Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

first 1000 mile service 2014 Road King - overfilled motor oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:47 AM
garsam
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turkey baster method works great. If the oil level "wasn't that important" and is OK to run overfilled then WHY DOES the manual tell you NOT TO overfill? Set your oil to the proper level . The belt gauge (tool) for checking proper tension is cheap and a dealer stock item. I recommend getting one. It's a simple maintenance thing and easy to adjust. I do all my own maintenance for simple peace of mind. I don't trust strangers working on my stuff. Dealer or otherwise but that's just me.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:13 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by garsam
Turkey baster method works great. If the oil level "wasn't that important" and is OK to run overfilled then WHY DOES the manual tell you NOT TO overfill? Set your oil to the proper level . The belt gauge (tool) for checking proper tension is cheap and a dealer stock item. I recommend getting one. It's a simple maintenance thing and easy to adjust. I do all my own maintenance for simple peace of mind. I don't trust strangers working on my stuff. Dealer or otherwise but that's just me.
+1 on this

Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 AM
rider300
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garsam

+2 on this too

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM
NVERL8
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertG
Hey all,

New RK (2014) owner here. Just got my bike back from the dealer who did the first 1,000 mile service. I have a few questions.

The motor was filled with Syn 3 during the service. Oil level is at the max "hot" motor mark on the dipstick (Jiffy stand position) on a 'cold' engine. Clearly, it was overfilled. The owner's manual says "Oil level on a cold engine should never be above the midway point." The dealer says not to worry..."if it was a problem we would have seen it in the post-service test ride." Any worries about oil puking or excessive crankcase pressure when the bike gets really hot on a long ride? I can't imagine that the motor casing/oil was at max temp from the relative short dealer test ride. I tried to bleed-off a little oil from the drain but the dealer used teflon tape and an o-ring on the drain plug. I'd have to pull the drain plug completely...drain all the oil and then refill.

Also, the drive belt is very tight. I measured about 3/8" of belt deflection at the belt deflection window with approx 15 lbs of force. Per the manual, 3/8" is the minimum spec for belt deflection with a 10 lb force on the belt. I don't have the belt deflection tool, but I'm fairly good at estimating amount of force. I read somewhere about bearing wear when a drive belt is too tight. Given the relative newness of the belt, can I expect more stretch/less tension from the belt in the next 1,000 miles or so? ...hence, I should not worry about the belt tension and bearing wear at this time?

So glad I have tools and the shop manual for the RK. I may have the dealer do the next service just to document the service before the 2-yr warranty expires, or just invest in a lift table and do it myself. I did a fair amount of wrenching on a jack stand for my Fat Boy for ten years with no problems. Lastly, for the more complicated work, I could use the name/fon number of a good indy in Bucks County PA (about an hour north of Philadelphia on I-95) if anyone knows.

Appreciate any feedback...
Regards
My dealer over tightened my belt on my first service as well. So tight in fact it started groaning when it got hot........ This is why i try to do all my own service, so much for trusting them to do the first one "on the house"

Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

FYI. reason you do not want to overfill a car, is that the crank shaft dips into the oil reserve/pan and air is integrated into the oil thus reducing its lubrication capability. Don't know if this is the same with a Harley V-twin design.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:55 AM
airfuel
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't belt tension check suppose to be 10 lbs?

Old 09-23-2014, 09:03 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Surprised at the comment about just leaving it as is and riding. Yet, we tell ppl to buy the service manual and follow it. Just use a turkey baster as others have mentioned. If mine is above 1/2 way on stick when cold---it comes out of my air filter. Others who kept the 4 qts may not have had that issue....but I'd fix it.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what is the oil level when the engine is hot? How did the belt feel before you took it in?

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same issue with my 1k service on my SGS. I rode it for 20 min to see if the oil level rose after it got hot but it didn't. But because of my OCD to follow the manual I used a turkey baster and removed the excess. Don't be surprised at how many times you have to fill that dam thing to get to the desired oil level. Follow what your gut says and not what the HD dealer tells you.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:50 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

This exactly why I do my own service.

Quick Reply: first 1000 mile service 2014 Road King - overfilled motor oil