Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HID light

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I installed the SoCalMoto HID Headlight / LED Passing Lamp Kit (bulbs only) in the '05 SEEG it was $150. through a group buy.

A bit more than the OPs, but it was total plug n play, all the proper connectors.

'Have > 8k on them so far, great light, no issues.

For me, a cost effective alternative to the DMs.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:16 AM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Got my lifetime warrantied kit from DDM tuning for ~$60 with hi/low beam. Did have to run a separate power and ground to the battery, but the price is certainly right.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:06 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, a cost effective alternative to the DMs.[/QUOTE]

Almost anything is cost effective alternative to the DM's. Like I said $700 for lights is fu**in nuts. I try not to slam the moco for everything they screw up but $50 Chinese T shirts, $700 lights and a few other things should bite them in the ***, they deserve it.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:23 PM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
Got my lifetime warrantied kit from DDM tuning for ~$60 with hi/low beam. Did have to run a separate power and ground to the battery, but the price is certainly right.
I have the same lifetime warranty. I had one bulb go out and when replacing it I founnd the hi/lo solenoid broken, they said to send it in with proof of purchase, after countless attempts to arrange the return, they kept miscuing the information and it got to the point of for $25 it wasnt worth the effort anymore. I think that is their marketing mantra. Confuse them until they go away. I had a spare set and just used that one. Thats the only issues Ive had in over 4q years

Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 PM
tsigwing
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
I have the same lifetime warranty. I had one bulb go out and when replacing it I founnd the hi/lo solenoid broken, they said to send it in with proof of purchase, after countless attempts to arrange the return, they kept miscuing the information and it got to the point of for $25 it wasnt worth the effort anymore. I think that is their marketing mantra. Confuse them until they go away. I had a spare set and just used that one. Thats the only issues Ive had in over 4q years
on matters of principle, I don't give up easy...

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM
mechanicalman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
on matters of principle, I don't give up easy...
Then don't read the thread about a bad experience with one vendor. 9 pages worth over $32.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:17 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternPC_Forum
On sale for $179.95 right now on our website.

http://www.easternperformance.com/tr...-models-7.html
You just HAD to do that, didn't ya...... Fine. I'll

Old 10-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,784 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Almost anything is cost effective alternative to the DM's. Like I said $700 for lights is fu**in nuts. I try not to slam the moco for everything they screw up but $50 Chinese T shirts, $700 lights and a few other things should bite them in the ***, they deserve it.

Yep ... Well said. I remember when a T-Shirt could be had for @ $4.00 an all it had on it was a small logo on the front and the dealers name on the back ... Not all this "fru fru" that's on them today ... I guess I'm getting old, and grumpy :>(

Old 10-02-2014, 10:58 AM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 621 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicalman
Also posted to the RG forum.
I just ordered and received a new set of HIDs from Amazon. They were about $72.00 shipped. When ordering make sure to select the H4 Bi xenon bulb, and the 5000k color. If you want the blue look get the 6000k, but I think the 5000k has more usable light.
This kit took a while to install because it has a separate controller as well as the two ballasts. The controller needs a 12v lead and two grounds. I split the fairing looking for a switched 12v line and I found one that comes out of the cable that has the two headlight connectors. The controller has a split connector that slips over a screw or a bolt and I cut that off and crimped on a spade connector that goes into the extra wire from the headlight cable. The two grounds also have a split connector that I spread out a little bit and put them on the lower fairing mount bolts that are visible behind the headlights, and tightened the nuts on top of them. All of this could have been done by just removing the headlights if I had known about the extra wire on the headlight cable. I was a little concerned about the length of the bulbs because they do stick out the back of the light farther than the stock h4. The headlight mounts to a metal bracket that is held into the fairing by some hokey snaps, like something you'd find on a Chinese moped, I popped these out and there are three of these, the bottom two are the ones that you can access from the inside of the fairing to adjust the lights. The top one is also an adjustment that you can only get to by removing the bracket. I turned all three of these about three or four turns out, make sure to turn all the same amount, which allows the bracket to move outward slightly and there by increasing the distance behind the lights. I don't know if that was necessary or not but it was easy to do. Put everything back together and buttoned it up. These lights really rock I hope they last a long time. The pattern they put out is very close to the stock pattern which wasn't bad with the stock H4's but the brightness is incredible. I want to find a dark road
and see how they do, everything in town is too close to really see how they light up the road.
My son ordered a pair but he picked the wrong bulb and got the ones with the xenon low beam and the halogen high beam, the halogen high beam is a joke it's not as bright at the stockers and the low beam has way too much light going up lighting up the trees overhead. He was getting flashed quite a bit too. He's returning them and getting the ones like I have.
The bulbs are really cool it has a single xenon bubble where the arc lives and it has a magnetic mechanism that moves the bubble back and forth exposing a different part of the shield that goes over the bulb giving high and low beams for a single source.

Well that's enough for now I'm going for a ride. If you got ??? let me know.

Here's a link
Amazon.com: 55w Kensun HID Xenon Conversion Kit "All Bulb Sizes and Colors" with Digital Ballasts - H4 (HB2) (9003) Bi-Xenon - 5000k: Automotive
Hey "mechanicalman"! Still relatively new to Harleys and learning. I have a 2012 EGUC with the batwing single headlight. Are the dual headlights on a Road Glide the same or different from the single headlight (I'm thinking different)? If the same, is there a kit available with these same bulbs for a single headlight...just one of everything? Or if different, would you happen to know which kit would give me the same bulbs you got for a single headlight? Sure would appreciate it.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Warbird40
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am also thinking of going with HID's. I installed a pair of Zentec HID's on my Lincoln LS and after 2.5 years I have had zero issues with them and the pair sells for $32 shipped so if one goes bad, I have an extra one.....might put them on in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: New HID light