Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose metal sound when light throttle

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:44 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xupd42bmg
Thanks for the replies. I live in middle tn and the temp is in the 80's. This is a new sound. It's really amplified in 4th and 5th gear. Full throttle doesn't seem to do it. Maybe 1/4 throttle,enough to make the bike pull. I have the cheap cfr knock offs and sac. No download or tuner . I thought pinging would be from to much fuel and not enough air or am I backwards?
With your setup it sounds like your too lean...those pipes and ac will pull your AFR off..try an Xied before you ruin the motor. They are cheap and effective for what your experiencing.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 AM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Now my question is. I have a trip to the smokies coming up this weekend. If octane boost fixes the ping do you think I'll be ok using that to get me by till I can get a tuner?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:52 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think so

Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

so many things can cause a metallic rattle at certain rpms. some internal and some external. Internal: what year bike? I don't think you mentioned. How many miles? If 2006 or earlier, the cam chain tensions could be worn enough to throw off the cam timing a bit. could be in the primary, a little chain slap. You have slip-ons and a freer breathing AC. do you have HD's stage 1 download? you can invest in a tuner, in Xied's etc or pop over to your dealer and have them do the stage 1 download (I know, not the best, and will maintain EPA compliance (i.e. Lean)
External: most have mentioned heat shields. I've chased down some external rattles in the past and over 115,000 miles (2 bikes) I have found the following:
Rubber bumper on jiffy stand (older models the rubber was on the frame, newer on the stand) was missing causing the jiffy stand to vibrate against the frame. Another time, my clutch cable adjustment was off (too much free play) and the clutch lever was rattling at certain rpm. Another was my windshield bag rattling against the windshield. Another was shift lever rattling. the list can go on.
You say only happens in 4th and 5th gear - if it is rpm related, you'd hear it in any gear.

Sometimes mine will just make a noise for while and then go away... i've learned to live with it sometimes.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts

you need a tuner on that bike prior to doing a long trip up mountains. That elevationwill lean that bike out even more. The CFR knock-offs and the real thing are tough to tune with how big they are. Not having a tuner is asking for trouble.

Good news is, the tuner is a simple quick thing to get you going. Find on your way and plug it in. Put a basic map with your mods and use it.

Old 09-20-2014, 12:18 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

check that you didn't lose one of the flange nuts; where your exhaust pipes attach to the heads.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:23 PM
11rkc
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I accelerate in 4th gear I hear like loose metal, ticking sound. I've researched and see the usual these are loud engines. I thought it was my gremelin charm but unfortunately it was not...
Just a shot in the dark. Had similar noise. It was caused by loose rivets and cracked bracket mount on my Pro Pad Mini Beast 2 air horn.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:59 PM
xupd42bmg
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Forgot to mention. It's a 2011 street glide with a 103. Almost 19k miles. Compensator already replaced. I put in some octane boost from my local gas station. Didn't help much. Maybe just cheap crap. Anyway called the place that did my compensator and he's going to check it out Monday. If it is engine ping he'll sell me a SEST for $405 out the door with free downloads any time I need them. Only about $200 more than a download so I figured what the hell.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to mention. It's a 2011 street glide with a 103. Almost 19k miles. Compensator already replaced. I put in some octane boost from my local gas station. Didn't help much. Maybe just cheap crap. Anyway called the place that did my compensator and he's going to check it out Monday. If it is engine ping he'll sell me a SEST for $405 out the door with free downloads any time I need them. Only about $200 more than a download so I figured what the hell.
I think your on the right track, the tuner will help you. Octane boost would not be the answer..

Old 09-21-2014, 11:03 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

1 Bottle of Octane Boost will increase the octane rating in your tank by about .01% regardless of what it claims to do on the label so that is definitely not going to help you out. The tuner will.

Quick Reply: Loose metal sound when light throttle