Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you use chrome polish?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was a fan of No.7 chrome polish, but its hard to find in the stores; I have No.7 clear coat, white and orange rubbing compounds but can't find the chrome polish anymore.

Instead of that I have been using Eagle Wadding Polish, it comes in a silver can and is full of what looks like old sofa stuffing. The material is saturated with the polish and works like any other; pull out what you need, rub it on and wait for it to dry to a haze. Then rub it off with a polish rag.
Beauty part is it never separates and you don't need a clean rag to put it on with.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

I used a razor knife to softly scrape something that was baked on hard on my pipes, and wouldn`t come off with Windex. Since then I learned about oven cleaner on WARM pipes (not more than 150*) for this type of scenario. This works well with no scratches on the pipes. Unfortunately, where I used the razor knife there are minute scratches even though I was careful not to press hard when using it. So, will the 0000 steel wool get rid of them, or am I screwed?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by deano360
i have always been happy with turtle wax chrome polish, it takes off the grime just fine
Same here. It works and it's cheap.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by geektoad
Nevr-dull works for me. low mess and super fast.
I use Nevr-Dull to take any marks off, then usually use wax. I have chrome polish, but it is much easier to spray on Original Bike Spirits Cleaner/Wax, than apply chrome polish, and I don't notice any difference.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
I used a razor knife to softly scrape something that was baked on hard on my pipes, and wouldn`t come off with Windex. Since then I learned about oven cleaner on WARM pipes (not more than 150*) for this type of scenario. This works well with no scratches on the pipes. Unfortunately, where I used the razor knife there are minute scratches even though I was careful not to press hard when using it. So, will the 0000 steel wool get rid of them, or am I screwed?
Try Nevr-dull first. Very gentle, yet effective. I would be real careful with 0000. Maybe test it on the bottom of your pipes. Or your wife's bumper. (J/K)

Old 09-29-2014, 12:31 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

I think most wax's are water based. So each time it's washed it removes whatever wax you applied.
As most have said, chrome wax or regular paint wax is probably close to the same.
As with oil threads, wax is a matter of brand loyalty. They all come off, most with the first rain or wash. So each time I wash a vehicle I re-wax and yes it's a lot of work.
I just use Turtle zip wash followed by Turtle wax and terry cloth buff.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is Windex chrome polish ?

Old 09-29-2014, 01:42 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have tried a lot of different chrome polish. All worked some better than others. I still use turtle wax chrome polish. It is just plain low cost and works as good as anything else I have tried.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Sport Chrome
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We've used about every chrome polish on the market. We always go right back to Turtle Wax Chrome Polish. I've found some that work almost as good, but never as good. We are judging based on the ability of the polish to remove any and all residue for a perfectly clean finish, in an efficient amount of time and the amount we had to use.

If you are out to remove tough stains that are too much for TW chrome polish, try Maas

Amazon.com - Maas International Metal Polish, 4-Ounce - Multipurpose Metal Polish Amazon.com - Maas International Metal Polish, 4-Ounce - Multipurpose Metal Polish

We buy both on Amazon.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:52 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hvacgaspiping
Just last week I used Mcqireds SwirlX scratch remover and a foam pad on my drill and buffed a heat shield back to new in a couple of minutes.

Quick Reply: How many of you use chrome polish?