Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STAGE 1 info

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 03:49 PM
FFLETCHER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STAGE 1 info

Just picked up my 2013 Road Glide Ultra.....outstanding machine.... HOT as all hell on the right leg, even in the cool North East temps....My question...is there that much of a difference lets say between the Big Sucker Air kit / Screaming Eagle Air kit........Fuel Pak / SERT.....Vance Big Shots / Rhinehart True Duals ?????...They all seem similar in performance and its just a personal choice.....or am I missing something
Just looking to cool the Bike down abit and add some noise for the cagers.....
Thanks

Old 09-30-2014, 03:55 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Congrats on the new bike. As for the Air cleaners pretty much visual choice. Both are the same in air intake. As for the exhaust...For myself I went to my local HD dealer and listened to a couple of bikes with the different pipes on them till I found the one I like.
Pretty much is all about what you like and the money you wanna spend

Well wait money is no object if you own a Harley Davidson
Welcome you and your wallet to the HD Forums

P.S. I went with the Vance and Hines Power duals and high outputs, As well I went with the SEPST from HD

Last edited by GriffinDenim13FLHX; 09-30-2014 at 04:04 PM. Reason: P.S. ...
Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 PM
BigBlueUltra
Stage IV

The tuner is what makes the difference. Everything else is cosmetic and it's whatever look and sound you like. I have Fuel Pak right now on my 06 Ultra. it brought the temp down significantly. From what everyone else says and from what I've experienced the Fuel Pak is okay. When it comes to the FP you have to take what V&H says to be correct. You cant change anything on the fly because they wont tell you what the codes mean.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:59 PM
RCVANDAL
Cruiser

It's as much personal preference as anything. I think you are right as far as performance being similar, but you will have to listen to a few bikes to find the sound that YOU like. I went with the V&H duals, High Outputs, S/E A/C and Flash tune, love the sound and the performance bump. No dyno sheet, but who needs to put the extra thrashing on your motor just for a piece of paper to hang on the wall. I know by the seat of my pants and throttle response that she is running a lot better, and yes even the wife commented that her right leg was not burning hot like before. Good luck!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:20 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by GriffinDenim13FLHX
As for the Air cleaners pretty much visual choice. Both are the same in air intake. As for the exhaust...For myself I went to my local HD dealer and listened to a couple of bikes with the different pipes on them till I found the one I like.
Pretty much is all about what you like and the money you wanna spend

Well wait money is no object if you own a Harley Davidson
pretty much what i woulda said.

some riders spend $2000 on a stage 1, some of us spend a few hundred...results about the same.

the cheap way:

ebay decatted header pipe- $150
ebay Ness Big Sucker air cleaner 9 get the chrome backing plate version) from easternpc- $130
nightrider.com Xieds for your year/model about $120 http://sales.nightrider.com/2013_c_99.html

$400 or so.

reuse your stock mufflers to start- alot of the 2010+ riders are good with those once the cat is gone.
you can always spend more later if you want

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-30-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:47 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

The first thing you should buy is a tuner.

I highly recommend a flash tuner, and nothing less.

Best choices for useability and versatility are Power Vision, TTS or FP3. following that are the HD/SE branded stuff.

The air cleaner, pipes and mufflers are subjective, whatever you like best.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Pick whatever air cleaner and slip-ons ya like but get a proper header and tune.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:22 PM
rscott
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I cannot perceive any heat difference seat of the pants so to speak after doing a stage one on my last two FLTRUs. That's not to say it wasn't a bit cooler just I can' feel it. Maybe if I had a engine temp gage I would be able to see how much cooler it is. If that's the reason your doing a stage one save your money MY.02

Old 09-30-2014, 07:31 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,283 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Welcome to the world of the Shark. Also known as "non-conformists" I also have the 2013 RGU and I can relate to the heat. I've got about 5,600 miles ( heart surgery and too much work) and sometimes the temps have gone down a little. On the road didn't have a problem. There is a catalytic converter where the headers come together behind and below your right calf. Many have 1) changed out the headers for cat free or remove the cat honey comb.