Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 01:51 AM
lvhdude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issues

I'm looking for some help with a couple of clutch issues. I have an '7 FLHX with 115,000 miles. I put in a new 103 5,000 miles back along with the SE clutch pack, and a bunch of other pieces and parts. While I thought I got all the old plates and frictions out of the old stack, when I adjusted the clutch the adjustment screw in the center of the clutch (behind the derby cover) was out much farther than it has usually been. I dismissed it as being new/different and put the cover on. I found that I had about half of the lever travel and it pulls up hard, like something is in a bind. The clutch functions OK, but just barely. I rode it to Sturgis as a break in/test ride thinking maybe it had to "wear in", but no change.

The second thing I have noticed is the free play in the lever changes if on or off the throttle. It tightens up and loosens up as I apply and back off of the throttle. Never noticed that before. I do notice some bearing/gear whine idling in neutral that goes away when I put it in gear.I replaced the primary output bearing with the motor swap, but have yet to go into the transmission.

I'm ready to change the engine oil and filter (5,000 miles) and could certainly do a little investigation if I kinda knew what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:21 PM
dave grider
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I would pull the clutch and make sure you installed the diaphram right.Sounds like you may have put in backward.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:30 PM
lvhdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dave grider
I would pull the clutch and make sure you installed the diaphram right.Sounds like you may have put in backward.

It installs so that the pressure against the plates is increased as the bolts are tightened, correct? Same as the old one came off. The center is high before the bolts and retainer ring is torqued?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:27 AM
HDs4me
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

did you remove the old 1/2 fibre and the spring and seat?

Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

try adjusting clutch but this time loosen the slack on the cable all the way. similiar thing happend to me and almost tor back into it to look at torque on clutch hub bolt or throw out bearing...ect but it was the simple thing.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM
lvhdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by voodoodrug
try adjusting clutch but this time loosen the slack on the cable all the way. similiar thing happend to me and almost tor back into it to look at torque on clutch hub bolt or throw out bearing...ect but it was the simple thing.
Thanks VooDoo, I did the adjustment on the cable last, But I'll remove the derby cover and loosen the cable, to try re-adjusting it. Had a friend think I might have left the last,(first in) plate in, but he looked at the old stack (I saved it) and didn't see an issue. I wonder if I can remove the spring and discs without removeing the primary cover? Save a 50 dollar gasket.

Maybe I should (or should have) compare the complete plate packs for total thickness. It's due for oil change so it'll be on the lift anyway.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:38 PM
lvhdude
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HDs4me
did you remove the old 1/2 fibre and the spring and seat?
Do you mean the thin fibre disc with the smaller spacer? Yup. Maybe narrow is a better term. Spring seat? do you mean the outer pressure plate? Well now I got to go look at what I took out. Stay tuned, and thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

[QUOTE= I wonder if I can remove the spring and discs without removeing the primary cover? Save a 50 dollar gasket [/QUOTE]

no & reused mine about 6 times no problem

Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by lvhdude
I'm looking for some help with a couple of clutch issues. I have an '7 FLHX with 115,000 miles. I put in a new 103 5,000 miles back along with the SE clutch pack, and a bunch of other pieces and parts. While I thought I got all the old plates and frictions out of the old stack, when I adjusted the clutch the adjustment screw in the center of the clutch (behind the derby cover) was out much farther than it has usually been. I dismissed it as being new/different and put the cover on. I found that I had about half of the lever travel and it pulls up hard, like something is in a bind. The clutch functions OK, but just barely. I rode it to Sturgis as a break in/test ride thinking maybe it had to "wear in", but no change.

The second thing I have noticed is the free play in the lever changes if on or off the throttle. It tightens up and loosens up as I apply and back off of the throttle. Never noticed that before. I do notice some bearing/gear whine idling in neutral that goes away when I put it in gear.I replaced the primary output bearing with the motor swap, but have yet to go into the transmission.

I'm ready to change the engine oil and filter (5,000 miles) and could certainly do a little investigation if I kinda knew what to look for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
When you pulled the clutch Pack did you pull the last two rings they are thinner than the steel pressure plates.Sometimes you'll need two small picks to slide them out.Pay attention how you take them out .The flat goes in first then curved one { the dish faces out and then put your clutch pack in.}To adjust completely loosen your adjustment on your cable .Loosen nut ,turn middle screw in with allen wrench going through deep well 1/2" till it stops back off 1/2 turn I usually take a pair of vise grips on the deep well to tighten with allen still holding adjustment screw.Adjust clutch cable with about 1/8" free play.Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:06 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just be careful not to "kink" the primary cover gasket and you'll be fine re-using it.