Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low to go for a shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:03 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though my shield is the standard mustache look over height, I've never understood the rain example. Whether I'm looking through a windshield, sunglasses, or a face shield... my visibility is still impaired because of the rain.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:39 PM
Badlionsfan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenGlide
Even though my shield is the standard mustache look over height, I've never understood the rain example. Whether I'm looking through a windshield, sunglasses, or a face shield... my visibility is still impaired because of the rain.
You really don't get how looking thru rain covered glasses or face shield then thru a rain soaked windshield (that's probably fogged on the back side) is worse than being able to look thru said windshield?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:31 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Badlionsfan
You really don't get how looking thru rain covered glasses or face shield then thru a rain soaked windshield (that's probably fogged on the back side) is worse than being able to look thru said windshield?
Not really... I seem to have more problems with glasses or face shield fogging up than the windshield fogging up. But then again, I've never continued riding very long in a good downpour. If it's bad enough to reduce my visibility, I'm more concerned about cars visibility to see me. I generally pull off and wait it out if it's that bad.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Badlionsfan
Advanced

You can wipe your face shield or goggles off (I have a pair of gloves with a rubber strip on the finger for said issue), but it's a little difficult to wipe the windshield. I'm sure you could rain-x it, but to me it's just too many layers of plastic and water, especially at night with glare.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:34 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanface
I bought my FLHP used and I've been slowly picking away at the unnecessary parts. It's a retired police bike from a local department so as you can imagine, I've had my hands full. The bike came with windshield that's too high. I'm a fairly tall dude (6'2"), I want a shorter shield. How short should I go?
On my 2014, I wound up with a 6" with a recurve after three different ones.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:48 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

I like mine to hit me at the top of the bridge of my nose right between the eyes.

Old 09-22-2014, 02:12 AM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
You just answered your own question! I prefer to look THROUGH my windshield. Others want to look OVER it. It's just personal preference.
My experience has been... looking through is fine as long as it not raining. Our windshields do not have enough curve or cantor to run the water off fast enough. My electra glide is very dangerous in a misting rain....from the sky or the ground.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Pull over until it stops raining?! Ye gods, you'd never get back home over here! It's impossible to cure rain sticking to a windshield, hence looking over it, but there is an arsenal of stuff available that can improve visibility through visors and spectacles.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:11 AM
mayhemmaster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ 5 ft 7 i get away witha 4" shield , with a pair of sunglasses on its great

Cooler weather i throw on the stock windshield

Attached Thumbnails How low to go for a shield?-f-1.jpg  
Old 09-22-2014, 06:48 AM
FLHPete
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Meanface, I'm also 6'2" and ride a Road King Police. The 22" cop shield works for me in touring mode (w/ big 2-up seat), but I use the 20" stock shield for solo riding (w/ RK Custom seat). This combo works great for me. Occasionally I'll used the 22" in solo mode if I need the extra protection (extended highway or rainy riding).

Quick Reply: How low to go for a shield?