Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for Lock kit for detachable TP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:25 PM
All Aces
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for Lock kit for detachable TP

I just installed a detachable tour pak kit and was told they have a lock for the latch. A buddy said he had one and it was about $10 or $15. I looked in the HD catalog and I see one for around $60 (no surprise) Is that it or is there another brand i should be looking for? For those who have them, do they work OK or a PITA? Thanks

Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

If you don't want the HD detachable lock, Brukus makes a good product to secure your detachable tour pack.
http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=13276

Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 PM
PHXBiker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo
If you don't want the HD detachable lock, Brukus makes a good product to secure your detachable tour pack.
http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-pro...parts&pc=13276

Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
VRStrickland
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Brukus

Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I am using the HD locks. Works good, easy lock and unlock. Easy install.
I am using the brukus locks on my saddle bags.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had bad luck with the HD locks. I had to finally drill them out to get the Tour Pac off the bike.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I have and use the Brukus, but often I just wrap a heavy black wire tie around the retracting pin shaft and cinch it all the way down. It does not allow the head to be retracted so the TP cannot be removed. I have a very sharp and small pair of cutters that I use to pop them off. If someone is really interested in stealing your TP, all they have to do is take the screws out that hold on the latches. Even blue Loctite does not stop that action.

I often just have a sissy bar and rack on the bike and that is when I mostly use the wire tie way to lock the retractable heads. It works well enough as most thieves are grab and go and if the initial attempt to remove it is thwarted, they look for another bike for easy picken's.

I started using the heavy wire tie when my Brukus screw would no longer tighten on the shaft, so while it stayed on and did the job, it was loose and rotated on the shaft. Only one side did this and I sanded down the top of the clamp and it tightens now. But that is what got me to use the wire ties around the shaft on the clamp.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:05 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
If someone is really interested in stealing your TP, all they have to do is take the screws out that hold on the latches. Even blue Loctite does not stop that action.
If it's a Harley rack the latches are on posts. You would have to take the torx screws out of the docking hardware as well. Just removing the screws from the latches isn't going to get it off the bike.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I have and use the Brukus, but often I just wrap a heavy black wire tie around the retracting pin shaft and cinch it all the way down. It does not allow the head to be retracted so the TP cannot be removed. I have a very sharp and small pair of cutters that I use to pop them off. If someone is really interested in stealing your TP, all they have to do is take the screws out that hold on the latches. Even blue Loctite does not stop that action.

I often just have a sissy bar and rack on the bike and that is when I mostly use the wire tie way to lock the retractable heads. It works well enough as most thieves are grab and go and if the initial attempt to remove it is thwarted, they look for another bike for easy picken's.

I started using the heavy wire tie when my Brukus screw would no longer tighten on the shaft, so while it stayed on and did the job, it was loose and rotated on the shaft. Only one side did this and I sanded down the top of the clamp and it tightens now. But that is what got me to use the wire ties around the shaft on the clamp.
Will gladly replace that screw if there's an issue. Email us at info@brukus.com

Old 09-30-2014, 01:58 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,515 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by Brukus Motorcycle Parts
Will gladly replace that screw if there's an issue. Email us at info@brukus.com
\

Thanks, I actually thought of contacting you, but I think it was just wear and tear after several seasons of changes. the screw was fine, just the head started to bottom out before it was tight against the shaft. We are talking thousandths. I just took the clamp, ran the top over a piece of emery cloth and the screw worked fine. I tighten it pretty good and I think either the screw got a little compressed or it opened up the clamp just a tad. Works great now and they are what I use on the King Tour pack all winter. I use a tie wrap when I throw the sissy bar and rack on for a few days (ie temporary rack time).

Quick Reply: Looking for Lock kit for detachable TP