a move back to the "Fleet Marine Corps" in Jacksonville, NC.

We all have our story. I don't agree with suicide, as I know what it does to those that are left behind to pick up the pieces. the question "why" is NEVR fully answered.

Maybe she had a very traumatic event happen in her life that the family kept private... you never know.

If you serve honorably, I will thank you, no matter how you exit this world.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapper364
I agree MNPGRider, as a Roman Catholic I was raised that suicide is the worst of sins.
that same book also says "love everyone unconditionally"

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 PM
ez_scooter
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Patrickd.............your a narrow minded SOB....if you don't understand an illness....do us a favor & STFU. There are idiots in ever walk of life.. you have taken up your share... sorry to have taken the time to visit your post.....you are a classless jerk.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,274 Likes on 11,144 Posts

As a new member of the PGR...I am proud that we to not judge. If the family or DOD requests our support, we do so without judgement or predjudicel

Old 06-17-2015, 11:28 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,067 Likes on 6,791 Posts

I have read that 22 veterans take their life every day. That is a serious statistic not to be taken lightly or ignorantly. I ride with the San Diego PGR. We ride to honor every service member for their sacrifice. We ride to honor the family who is trying to cope with the loss of their loved one. We ride for those killed in action, dying of old age, accidents, suicide, it does not matter. It is our mission and we are honored to do it.

It breaks my heart to hold a sobbing mother who must bury her 24 year old son. Unless it happens to us, we can't feel their pain; the son's or the mother's.

Tolerance, respect, honor seem to be in short supply these days.

Last edited by Sarah93003; 06-21-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:19 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,622 Likes on 5,178 Posts

A dead soldier is a dead soldier, I will not judge their twisted mind or soul. The ride nor the tears, are not for the soldier he/she does not need them anymore to late . They are for those left behind.

Quick Reply: PGR Ride for a Suicide?