Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How low to go for a shield?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM
Meanface
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How low to go for a shield?

I bought my FLHP used and I've been slowly picking away at the unnecessary parts. It's a retired police bike from a local department so as you can imagine, I've had my hands full.

The bike came with windshield that's too high. I'm a fairly tall dude (6'2"), I want a shorter shield. How short should I go?

Old 09-21-2014, 12:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The rule of thumb for a conventional shield is nose high. That way you can look over the top, or slouch and look through it, which will give you the best protection against wind, especially at higher highway speeds. If you are thinking of looks or style over function, bear in mind that wind takes the shortest route. If you chose a low windshield the wind will hit you straight off the top edge.

Old 09-21-2014, 12:51 PM
Meanface
Cruiser

Not looking for style. The shield is purely functional. My big thing is to not have to look through it when I'm riding in the rain

Old 09-21-2014, 01:02 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Meanface
Not looking for style. The shield is purely functional. My big thing is to not have to look through it when I'm riding in the rain

You just answered your own question! I prefer to look THROUGH my windshield. Others want to look OVER it. It's just personal preference.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
Meanface
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
You just answered your own question! I prefer to look THROUGH my windshield. Others want to look OVER it. It's just personal preference.

Yeah, true, but some people use recurved and once you start looking at those, things get confusing. That's why I like asking people on the forum.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:20 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,402 Likes on 21,386 Posts

Most metric riders are used to looking through their shields.
Then when they switch over to HD's they run em' like that.
That's my take on it anyway.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:08 PM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is better a bit high than low. Low ones just drive the bugs up your nose farther! I usually get around eyeball height when you are slouching so you can pop up a bit if you have to look over and hide behind it when you need to.

Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 PM
Badlionsfan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like mine at nose level. I don't like looking thru it, as I ride thru the cuyahoga valley nation park to and from work, and this time of year there's a lot of fog.

I bought mine from fxr_dave on eBay. Smoked lexan, 6" tall and fit perfect, all for $30. Might be the way to go for you since you may want to try a few different sizes to see what ya like best.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:37 PM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm 6ft. and use a 8" windshield. Tried a 6" and didn't like it, too much wind buffeting. The 8 is low enough to look over. Found that this size is good in the rain as it allows you to look over rather than through. Had taller windshields and rode in the rain, and it was terrible. Had a hard time seeing the road due to having to look through a rain splattered windshield.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:49 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

I've been riding behind windshields for over 40 years! Nose high if you want to be able to look over. The 'rule' hasn't changed since before then!

Quick Reply: How low to go for a shield?