Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After Market Tour-Paks

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 05:45 PM
rmartino99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Market Tour-Paks

Thinking about adding a tour-pak to my 2007 Roadking, any suggestions on after market tour paks compared to OEM

Old 09-21-2014, 05:54 PM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I just bought a fairing factory razor pak. Should be here in a few days. I'll let you know the quality of it before bodywork & paint!

Old 09-21-2014, 08:36 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I asked a similar question not long ago. The general response was to look at the Mutazu King Tour Pack, or a used factory tour pack. Pretty much anything else will look like an aftermarket trunk that you cheaped out on. I am currently running a custom made, hand tooled leather tour pack. Its a cool a$$ trunk, but will not carry as much as a MOCO sized unit. I hate to spend the money to replace it with a larger unit that's no where near as sweet looking, but I simply need the space that the larger factory tour packs provide. Also, something to consider..... the 2014 and newer tour packs are WAY, WAY, WAY larger than the 2013 down tour packs. Yeah, I get they are ugly as sin, and really don't look like the tour packs I have come to accept as..... OK. But man, they are BIG AND SPACIOUS. And that carries a lot of weight with the wife.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Last year, I bought the Matzua King tour Pak with the metal plate at the bottom.
I haven't had any major problems with it. The tour Pak fits perfectly onto my streetglide. The only change was to install the Harley lock so that I can use 1 key for everything. I've gotten more than 2500 miles using thn tour Pak without any issues. Also, you can pull it off easily. Honestly, I ant justify using the OEM tour Pak vs.mafter market.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:48 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 781 Likes on 302 Posts

I recently bought/installed the Mutazu King tour pack. Bottom line...I'm satisfied for the price. The fit and finish was fine, but the hinges and latches are cheap. The tour-packs come in black. It matched my bike perfectly. It isn't quite as sturdy as an HD tour-pack, but unless you are really hard on it I would expect it to last a long time. I had their smaller trunk on my bike for about 6 years and it held up fine.

I opted to buy and install the "oh-fishul" high dollar HD hinges and latches. Had to do a small amount of adjusting and altering to make the latches fit properly, but it wasn't a big deal. Hinges went on without a hitch. The backrest cushion is cheap, but functional. I also purchased the HD metal plate for the bottom of the pack.

Most of the various fasteners were loose when it arrived. Appears that some were just finger-tight. If you get one I suggest that you check every nut and bolt to make sure they are tight. (The bolt for one end of the lid tether came loose on mine and allowed the lid to flop completely over, bending the original hinges. That is what prompted me to go with new HD hinges and latches.) The link below goes to a thread about that.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...up-tether.html

The light fixtures looked like they might not be sealed real well on mine. I used some putty tape to seal 'em up on the inside...just in case.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...ants/97741.htm

I replaced the foam seal on the lid with some better and thicker weather strip that I had in the shop...just in case.

Speaking of leaks, the first time I had it out in the rain I noticed water in it when I got home. Hmmmmm. Happened again the next time it rained. Finally discovered two tiny holes in the lid. Maybe 1/16th inch or smaller. They are on the top front part of the lid near the front corners and almost covered by the back rest. They appear to be intentionally drilled there, but I have no clue what they are for. A temporary fix was a tiny piece of electrical tape until I found some black anodized machine screws to stick in there. You can hardly see them. It is not a cosmetic problem at all.

Even after buying the new hinges and latch (bought a new HD lock that was keyed to my bike, too) it was still much less expensive than an HD tour-pack. If you need to have it painted to match your bike you should take that cost into consideration.

Ooh. Ooh. I forgot to mention that installing the new lock in the latch required a bit of alteration, too. Had to use a couple of washers here and there to make it function properly.

I did a lot of alterations and modifications to mine, but I alter and modify everything. Some of the modifications weren't really necessary, but it's in my nature to modify things. If you come to my shop and see something that I haven't modified, be sure to tell me so I can modify it.

Overall I'm pleased and would buy one again.

YMMV

Old 09-21-2014, 11:58 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 370 Posts

lets get some pics up for reference

Old 09-22-2014, 07:31 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 205 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's mine of a eBay seller, perfect clone of a Harley one, even down to the indentation for the decal on the top lid.
Quality excellent and came with backrest (gotta keep OL happy). Even with paint still came out much cheaper than a original HD one

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 AM
somorkc
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which ebay one did u go with painey? have looked at all of them fifty times and haven't made a choice on one yet. think im going with the woods fairing though.
thanks
Jim

Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM
phatman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the matuza or whatever its called. They had a cvo style king tourpak on their ebay store but not on their website. I ordered up and everything is good. Like others stated the latches and lock are a little flimsy but im going to change those out this winter when I paint it. For the money its well worth it. I definitely would buy one again.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Mutazu king here, replaced all the hardware for Harley stuff. Had it for years issue free.

Quick Reply: After Market Tour-Paks