Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 front wheel road king and lower rear

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:37 AM
sacchino
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21 front wheel road king and lower rear

I tried the seatch tab, but not luck...
I want to put a 21 front wheel on my 09 King, since then the front is going to raise i just thought i would need a lowering front spring to go back...do u guys thing i need to lower the rear as well?

Old 09-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Kennypatterson
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people will tell you no, some will tell you yeah. I put a 21 on my Street Glide and I did lower the front. At 5'7" I couldn't afford the slight raise in the front end. Rides like a dream. Air ride in the rear.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

If you don't lower it, it will ride like a 'cutter through ice' ie high as the rake remains the same but the taller wheel/tire will raise the front!
I just fitted a 23" and as I also used raked trees I did not need to lower the front but I did cause I wanted a slammed look, I am already using bitchin bagger rear shocks which are 1.5 lower.
Guess it all depends on the 'look' you are trying to achieve.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

This is all personal preference. Do you care how it looks, how it rides or both? I put taller 13" shocks on teh rear of my FLTRX and stock height mono tubes in the front when i did my 21" wheel. Depending on waht year and model RK you have you might already have 13" shocks. The raise in height with a 21" wheel is not enough to make me want to lower the front end and take travel out of the forks.

I seek ground clearance, not a slick ,lowered look while parked as I have had bikes I did that too and decided that with this bike I would make the bike more functional than anything else. For the type of riding I do ground clearance and handling is more important than anything else. That being said it is still an 850 lb Harley Davidson but i did what I could do within reason to make it ride how I want it to.

My advice to anyone putting a 21" front wheel on is to ride it with the wheel before you do anything. Everyone reacts to changes differently but I prefer my 21" with added height as it gives me more ground clearance. I would never lower the rear of a bagger as you are asking for a rougher riding bike, but that is just my opinion. My bikes is not going to put in any shows, it's purpose is to be ridden.

Old 09-22-2014, 11:41 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would agree with hog pro. I bought the front lowering kit and now it is sitting unused. I already have the back lowered 1.5. It does seem to be individual preference. I like the 21 and not lowering front because the forks look too short when lowered.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:51 PM
sacchino
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess i want a slammed look but of course it must remain functiona , the king is a 09 so 13 in the rear ...as for the front i' m looking for the progressive monotube lowering 1", if bellgnte has this kit sitting i can buy it

Old 09-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sacchino
i guess i want a slammed look but of course it must remain functiona , the king is a 09 so 13 in the rear ...as for the front i' m looking for the progressive monotube lowering 1", if bellgnte has this kit sitting i can buy it
The mono tubes will certainly enhance the ride quality. Gone will be the excessive dive in the front end when you hit your brakes. There is obviously better stuff out there than mono tubes (Ohlins cartridges) but within a reasonable amount of money this is one of the best upgrades I have done.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:05 PM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sacchino
if bellgnte has this kit sitting i can buy it
Sorry bud, I have the drop in kit sitting here and not the mono tubes. Otherwise I would sell it to ya

Old 09-22-2014, 02:39 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the lowering springs in my my old RK with a 21' wheel. It looked super nice, but the ride quality was a little lacking. When I got my RG, I used the same 21' wheel but this time I opted for the stock height Progressive monotubes. The ride is better than the RK and handles the corners a lot better as well. The choice is up to you!!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by austinslider
I had the lowering springs in my my old RK with a 21' wheel. It looked super nice, but the ride quality was a little lacking. When I got my RG, I used the same 21' wheel but this time I opted for the stock height Progressive monotubes. The ride is better than the RK and handles the corners a lot better as well. The choice is up to you!!!!
I'm glad someone else feels the same way I do.

Quick Reply: 21 front wheel road king and lower rear