Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike Barely turns over

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 06:25 PM
KingCripps
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bike Barely turns over

Hey, I need some help diagnosing a problem. 2010 RK, 103 with compression releases, 255 cams. The bike barely turns over and starts. When it is hot, it seems to compression lock and barely turns over and starts. I don't know if it is a starter, the battery, compensator or what the problem might be. I do use the old trick and not allow the fuel to build to pressure and that helps some, when I remember. How do I diagnose? The compensator was replaced with one of the newer revisions than stock, the battery is 2 years old and connections are tight.

Could it be the starter? The stress of not having compression releases and such for the first couple of years could have taken a toll on it.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer because they know less about these bikes than you do.

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:30 PM
DresserDude
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

If the problem just started not turning over, I'd check your 4-5 year old battery.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:52 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Have your battery load tested.
A failing battery will display the symptoms you listed.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:09 PM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like battery to me

Old 09-21-2014, 10:56 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Either it's the battery or the CR's if they're automatic they may have disconnected themselves from the ECU somehow or the CR fuse is gone. Can you hear the CR's click when you turn the key on?

Old 09-21-2014, 11:23 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll bet its the battery or battery related. You are describing the exact same symptoms my 2010 had when its battery was heading south. I put a multimeter on my 3 year old battery and and it would test like new. Leave the multimeter on it and hit the start button and it would drop under 10V. That was enough to cause the exact symptoms you describe.

Also, make sure your battery connections are not just tight, but properly torqued. The proper torque is required to get a good connection.

Good luck.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:41 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 410 Likes on 219 Posts

If all you have done is 255's, intake and exhaust, you don't need compression releases. Battery problem though.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:09 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by KingCripps
Hey, I need some help diagnosing a problem. 2010 RK, 103 with compression releases, 255 cams. The bike barely turns over and starts. When it is hot, it seems to compression lock and barely turns over and starts. I don't know if it is a starter, the battery, compensator or what the problem might be. I do use the old trick and not allow the fuel to build to pressure and that helps some, when I remember. How do I diagnose? The compensator was replaced with one of the newer revisions than stock, the battery is 2 years old and connections are tight.

Could it be the starter? The stress of not having compression releases and such for the first couple of years could have taken a toll on it.

I really don't want to take it to the dealer because they know less about these bikes than you do.

Thanks.
with compression releases (added after a few years) and a 2 year old battery it should spin freely without effort.
Test the battery to rule that out and check the CR to make sure they are working. Tight connections.
If the above checks out then yes it is the starter.
Two months ago I replaced the battery as even though it tested out volts and load. Made no difference. Meanwhile since I already had one starter clutch go I saw the signs and took it in for warranty repair. The starter clutch did not arrive on Friday hours before a trip departure. Dealer finally gave me a loaner starter which I had for a week. On the first start I noted how strong it was, and continued to be on every start hot or cold, no kick back. a week later clutch is there and starter is swapped out. immediate weak cranking, later hot start kickback.
I used to be in the camp of it must be the battery, cables or charging. not anymore with this brief experience. Still waiting to see if warranty will replace, BUT, it has to be completely broke before they do.