Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Tour-Paks

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Iron 1250
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Copy of a Mutazu!

I got this one off eBay (item number 380813235357) it was very cheap. I had a painter who does work for me apply the paint and a H-D badge I also got on eBay and fitted it to a detachable rack. I have adaptor plates that let me use it on a solo or two-up rack as I see fit.
I did a long trip and had a bag on the rack which forced the catch to pop and damage the tour pack. I have engineered a solution to this now, however, in reflection I would probably look at the Mutazu H-D tour pack copy if I did this again. I have dealt with them for a couple of items for this unit (new catch and a slimline backrest) and found them to be very helpful. In saying this do your sums on cost as once the paint is applied you may not have saved much.
Size wise this unit is good and I haven't found it to leak. Having done some serious touring on this bike now I wouldn't be without a tour pack.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I whipped up a web page that has a bunch of photos of my Mutazu tour pack. The page isn't very fancy, but it does the job. (If I had more time I'd do a better job, but I'm lazy.) It displays some of the modifications I needed/wanted to make. Since I did it in just a few minutes it may not seem very organized. If you don't like the way the page is designed I can refund your money.

http://franktherealbiker.com/tour-pak.cfm?

As I was taking some photos I noticed a crack on the inside of the lid at the front right in the middle where the center mounting bracket fastens. When I originally installed it, the middle bracket came loose from the rubber grommet thingy, so I fabricated a more solid mount. Perhaps that is what caused it to crack. OTOH, the backing plate is quite small and maybe it doesn't have enough surface area to spread the force around. Maybe it is due to both the small plate and my bracket.

Anyway, I'm not happy with the mounting system for the backrest. I plan on developing an alternative method for fastening it to the lid.

That is my only real complaint with the Mutazu King Tour-Pak. It isn't a deal-breaker, but I am kinda disappointed.

Last edited by Frank the Real Biker; 09-23-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Taz_FL
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, I'll be watching this thread since my plans for my new roadglide include a quick release tourpack for the wife. I did a similar setup on my last bike (Kawasaki vaquero) using the Mutazu trunk and it worked great. I'll either be doing the same or trying to get a good deal on a used MoCo trunk off ebay.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:41 AM
frozensoul
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the cheaper ebay one with the notion I would only use it a few times a year. now I find myself not wanting to take it off, I use it for just about everything. yeah I know its the cheaper one but it looks good on thebike and does what I need it to. if ever trade someday ill get a ride with the factory one but im good for now.

Attached Thumbnails After Market Tour-Paks-box-048.jpg   After Market Tour-Paks-box-050.jpg  
Old 09-23-2014, 04:44 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by somorkc
which ebay one did u go with painey? have looked at all of them fifty times and haven't made a choice on one yet. think im going with the woods fairing though.
thanks
Jim
Hey Jim, this is the one I brought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300905062036

I added a HD steel plate in the bottom but apart from that very hppy with it, maybe not the cheapest but quality is excellent

Old 09-23-2014, 07:57 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

The '14 pack can be purchased on line factory painted to match most bikes with the new backrest for under $1000. Once your OL sits on a '14 she will not want the old backrest.

Just sayin

Old 09-23-2014, 08:45 AM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I had one of these guys' chopped tour-paks on my Road King. They're fiberglass. Can't get them color-matched (to my knowledge) except for plain black. Once you paint you're in the ballpark cost-wise of a new HD plastic tour-pak. But as for quality, fit/finish, and service, these guys are good:

http://powerproductsparts.com

Old 09-23-2014, 01:07 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I had one of these guys' chopped tour-paks on my Road King. They're fiberglass. Can't get them color-matched (to my knowledge) except for plain black. Once you paint you're in the ballpark cost-wise of a new HD plastic tour-pak. But as for quality, fit/finish, and service, these guys are good:

http://powerproductsparts.com

I have one of their chopped paks also. It's heavy fiberglass, imo it's better to have a lighter product mounted that far aft. The lid mould is a perfect HD copy, the bottom section on mine looks like they tried to sand out some imperfections in the gelcoat that left a few waves after they polished it and will have to be faired before painting. Cheaper in the long run to buy an Original HD prepainted from a online HD dealer. Right after Thanksgiving many local HD dealers run a 15 to 25% off sale including special orders. Either will would be damaged in a wreck and replaced by insurance therefore I see no benefit to a heavy product.

I also bought their forward docking detachable rack, the moment arm is too long causing the tourpak to shake and it's starting to rust on the underside. Switching to a '14 mount, cheaper and mounts to the rear dock.

The owner of PowerProducts is very nice and has the best aftermarket fiberglass paks however I would purchase a factory pak next time.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:55 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

That is a 50 liter CooCase with liner, security alarm, quick release with hidden handle and fob to lock/unlock. All for $229.

Installed it on a luggage rack. Matched the HD Black Denim to a T.

Used it for two years now.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:43 PM
batone
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a vivid black OEM HD king tour pack that I had completely taken apart and repainted. Replaced all the hinges, locks and back rest. Sold street glide, never installed, just sitting in my garage Someone make me a reasonable offer. I have about $700.00 in it, but I'm negotiable. Sorry for hijacking your thread....

Last edited by batone; 09-26-2014 at 10:47 PM.

Quick Reply: After Market Tour-Paks