Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get more room on a 14sg between rider and passenger??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 11:39 AM
phat_ridegt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get more room on a 14sg between rider and passenger??

so my wife and i are bigger people, and its a snug/uncomfortable fit with the standard backrest. I know harley makes the adjustable backrest, and there is an ebay unit as well, but i'm not sure just leaning back is the answer?

I will be installed a C&C two up seat soon but is there anyway to move the backrest rearward an inch or two? any one have any ideas short of a tourpack with the relocation kit?

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tour pak with a Hammock seat.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:57 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

so are you talking about passenger backrest or the rider backrest? If they make an "adjustable passenger backrest" I didn't know it.

when I installed my "rider" adjustable backrest, I was pressed a little farther forward than I liked. To make it lean a little farther back, I made a spacer that I placed under the front mount of the backrest (so that it would tilt more).

to buy more room for you and your passenger, you will have to move that passenger backrest further back. not sure how to do that.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:14 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Best bet is to get an adjustable tour pack. I'm not aware of any passenger back rests that are adjustable.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM
make it faster
Advanced

I find it amazing how cramped a 900+lb bike can feel. I'm only 5'9" 190lbs. My girlfriend is considerably smaller than me and we always feel like sardines on the Ultra.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

HD adjustable passenger backrest.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...recline-chrome

I don't think this is gonna solve the OPs problem as all it is doing is tilting back, not actually moving the seating position back.

About the only way I know of to move the passenger back is with a new style tour back and a longer seat (if they even make a loner seat). I mean there is only a set amount of space between the back of the tank and the rear seat bolt.

Old 09-19-2014, 01:43 PM
AnotherBlackSG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

The biggest difference I've seen on my 08 SG is changing the seat itself. I normally ride with a Tall Boy seat, but the Sundowner gives my passenger more room/space. Another way to get more room is to take the rider backrest off. I used to do this with my daughter when she was bigger. Although, it made me a little "mentally uncomfortable" because I felt weird leaning back against her. Since she's lost weight, we use the Sundowner when she's with me.

BTW: the LAST thing I'd do is put a tour pack on an SG. IMO, it changes the whole low-profile look and turns it into a geezer-glide.

I find it amazing how cramped a 900+lb bike can feel. I'm only 5'9" 190lbs. My girlfriend is considerably smaller than me and we always feel like sardines on the Ultra.
I agree! My dealer lent me an Ultra while my SG was having some work done and it was incredibly uncomfortable - I'm 6' 3. I'm more than pretty sure that changing the seat wouldn't make a difference. The bike in general just seemed too small for me.

Last edited by AnotherBlackSG; 09-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
so are you talking about passenger backrest or the rider backrest? If they make an "adjustable passenger backrest" I didn't know it.
I have had one on my bike for about a year now and my girlfriend likes it a lot because it can be adjusted to tilt farther back or more forward to where she likes it. Were both in the bigger sized and it definitely works better than the stock fixed one.

Its basically a 2 piece setup where the upper part that has the pad has a toothed Y on either end that fits into reverse toothed tabs on either section of the base and you loosen the wheel ***** to allow the upper and lower pieces to loosen enough to adjust the top forward or back. When its tightened it is not moving at all because of the two parts lock together with gear type notched cut outs. It has maybe 6" of adjustment tilting the pad forward or back but that is actually quite a lot for passenger position.

Here is a link to a current listing from the fleabay seller I got mine from, I got the sissy bar and stealth rack combo. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Detachable-B...item4aba085200

Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM
phat_ridegt
Cruiser

thanks for the input guys. i need to buy a new passenger backrest anyway so im going to try the hd adjustable one. not for sure if that will solve my problem or not though. i dont want to put a tourpack on the bike...i would have just bought an ultra ya know.

i thought i saw somewhere about some brackets that moved the 4point mount rearward a little?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Same problem here. A fat wife. I have been looking for a backrest that's sits her a few inches back, but have not been able to find one. I am stunned someone has not made and mass marketed one, given the VAST number of chubby chicks I see on the back of Harleys. It seems that there would be huge market for such an item. Especially given the number of very healthy people I know who complain about this.

Quick Reply: How to get more room on a 14sg between rider and passenger??