Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:54 AM
Ozark Joe
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.

Hey guys I need a little advice on what to expect when i jump from the 600-750 cc rang to the Road King class bike. Granted by the time I buy the Road King I would have been out of the saddle in 3yrs. Ya I just sold my Yamaha last year and wont be able to buy the Harley until 2016. The only thing I'm certain of it be like learning to ride all over again with something bigger. I have never rode anything larger than a 750 Honda. So I need to know what I need to do to transition from what I'm accustomed to,to something I'm not familiar with.

BTW I was just thinking it would be smart to start slow around the block to learn how to get the feel of it before going out into the countryside. This a good or bad idea?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:05 AM
WILDWOOD_1124
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get on YouTube and look up ride like a pro videos. Very helpful learning to ride these heavy motorcycles! You will see small women doing amazing things.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Various things you can consider, such as a refresher course at a riding school, hiring a mid-range bike for a few days, test riding an RK at a local dealer. 2016 is a long time to wait, so why not buy a cheap s/h bike to get you back in the groove?

Old 09-30-2014, 05:23 AM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I think you will be surprised at how easy the transition will be

Old 09-30-2014, 05:31 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,324 Likes on 3,269 Posts

Really not that hard, the weight is a bit more but as far ac riding and handling, it goes well

Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 AM
nevets61
Road Master
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

You'll be surprised at how well these heavy bikes handle, weight distribution is good and center of gravity very low compared to the top heavy Honda's. You'll probably find that the BIG HD handles much better than what your used to, so don't let it intimidate you. Take your time and get the feel of the new girl.. You'll be fine!!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

The only time the weight is an issue is at low speed, like parking lot speed. Keep it vertical

Old 09-30-2014, 06:17 AM
road king Q
Road Master
Received 196 Likes on 141 Posts

I got on a RK off of a vtx1300. Had a shadow 1100 in the 90s

The balance blew me away. Slow curves with just moving a leg or moving across a lane when you turn to look. Yes you feel the weight a bit more on starts and parking lot speed like mentioned but, you get used to it. It feels like you are sitting more on top of a tourer than the vtx did, or a heritage. (only other HD I really rode a lot) Feels like you are down in or lower on some of those types.You did not say what kind of bike you had. This may be nothing.

Braking will be different. If you are a zippy driver, You will feel that quick. New bike may have linked brakes and abs, but will feel bigger when you brake hard. Not bad... different.

Like others said, do some videos maybe a class, it will be no worries. Like I tell my newbie riders wife and son... don't get cocky. Start careful and you will do fine.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a Sportster to my first Road King. THe biggest difference to me was moving it around in the garage and backing it out. I used to be able to lift the kick stand and then jump on the Sporty, with the the RK I soon learned that the kick stand stays down until I'm on!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:34 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Getting use to the extra weight . Braking, controls ,turns . Take it easy until you get use too . Harleys are pretty rider friendly you will enjoy the transition .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advide about jumping from a smaller bike to a Road King.