Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

diy air ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Munkee
I am having a similar issue. But I usually lose air immediately after trying to ride out. Its quick to drop but my system (according to gauge) shows I have air in it . I release it and I can hear solenoid purge it out. One thing I've noticed is oil in exhaust port on solenoid. Im thinking now maybe shocks blew seal and oil is being introduced in system.
How long have you been runnin the shocks? I hope like hell i dont have this issue it sounds like a pain in the ***. I got some time wrapped up ib ny set up and i dont even have the shocks on yet. Should be puttin them on around thursday.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 PM
06SGWA
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbilly78
I havent pressed my bushings in yet. I was away this past weekend and my bushings and solenoid didnt get here till saturday. The top bushing the one that you replace is the one that some people drill out rather then replacing the bushing. The bottom one you have to cut the sleeve down close to the bushings and you put in a reducer sleeve.
When you say, "drill out" do you mean remove the sleeve and drill out the rubber and fit the bolt in with no sleeve?
I couldn't figure out what they were talking about so I'm ordering more bushings and just replacing them all. I doubt my hacksaw skills would have squarely cut that existing sleeve on the bottom anyhow.
And I wouldn't worry about horror stories. If you keep the psi within recommended range, you will likely never have an issue.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran mine at 85psi to start with and they started dropping so I then aired it up to 135. Not a horror story just the facts of what happened to me.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Munkee
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How long have you been runnin the shocks? I hope like hmileage t have ts issue it sounds like a pain in the ***. I got some time wrapped up ib ny set up and i dont even have the shocks on yet. Should be puttin them on around thursday.
I probably have 7 months in them but I bought a used kit. So not sure what kind of mileage these got.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM
06SGWA
Road Master

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
I ran mine at 85psi to start with and they started dropping so I then aired it up to 135. Not a horror story just the facts of what happened to me.
When you first had your issue, you posted twice that you were originally running 135psi and then they deflated. That's why they blew out. Way too much pressure. Like I said, throw on a new set of shocks and keep it within operating range and you'll be fine.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:45 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have had mine for a while, over 10 k miles, no problems. Ride is great.

Toby

Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 AM
hellbilly78
Tourer

Originally Posted by 06SGWA
When you say, "drill out" do you mean remove the sleeve and drill out the rubber and fit the bolt in with no sleeve?
I couldn't figure out what they were talking about so I'm ordering more bushings and just replacing them all. I doubt my hacksaw skills would have squarely cut that existing sleeve on the bottom anyhow.
And I wouldn't worry about horror stories. If you keep the psi within recommended range, you will likely never have an issue.
I believe what they are doin is they just drill out that metal sleeve with it still in the bushing. Replacing that bottom bushing with the poly bushings may be a bad idea since the eyelets are slightly misaligned. Its gonna be rougher on the eyelets. Where at the rubber will at least flex a little bit more. To you guys that had trouble did you ever ride it completely aired down maybe that is part of the problem to why the internals are blowin out. The instructions recommend never to run under 20psi i mean yea its gonna go to zero aired out but ridin it that way may cause it to blow out.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 PM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine lasted less than 500 miles. I only let all the air out once and rolled it around in the garage to see if it would rub.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:55 PM
hellbilly78
Tourer

For you guys that replaced your top bushings how the hell did you do it this is proving to be a pain in the gonads. I messed around for almost 2 hours tonight trying to get them to work. When i put the metal sleeve in it pushings the bushings out a little bit. And i cant seem to get the metal bushings to be flush on both sides. I sandin one bushing down to make it shorter thinking the metal sleeve is causing it to swell and push the bushings out a little bit. Do i need to shorten them up even more or what

Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM
06SGWA
Road Master

For you guys that replaced your top bushings how the hell did you do it this is proving to be a pain in the gonads. I messed around for almost 2 hours tonight trying to get them to work. When i put the metal sleeve in it pushings the bushings out a little bit. And i cant seem to get the metal bushings to be flush on both sides. I sandin one bushing down to make it shorter thinking the metal sleeve is causing it to swell and push the bushings out a little bit. Do i need to shorten them up even more or what
You have to cut the bushings where they meet in the middle, otherwise they are way too thick.

Quick Reply: diy air ride