Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > This 'n' That > The Queens Of The Road (For Women Bikers Only)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

The Queens Of The Road (For Women Bikers Only) "No Guys Allowed"

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 10-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Prospect
Default Backing up a bike

Totally frustrated. I am having a hell of a time pushing my bike backwards. All most thought about leaving my bike right in the middle if a lot yesterday. Some a** was snickering at me. Thank goodness some guy came over and pushed me back.
Some one told me that I just need to be real choosy when I park, but even then.
Any suggestions or tips?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 AM
Hang Around

I hear ya...I'm inseam challenged myself, and depending on the surface I can't get enough leverage with my feet to walk or back it up. In these cases I get off the bike and will walk it backwards/forwards that way: I'll walk on the left side of the bike, having it lean slightly against my body, and will hold both handlebars while covering the front brake. I use that method most of the time if I want to back the Sporty out of a parking spot, or even if I want to totally back it out of a spot, but then back it in facing the other way.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Prospect

Thank you. I am going to try that.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Road Master

I had that problem when I visited my Sis and she had a long, long driveway. The actual driveway was paved but the part leading from the road to the pavement (across the front lawn) was not. I was able to back off the paved part but got stuck in the soft dirt/sand. She was at work and couldn't help me. I eventually got off and pushed it back myself. It took a little finagling to keep the bike straight while walking back but I did it.

Keep that in mind for next time. Sometimes I really hate being short!

2012 Tri Glide: "The Chariot"
QOTR: Queens of The Road
FL Crew: No Rules - Just Ride
Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagirl View Post
Sometimes I really hate being short!
Thank you sharing, I appreciate your stories. Nice to know I am not alone. I second your comment!
Old 10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
Banned

Damn bikes are heavy! I can't believe that *** was snickering - I'da left the bike right there and gave him something to not snicker about...jerk.

I've always watched where I park. Steve STILL after all these years tends to forget I weigh 1/8th what the bike does and parks where he can! I just leave him there and go park where I need to. He shows up eventually. And if I am alone, I have gotten someone to push me. I can't get up and walk it back...way too heavy for me.

Practice practice! Good luck.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:45 PM
One Of The Regulars
dawn sinnott bastecki
Send a message via AIM to justpeachy14177

I have the same problem.. I tend to park where I can roll back into the spot.. today we rode to the dealer to get engine garuds for my bike.. my honey did a good deed and moved my bike into the shade.. when we left we got on our bikes to leave... i had to stare him down until he asked what was wrong.. uh I can't push it back.. i was on a small small incline... he being 6 foot "forgets" but hops off and pushes me back.. I hate it though.. I ordered a loweing kit for the front and new shorter shocks for the back.. It will take me down an inch all over.. Hopefully my backing up problem will be solved ..
it's tough being short we have to work even harder.. 5'2" here... on a street bob.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Senior Rider
Send a message via Skype™ to Captain(B)itch

I am 6' tall and would not want to walk my bike like Short Stop described. It's just too heavy, and I would be afraid to drop it. So I just watch where I park it. And when I still get in this kind of situation, there are usually nice guys around that come right away to help and give you a push.

Was the jerk a biker, or not? If he was a biker, he's a mega jerk. If not, I would have asked him "What's wrong with you? Don't you see I need some help here?!" That kinda talk usually reminds them of either their wife, or their mother, and they will jump to help right away. Trust me.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Road Warrior

I'm "vertically challenged" too at 5'2" and totally out of shape. Even with my front end lowered and shorter shocks, I still run into trouble and need a push now and then. Even a MINIMAL INCLINE of any sort is a bear. I just cant yank the thing back hard enough, and no way could I stand along side and walk it either. I really watch where I park, and if at all possible, back it in to the space. Problem is, when I stand up, I dont have much of a bend in my knee to get that leverage. And forget pushing it forward, especially if you have mid controls. I've gotten more bruises from my pegs hitting the backs of my legs than I can count. Man, I wish I was 5'5"!! Life would be so much easier.

BTW..GSD4EVR.......I LOVE THE PHOTO OF YOUR GSD!!! What a beauty! Is it a he or she and a name???
Sundowner Seat, Diamondback cables
5 3/4 Bullett Headlamp & HD Fog Lamps Progressive 430's, Kury ISO's & Dually's w/ Stirrups
Chrome Everywhere Else.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Prospect

After a few times getting stuck into a situation whereby I couldn't get the bike out, I now ALWAYS watch where I pull in.

Walking the bike back is also not an option for me 'cause it's way too heavy.

I once got stuck (on a gravel road no less) and there was no way I could get the bike backed out. It was also a time when I was riding alone. So I simply got off the bike and waited. Eventually a car came by and stopped and asked if I needed some help. A woman !! She got out and helped me by pushing it.

2006 Heritage Softail Classic
2010 Newmar Canyon Star 3920

http://www.sassysondaroad.blogspot.com/
Old 10-16-2010, 11:36 PM

P

Tags
backing, motorcycle, space