Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride-On tire protection system, excellent tire balance!

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:51 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ride-On tire protection system, excellent tire balance!

In a quest to make my bike handle better I had new Dunlop Elite tires mounted and balanced at a HD dealer. After installing them, the bike no longer followed cracks in the pavement but it still felt like I was getting buffeting on the highway (with no gusts, crosswinds or traffic). It felt like strong wind gusts blowing the front end around. Returned home and added the recommended amount of Ride-on to the MT90/130B16 tires (8oz + 2oz for balance) and it rides great!!! Tracks well and no longer scares the sh*t out of me!

Most would probably add this product for the puncture protection, I bought it for the dynamic balancing. It really works and I will never run tires without it installed.

Once this goo is in the tires it stays in the contact patch area around the circumference of the tire so it doesn't make a mess when removing the tire and continuously balances the tire as it wears. There are a few good videos on YouTube showing how it works and others showing various dynamic balancing products and how they work.

I can't recommend this product highly enough.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:10 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Once this goo is in the tires it stays in the contact patch area around the circumference of the tire so it doesn't make a mess when removing the tire and continuously balances the tire as it wears.
I have some experience with in-tire goo, and I also change a lot of motorcycle tires.

Unless this stuff is so thick that it glues itself to the tire, I'm not sure how one could keep it from making a mess when changing tires. And if it's that thick, I'm not sure how it could be thin enough to dynamically balance a moving wheel assembly.

I have changed tires with goo in them, and unless the formulas have changed significantly, they make at least some mess when changing, regardless of tools or techniques.

All the best,

Shane

Old 09-30-2014, 02:29 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The other option for this type of balancing is Dyna Beads. I have been running them for many years without issue and unlike the ride on they float around the inside of the tire and find the spot they need to be in on their own. Many claim snake oil but after riding with these on numerous bikes with different wheels I am a believer in Dyna beads.

I have not tired Ride On yet so I have no opinion on it.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:32 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Dyna beads work, but in my experience only in the rear. I have not had success balancing fronts with beads. I had my local dealer remove the beads and balance with chrome weights. Way better now.

Next tire change I'll try the Ride-on.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:15 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shane, what is the color of the goo you speak of? This stuff is not sticky, feels almost soapy, is orange color and yes it's viscous enough to stay on the circumferential contact patch.

It is also viscous enough to move under dynamic forces to travel to light spots in the tire like dyna beads or other dynamic weights but doesn't come unbalanced at every stop.

I'm speaking from personal experience here and I have no ties or interest in this company other than I am VERY happy with my purchase. I'd say the best $35 dollars I've ever spent on my bike.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey Skypilot,

(The following assumes tubeless tires...inner tubes contain this kind of thing much better, except in cases of catastrophic tube failure...)

Not doubting that it stays in the center while riding, or that it works just fine for what you want it to do. This is always with the tire beads seated though, and the bike in a relatively upright position.

It's that when changing tires out, the rim is on it's side, the bead has to be broken on both sides, and then the tire has to be levered/lifted off the rim, one bead at a time.

There is no way to do this without the liquid contents inside the tire/wheel getting all over the place. I guess if you tell them to be careful when you get new tires put on, that would at least be a minimum courtesy, but be forewarned--some shops will not work on tires filled with any liquid balancer/sealer/slime/ride on/fix-a-flat anything.

And, I've seen the contents of tires that had broken down and turned into something quite unlike the original stuff--probably from temperature changes, condensation, and whatever else goes on chemically once the product is in real-world use. That makes the color of the used product irrelevant, at least at the time of tire-changing.

Use whatever makes you feel good, I certainly do.

All the best,

Shane

Old 09-30-2014, 05:40 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Shanebo
Hey Skypilot,

(The following assumes tubeless tires...inner tubes contain this kind of thing much better, except in cases of catastrophic tube failure...)

Not doubting that it stays in the center while riding, or that it works just fine for what you want it to do. This is always with the tire beads seated though, and the bike in a relatively upright position.

It's that when changing tires out, the rim is on it's side, the bead has to be broken on both sides, and then the tire has to be levered/lifted off the rim, one bead at a time.

There is no way to do this without the liquid contents inside the tire/wheel getting all over the place. I guess if you tell them to be careful when you get new tires put on, that would at least be a minimum courtesy, but be forewarned--some shops will not work on tires filled with any liquid balancer/sealer/slime/ride on/fix-a-flat anything.

And, I've seen the contents of tires that had broken down and turned into something quite unlike the original stuff--probably from temperature changes, condensation, and whatever else goes on chemically once the product is in real-world use. That makes the color of the used product irrelevant, at least at the time of tire-changing.

Use whatever makes you feel good, I certainly do.

All the best,

Shane
My dealer removed my front tire with Ride On in it remounted to new rim. Mechanic said the same thing it couldn't be done but after tire dismount and remounted he changed his mind. He was very surprised. I've been running Ride On for over 12 years and never balance my tires, just use it in each.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:44 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
In a quest to make my bike handle better I had new Dunlop Elite tires mounted and balanced at a HD dealer. After installing them, the bike no longer followed cracks in the pavement but it still felt like I was getting buffeting on the highway (with no gusts, crosswinds or traffic). It felt like strong wind gusts blowing the front end around. Returned home and added the recommended amount of Ride-on to the MT90/130B16 tires (8oz + 2oz for balance) and it rides great!!! Tracks well and no longer scares the sh*t out of me!

Most would probably add this product for the puncture protection, I bought it for the dynamic balancing. It really works and I will never run tires without it installed.

Once this goo is in the tires it stays in the contact patch area around the circumference of the tire so it doesn't make a mess when removing the tire and continuously balances the tire as it wears. There are a few good videos on YouTube showing how it works and others showing various dynamic balancing products and how they work.

I can't recommend this product highly enough.
Did you remove the weights the dealer installed? Most people say they do, I understand that they would not be needed, just curious about what if you did not...

Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Scott14SG
Tourer

Received 71 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed ride-on in both wheels this summer and took off the weights, then went on a 7500+ mile trip, no vibration issues and it rode great. I'm sold on it.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:32 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,912 Likes on 8,431 Posts

I change my own tires now since I've been able to add Ride-on. Take the weights off and us the Ride-on. I had a problem with my rear wheel rim, the chrome was pitting and the bead wouldn't seal properly, I had already put the Ride-on in the tire. I was able to take the tire off the rim and no spillage or leakage of the Ride-on. It stayed in the tire. I could reach in there and scoop it out but it wasn't sticky like I thought it would be. Hard to describe it other than, it thin enough to flow into a puncture but thick enough to stay put on the inside of the tire. I use it in the rear Yokohama car tire I have on the bike and the front Dunlop motorcycle tire.

Quick Reply: Ride-On tire protection system, excellent tire balance!