Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre Ride Inspection Pays Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 09:23 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Default Pre Ride Inspection Pays Off

At home the other afternoon, I decided I would get up early the next morning and go for a ride. I figured I would put the 'King up on the jack and pre ride check things out the evening before in the garage. Up in the air, level, I checked over fasteners, fluids, tools, emergency things, and among other things - tires. I have TPMS via my Garmin that shows tire psi at each ride, but nothing beats a good physical inspection. Tire psi was good, I spun the wheel and WHOA - rear tire (Spoke with tube) had a nail in it! Hmm, no leak so I decide to pull it out. The nail was near the center, and as I pulled it out, the angle of the protrusion was sideways, not toward the tube. A very small nail, but could have been bad. I decide "Not really a big deal".
Next morning, I go for my ride, and decide to have coffee at the Dealer. There stands the Service Manager. Small chat, then I said "Question for you - I found a nail in my bikes rear tire, but no flat. Does my Tire and Wheel Coverage cover that, or does it have to be a flat?" He said "That is a puncture, and you are covered. Do we need to go get your bike for you?" I said "No, it's right there out front." He told the Write Up Tech to get my bike to the back, and replace tire, tube, and strip, and bill it to Tire and Wheel Coverage PRONTO. Tech writes it up, steps out with His tread gauge, and finds a minimum of 3/32" on the tire, with mostly 4/32". He said "Dude, you are in, and right on the line. Want us to wash your bike too?"
In just over an hour, I rode out of there with a sparkling new Dunlop WWW free of charge (No $50 deductible on my plan) that replaced my old tire that had 10,000 miles on it. I was planning to replace it this winter anyway.
Well I guess that is off my list now!
Keep doing those pre ride inspections, boys and girls.
Kudos to Heart Of Dixie Harley Davidson, I appreciate a fair deal!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:32 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I wish more dealers had that kind of service

Old 09-30-2014, 09:33 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

This is why I got the tire/wheel package.
Good for you.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

T&WW... worth it's weight in gold.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Bamabear
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing you caught it and that is great service. Just bought my FLHTK on Saturday and also added the Tire/Wheel protection plan along with the 5 year warranty.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Thanks Guys. I just happened to wrap the nail in a napkin and have it in my pocket, and showed it to the service writer. He just shrugged it off and said "That's OK, Man, you're good". I bought my bike with The Plan in April '11 before the deductible came about on tire and wheel.
Plans and insurances people may debate, but my point here is we ALL need to do our pre op checks as often as we can. And that might even mean to get it up in the air, or get down on the floor.
Safety first!
Ride safe!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a time and place when I wish I have stock wheels. The custom ones look nice, but they sure are expensive...lol.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good catch. i had a similar issue, except it was a screw that went through the tire and no tubes. found it the day before i left out on a 2K mile ride that week. pays to get the bike up and look it over. sadly i didnt have tire coverage so it cost me lol

Old 09-30-2014, 02:03 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I already had one tire replace with the coverage ,small cut in tire .Dealer said was not safe and replaced free of charge . I got my coverage in 13 no deductible .

Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM
yokdriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always checked my bike over the day before a big trip just to make sure

Quick Reply: Pre Ride Inspection Pays Off