Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Invoice price Road Glide Special $18,559.00

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:00 AM
Darryls48
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 5speedblu
just got invoice price fot a 15 RG special.

the list is$23,199.00....$4640.00 bucks don't seem like a lot to make considering employee cost, lights, heat,rent...etc. no wonder why they fight for every nickel.

They do make about 8k off the CVO
Now I feel stupid. I paid $19850.00 (List was $21,355 or something) plus fees for my '14 Softail Fatboy two weeks ago. Ugh, I need to learn how to negotiate better or something.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:33 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,504 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Darryls48
Now I feel stupid.
You shouldn't, as we all are that bought new. You can bet the MoCo is making a whole lot more than 20% on the invoice price. And I'm sure dealers get a break when they buy in volume from the MoCo.

Last edited by RKZen; 10-01-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:02 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Just.... wow.

These are businesses we are dealing with.

A. If they didn't make good money, they wouldn't be there.
B. If they didn't make good money, they would pay their staff less, and thus, have a very crappy staff.
C. You don't want to know the markup on other stuff you buy every day. Restaurants, grocery, computers, hardware...

Old 10-01-2014, 08:22 AM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
Many years ago I looked into a dealership with a partner and got all the financial details on running the business. One expense not yet mentioned is flooring cost, which can be substantial. However, the sale of the bike is usually the lowest margin part of the operation. Some dealerships can literally survive on the margins from accessories, clothing and service.
I stopped at Nashville Harley several years ago , a beautiful Sunday...had a country band playing, selling some beverages etc. Spoke with one of the partners...he said exactly the same thing.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Dobe66
Some dealerships can literally survive on the margins from accessories, clothing and service.

This is quite true. Just think how many clothing items are sold every day to people that don't even own a Harley. There is a hefty mark up on those Taiwan T-shirts.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:48 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Just.... wow.

B. If they didn't make good money, they would pay their staff less, and thus, have a very crappy staff.
C. You don't want to know the markup on other stuff you buy every day. Restaurants, grocery, computers, hardware...

I have to agree, hell i bought a 15 pack of budlight yesterday for $9.99 ($.60 each) at the bar i pay anywhere from $2.75 to $3.50 each. no telling how cheap the bars get their beer.

its all supply and demand. we never hear harley is struggling becuae they cant sell bikes. we pay to play. dont want to pay? we can start buying used metric bikes for a few grand and do the same thing we do on our $20K+ bikes.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:00 AM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Just.... wow.

And there you go!! Right on point.

Gas, groceries, cell-phones, alcohol, bottled water, microwavable things, clothing that's all made in China----where are all the cool names for them ...like "stealership"

It's ironic because some of us waste money on some of the most foolish stuff (including myself) and we never take the time to think about cost----When I used to drink, I'd buy a $5 beer in the club, a $8 shot of liquor---wow, what great markup!!

Last edited by sfcmo357; 10-01-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:45 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed05fatty
. dont want to pay? we can start buying used metric bikes for a few grand and do the same thing we do on our $20K+ bikes.
Exactly what I did. $7k for a used 07 Yamaha Stratoliner that is 90 hp stock. By far a waaaaaaaaaaaaay better financial decision for me. I'm not getting any younger and the days of a $20k toy are just not justifiable any more.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:51 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by sfcmo357
.... a $8 shot of liquor---wow,
....... and that's when i stopped buying' shots downtown.
.... a nice bottle of Centenario is what, $20 ? .... i'll get at least 20 shots out of it @ home.
........ but then, there are no honkytonk angels @ home, either.
... oh well, that's why I have a Harley ...
...... if one does not like the mark-up on new bikes, buy used via private seller, ... issue alleviated.

Last edited by groupw; 10-01-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:55 AM
IBDAGRIZ
Road Master
Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by PauleyB
The sales of the bikes is not the only revenue stream the dealers have. They also have parts, clothing, and most of all the service department. Many years ago, I was in the car business and one day on a whim, a friend of mine and I put together an entire car out of the parts department at retail for the part. That little (at the time) $9k Corolla totaled $210k in retail parts.

Later, when I was in business school, my team did our business analysis on a local car dealership and found that the vehicle sales were nearly a break even game. The biggest revenue stream at this particular dealership was warranty covered repairs.

It probably isn't too far off base to assume that most harley dealerships are making most of their money on parts and service. Selling us the bikes is just the invitation to the 'family' where we will continue to open our wallets on retail parts and services for years to come.
I had heard once that dealers of cars/bikes look to make 3-4 times the sales amounts in repair/warranty work.. Add in T-shirts for the scooter folk and you're golden.

Griz

Quick Reply: Invoice price Road Glide Special $18,559.00