Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

Last bike - 420 lb Honda.

New bike - 820 lb Street Glide.

Time to get comfortable with the extra weight: About a week.

Seriously, while riding, the Harley is smooth and surprisingly flickable - the weight virtually disappears as your speed increases. The only time you'll feel the weight is in low-speed maneuvers in parking lots, fields, etc. Want to get the feel for that, too? Ride more. Ride as much as you can.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Great advise!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:15 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay, lots of good advice and ideas given......now how much are you going to spend on this new ride? After you figure that out, go RENT one. At the very least, rent for a day and just take your time riding the roads you usually ride. If you are still uncertain, rent it for a weekend or a week. You have nothing to lose and after the seat of your pants tells you fit and feel of the bike you should be able to decide with some personal knowledge.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:31 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

They ride lighter then they look, Road King = King of the Road

Old 10-01-2014, 02:06 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Not sure why I am the only one that thinks it is harder to stop a big bike, but it took me quite of bit of practice to make panic stops without skidding the rear wheel.

I started riding in '04, after taking the MSF Basic course. In '05 I bought a Vulcan 750. It was a great first bike, very forgiving. I could slam on the brakes and it stopped in a straight line.

In '11 I bought my '03 Ultra Classic. The first few times I stopped quickly for a yellow light, I skidded the rear wheel, which scared the crap out of me.I intuitively held the brakes down, once the skid started, so I didn't highside, but it was scary.

I learned how to gently apply the rear, so it didn't lock up by practicing, and taking the Rider's Edge Skilled Rider Course. Even there, they don't tell you the exact truth. If you release and reapply quickly, yet gently and firmly you can keep perfect control. In the course they tell you once they lock, keep them locked so you don't highside upon releasing. But it is better to never start skidding.

Not knowing how to do your low speed maneuvering can result in damage and embarassment, but not knowing how to panic stop is a lot more of a problem. Take an advanced course if you move up.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Not sure why I am the only one that thinks it is harder to stop a big bike, but it took me quite of bit of practice to make panic stops without skidding the rear wheel.

I started riding in '04, after taking the MSF Basic course. In '05 I bought a Vulcan 750. It was a great first bike, very forgiving. I could slam on the brakes and it stopped in a straight line.

In '11 I bought my '03 Ultra Classic. The first few times I stopped quickly for a yellow light, I skidded the rear wheel, which scared the crap out of me.I intuitively held the brakes down, once the skid started, so I didn't highside, but it was scary.

I learned how to gently apply the rear, so it didn't lock up by practicing, and taking the Rider's Edge Skilled Rider Course. Even there, they don't tell you the exact truth. If you release and reapply quickly, yet gently and firmly you can keep perfect control. In the course they tell you once they lock, keep them locked so you don't highside upon releasing. But it is better to never start skidding.

Not knowing how to do your low speed maneuvering can result in damage and embarassment, but not knowing how to panic stop is a lot more of a problem. Take an advanced course if you move up.
If you had read the material they gave you (riders handbook version 7.1) on page 37 and 38 under the title of Maximum Braking rear tire skid, the last paragraph says if the rear wheel is aligned you can release and reapply the rear brake.
I'm sure you didnt read the exact truth.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:16 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

Coming from a nearly 600lb Metric cruiser to an Ultra..the biggest difference was getting on and off the bike and slow maneuvers as said.
My previous bike has a single front disk and rear drum. Dual disks up front and single disk out back. Took me about a week to get used to more weight, took me a month to really feel comfortable flicking it around city and the highway. (Took me about 2 minutes on a 80MPH freeway to have a grin instead of a cringe...lol).

One bad habit I had from dirt bikes, lighter bikes, quads, etc., is being on the front brake too long. I've been taught to let off the front brake under NORMAL stopping conditions once the bike is below 20MPH. More control, no brake dive, etc.
Obviously, for emergency stops, that's not the case.

First night on my new to me Ultra, I nearly put it down. Came to a stop at a light, grabbed too much front brake, tire caught a groove in the pavement the wrong way.
I should have let it go... but pride took over and I muscled it up. Dumb move.
I was at a complete stop.

Hit an empty parking lot, do some slow speed weaving, stopping, etc. It'll feel natural in no time.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by orangevette
If you had read the material they gave you (riders handbook version 7.1) on page 37 and 38 under the title of Maximum Braking rear tire skid, the last paragraph says if the rear wheel is aligned you can release and reapply the rear brake.
I'm sure you didnt read the exact truth.
I don't have the book anymore. Is there a way to get one?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:30 AM
sbeast
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I went from a Ninja250r to a Suzuki m50 to a street glide. The extra weight makes backing into the garage a real chore (there's about a 1"lip to get over), but otherwise, The street glide balances better at low speed than any of my previous bikes, I'm much more confident doing uturns on it than the Suzuki or kawasaki. Braking is different, this bike does not stop on a dime like my ninja, making hard quick stops is not an enjoyable experience, I locked up the rear on two occasions, I don't recommend it

Old 10-02-2014, 06:21 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Calamity Joe
Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.
I would not attempt it while they are moving.

Quick Reply: Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.