Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to Change the Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 08:38 PM
Bruin08
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CyGlide
I personally liked the guerilla cables wire extensions a little more then the namz because I cut and soldered everything, but wanted the colors consistent throughout.

Also make sure you have the tool (homemade, bought, or a screwdriver like I used), to do the ignition switch.

I have a write up posted on here somewhere from when I did my Wild 1's, but if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I already have the namz enroute to me. I am cutting the end off and going to solder and stagger the joints.

I have the ignition tool from a buddy of mine. Has the one for $25 and have the molex 150 terminal pin remover tool with one end to release the pins and the other end to pull the secondary lock. I played around with my old switch housing and figured itd be a little easier to just get them pins out.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Bruin08
Tourer

Originally Posted by SBates08
When you get ready to pull the tranny cover, Jack the bike up and place a short 2x4 under the front and rear tire. Lower bike down onto 2x4's and lean over onto kickstand. Doing this you will only lose a few drops of tranny fluid. And your new clutch cable will come with a new o-ring so there's no need to buy one.

2010 Limited with some stuff
Imma have to keep that in mind. Went and bought some transmission fluid today.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 PM
memphis king
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty nice of "the mouth" to offer up his help I would of rode from Memphis when I did mive for a extra set of knowledgeable hands.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by memphis king
Pretty nice of "the mouth" to offer up his help I would of rode from Memphis when I did mive for a extra set of knowledgeable hands.
I love beer...

Old 09-30-2014, 09:41 PM
Bruin08
Tourer

Yep. Imma keep him in mind. With work i never know when im going to be off and alot of my off days i spend working over time so its tough for me to schedule a ride out there and all day in biloxi. But wht a treat that would be to ridr back 1.5 hours with new bars to ser how they work.

Buddy of mine did his bars so i should be good. Doing an inner fender change while everything is apart, proab heated grips and going to route my crankcase oil to the atmosphere. Tired of cleaning oil off my chrome, bags and tourpack. I just need to get the stock bolts with the nipple as ive since gone with stage 1 filter and replaced them with reg bolts.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:50 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Exhaust gaskets, I use the Screamin Eagle ones. Also need several, or more, wire zip ties. There are some cool chrome ones to use on the bars, if you do end up zip tieing the brake hose or something. Some sort of lube for running the wires through the bars. I used Murphys Oil Soap mainly because it was available under my sink. Worked great. Wires slid in as easy as a small pecker in a well worn hooker.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruin08
I was just thinking and it has crossed my mind before.....heated grips would be nice as in Southern LA you can ride year round with proper attire. I think I will extend the heated grip wires also so when I want to add the heated grips its already do being that I will have everything pulled apart. I just cant see dropping 270 on heated grips.
How about 122.99? She ain't purdy but she'll stand by ya! Form follows function.....

Good luck on your install

Old 10-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Bruin08
Tourer

I gave in, bought lawabidingbiker.com video and watched him do the install on his 14 SG. Watching this video insured me I wanted to add the heated grips while I had the bike apart so I went through Kutter HD and ordered them with 20% off and free shipping. Local shop wouldnt go any lower that 260 and I got them off Kutter HD for 224.00. Local shop lost a sale. I would have proab been better going in person and showing them the order on the screen and being like, match the price or I will buy these now off the internet haha. Soon as everything comes in I will be tearing into them. Just hope I like the bars as its not something you can try before you purchase. There are so many vairiations to the handlebars its crazy and overwelming.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:37 PM
Bruin08
Tourer

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Exhaust gaskets, I use the Screamin Eagle ones. Also need several, or more, wire zip ties. There are some cool chrome ones to use on the bars, if you do end up zip tieing the brake hose or something. Some sort of lube for running the wires through the bars. I used Murphys Oil Soap mainly because it was available under my sink. Worked great. Wires slid in as easy as a small pecker in a well worn hooker.
I am hoping I wont have to remove the exhaust. If I do I will deff replace the gaskets as I did not when I changed from stock to big radius and from big radius to true dual headers and twin slash rounds. Exhaust pops every once in awhile. I really am not looking forward to pulling the exhaust. Lining that stuff up is a PITA

Old 10-02-2014, 05:57 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

Best just to go ahead and get exhaust gaskets. I don't remember seeing a way to get around them when the time comes to deal with the clutch cable

Quick Reply: Time to Change the Handlebars