Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil light on

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 06:16 PM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil light on

hi guys, its been a while since I was on the site. hope everyone is well. I have an issue with my 03 classic that someone on here maybe can give me some information. I just got back sunday from a 800 mile ride to the OBX and the bike ran grate. I got around to washing it today and when I started it up to put back in the garage I noticed the oil lite wouldn't go off. also the oil gauge hand would not move off pegged at 0. the bike has oil and runs fine. do I have a sensor issue or maybe an oil sending unit bad. if this is a possible where on the bike to I find the issue to fix. thanks in advance for possible help.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:53 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Since your problems started after washing the bike, check your electrical connections. Clean them, dry them off and use some dielectric grease to waterproof them. Next, check your fuses to see if an inline or one in your fuse box has blown. You stated that your oil level is good and that your bike is running fine. Oh, checking the sensor connections and running a meter check on the sensor leads might be in order also. Let us know how it goes.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Check the connection, pull it off look for water, it may have gotten past the seal.

I have replaced at least 3 sending units in the 9 years/15K I have had my 03.

I am assuming you have replaced the tensioners and they have not broken up and gotten into the oil pump and locked it up, resulting in no pressure

Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM
ncdan
Tourer

tea I replaced the tension shoes a few thousand miles ago. thanks for the replies guys, checking your replies now.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:50 PM
ncdan
Tourer

neggy, when the sending unit goes bad does the oil light stay on and the pressure gauge hang on 0. I unplugged the unit to check for moisture and it was bone dry. I started the motor with it unplugged and the oil lite was off. the unit is a two wire unit on the right side of the motor next to the break peddle leaver. am I about right so far.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by ncdan
neggy, when the sending unit goes bad does the oil light stay on and the pressure gauge hang on 0. I unplugged the unit to check for moisture and it was bone dry. I started the motor with it unplugged and the oil lite was off. the unit is a two wire unit on the right side of the motor next to the break peddle leaver. am I about right so far.
All the ones I had were reading low, so IMHO they went out of value somehow.

All it is in there is a spring and a variable resistor, so if the resistor went south in some way or form it can read zero to wrong.

I hate to be the person that throws parts at things, but for the 30 dollars or so I'd just swap it out, unless you have a service manual that will give you the resistance range and you can get in there with an OHM meter and verify the numbers, or you have a spare mechanical oil pressure gauge with the right threads/adapter to get in there and hook up and get the reading that way.

IIRC I was able to swap mine out with Chan-L-Locks....I didn't have my sender socket close by the last time.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM
ncdan
Tourer

just wanted to touch base with you guys who responded to my help request. as you may well know us that have older bikes are few and between here. I let the motor idle for a few minutes to make sure from the sounds of the engine that no parts were lacking oil. after I was convinced oil was flowing I figured what the heck I would taker her down the road and dry everything out from the bath. after about two miles the oil light flickered a few times then went out, the oil pressure gauge was right behind it. by the time I got home all was back to normal. to fix any further issues in the future, im just goin to quit giving her baths ;0 thanks again guys.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:51 AM
touchdown
Supporter

Received 1,658 Likes on 945 Posts

That's the way I like to fix bikes Ride the hell out of them