Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Exhaust Recommendations Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Jesse_81
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Some Exhaust Recommendations Please

Okay posting up for a buddy of mine that has a 2013 SG. I'm gonna do the work for him and I'm just trying to help him narrow down what are gonna be some good options for him. He has slip-on's ONLY right now but isn't happy with them. He wants it louder and obviously to get a little more power, so I'm steering him into a full exhaust, stage 1 stuff, dynoed blah blah blah. Just looking for some input on some systems that are out there. Criteria: Don't want to lose any lean angle from Cross unders or sacrifice bottom-end torque if possible (which are two issues I've seen come up with a little bit of reading) true or false I don't really know. He rides 2up alot, and we shoot corners together so he rides it pretty damn hard for a bagger.

As a side note I noticed there are full systems out there and some "systems" come with slip ons. Do these works as well as say the Vance and Hines Hi-output stainless system? Not really focusing on the dollar amount as much as performance.

Shoot some options at me.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:11 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Cut the cat out of the stock pipe,i f he doesnt like it, he can look at other options later. I prefer a 2-1.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vance & Hines bagger duals with slash cut cans. Screaming Eagle Super Tuner and Air Cleaner.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Streetglide14
Intermediate

I would say that he needs to think about what possible Mods he might do down the road. For instance I had a 2010 V-Rod before with Vance & Hines exhaust. I enjoyed the sound and figured why not stay with them since I was happy with them before. Now I have a 2014 Street Glide and I put the Vance & Hines Power Duals and Rinehart slip ons. I also have the Fuel Pak 3 to go along with it. Well what I am getting at is that Harley never told me that after this I am stuck and cannot do further mods such as Push Rods and Cams etc without getting rid of the FP3 and the headers that I spent money to put on. That system doesn't allow it. Part of the issue is the smaller port for the O2 sensor and the ThunderMax is the system to choose because it works well on the Dyno and with plenty of upgrades. So be careful in what you choose. Back to the original question I would say if you aren't doing any of these things ever you can do a Full Rinehart system or even this Vance & Hines set up. Sounds great. I just want more power. I have heard Bassani slip ons which are very loud and Rush too. You may need to hear a few before you choose. Its more of a preference of sound level too.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:24 PM
WI Bob
Road Master

Originally Posted by bklynbob
Cut the cat out of the stock pipe,i f he doesnt like it, he can look at other options later. I prefer a 2-1.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:26 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

take him to a bike night and see what he likes the sound of.

ask people what they run, how they like.

do a ride along and listen to the other bike

does he tour or use the radio?

a stage 1 is gonna get him 7 to 10 horsepower- there will be no "night and day" difference between exhaust systems.

the point of a stage 1 is to open up the intake and exhausts for higher flow volume

as above get a decatted header for $150 on ebay, he can try his current slip ons or even his old stock ones ( some guys like this combo)

point is let him decide what he wants/likes.

some of the guys here are on their 3rd or 4th set of exhaust- thats throwing money away

V&H PD's can be a clearance problem IF the bike is lowered, IF the suspension compresses in the corner- I managed to hit hard and relieve traction from the rear tire on a rt hand turn...the cover on the X pipe can grab the pavement

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-24-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:32 PM
RCVANDAL
Cruiser

I just did V&H true duals and High Outputs with an S/E A/C and flash tune by technoresearch. Love the result! Revs much easier and I don't feel like I lost anything in the lower end even when riding 2 up this last weekend. I am sure there may be better combinations for specific needs but for me I got exactly the SOUND, Look and performance gain that I was looking for.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
take him to a bike night and see what he likes the sound of.

ask people what they run, how they like.

do a ride along and listen to the other bike

does he tour or use the radio?

a stage 1 is gonna get him 7 to 10 horsepower- there will be no "night and day" difference between exhaust systems.

the point of a stage 1 is to open up the intake and exhausts for higher flow volume

as above get a decatted header for $150 on ebay, he can try his current slip ons or even his old stock ones ( some guys like this combo)

point is let him decide what he wants/likes.

some of the guys here are on their 3rd or 4th set of exhaust- thats throwing money away

V&H PD's can be a clearance problem IF the bike is lowered, IF the suspension compresses in the corner- I managed to hit hard and relieve traction from the rear tire on a rt hand turn...

mike
This^^^

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 AM
cotter pin
Advanced

I agree with the suggestion of checking out a local bike night. That's the best way to get an idea of what sounds best to your ears.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,546 Likes on 727 Posts

I'm partial to 2-1 pipes as you gain more torque in the bottom end. I looked at every 2-1 out there and settled on the Drago's Dragula. Great performance from this pipe, low meaty rumble, real easy on the ears at highway speeds, flawless workmanship and great chrome that won't pit or flake off. Plus Frank Drago is a great guy to work with, a real wealth of knowledge.

Quick Reply: Need Some Exhaust Recommendations Please