Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally did my breather bypass (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:10 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I never used much oil before the mod even though there was BB oil always present in the TB from the EPA imposed breather venting. I think running oil 1/2 qt low just to minimize BB is just crazy talk and personally feel I want as much oil available for lubrication as possible. I run my oil as close to the full mark as possible. I've never put a filter on the end of the tubing in 98 or present. Oil appears to blow out with none being inhaled back into the engine.
This is the normal amount of drip from my atmosphere re-route tubing.

This is the location of my route tubing:

No oil appears to blow back to the rear bike components.

Last edited by TUCCI; 12-21-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
and to my knowledge they've always been water cooled which injects a completely different set of factors into the equation.

so because you got a Wednesday built motor or should I say the perfect HD motor, that means it's not a problem for hundreds of thousands of others? I think not.

to my knowledge the only ones that should not be run to the full mark are the softails. Mine runs at the full level ALL THE TIME.

yep there sure is. it's called the EPA!

I have wasted time in changing breathers to no positive effect. I drilled out the rocker support plates to no effect. Don't be a hater because you don't take the time to fix what HD and the EPA has screwed up on YOUR bike. Show me a video capture of your piston tops with a borescope camera and then I'll believe you don't have the same problem everyone else has.

Last edited by Northbound Southerner; 12-21-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:12 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
You can disagree all you like but what I wrote is factual. I worked in auto and truck repair for many years and saw a lot of what I spoke. Car and truck engines have been running positive crankcase ventilation systems since the early 1970's and if oil in the intake was a real problem then car and truck engines would show it real fast. The old style breathers mounted on valve covers would usually leak oil eventually.

For what its worth, I have no oil leakage out of my SE air filter, no oil blowing on the pipes or engine and no buildup in the throttle body and have run for many miles at a time at 80-85 mph and still got no oil usage or leaks out the air filter so it is not a normal thing for a twin cam to be blowing oil out. And I run the synthetic (Syn3) oil level to the full mark. What is causing it on individual bikes may be different, but there is a problem. Most of it may be the umbrella valve and too much oil getting in that breather system. With all the cobbled messes for breathers I have seen on here, I have yet to see one person pull the rockers and change out the in head breathers to see if that is the culprit. Maybe its worth a shot.
Actually what you wrote is an opinion that goes directly against everything I have seen and experienced...

Old 12-21-2014, 05:45 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Makdaddy can that run in the horizontal position like that and still work right looks like the drain is in the center, do you have to remove to drain it? they said there is a baffle to separate air and oil. I like the idea of a catch can also, like I have had on my other motors.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM
jm35ny
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks good I need to do this badly. I`m afraid what the inside of my motor looks like at 30k

Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 PM
shakrr
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After thinking about the catch can, is there any of you real smart people that can tell me if the stock breathers tubes that run down and into the A/C and fill with oil, if it were turned up above to the tank from the 9 to 3 o clock position, wouldn't the liquids run back into the heads and the oil system and just burn off the moisture, then just vent or positive air pressure would cause no oil splatter with a breather filter that would stay dry above the vent ports?

Old 12-21-2014, 08:48 PM
motoXjoe
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Shakrr,
You may be on to something. As long as the tube diameter is sized large enough to prevent clogging up, and the filter mounted vertically to prevent oil dripping off onto the engine, it should work better as you described. Great thinking!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
After thinking about the catch can, is there any of you real smart people that can tell me if the stock breathers tubes that run down and into the A/C and fill with oil, if it were turned up above to the tank from the 9 to 3 o clock position, wouldn't the liquids run back into the heads and the oil system and just burn off the moisture, then just vent or positive air pressure would cause no oil splatter with a breather filter that would stay dry above the vent ports?

I don't think so...as there are small rubber valves (if I remember correctly) inside of the head that close when there is suction from the pistons moving up..

Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by shakrr
Makdaddy can that run in the horizontal position like that and still work right looks like the drain is in the center, do you have to remove to drain it? they said there is a baffle to separate air and oil. I like the idea of a catch can also, like I have had on my other motors.

It should It is designed to mounted vertically, but I rotated the filter to be at the top when mounted horizontally
It shouldn't leak. If it does that means the cylinder filled, and I have way tooo much blowby

And yes I will need to remove it to drain it.

Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BigTwins
If you do this mod and bypass the air filter, and do nothing else but ride, will the pistons eventually clean up on their own?
=====================

Wouldnt bet on it but if you run a few tanks of fuel with a healthy dose (1.5oz per gal) of chevrons " Techron " (their " Concentrated " version) that's a fuel injector top end cleaner (cleans combustion chambers inc valves & pistons) on a reg basis starting with a clean engine things should stay pretty clean.

Run that hvy dose right before an oil change because hvy dose could poss foul oil with some contam from cleaning the excessive carbon out of comb chambers.

Then after doing the hvy clean dose of 1.5oz per qt of concentrated techron i'd run it 1x every 3k miles to keep the injectors/valves/tops of pistons & cumbustion chambers in general clean of carbon & crap from the combustion process.

Been doing that on my EFI & carb'd vehicles for yrs with great results,the stuff is fantastic and fixed partial clogged injector issues in cars i was working on where seafoam couldn't fix it.

And the " concentrated techron" cleans the intake valves on both sides like on the comb chamber side of the valves and also cleans where you would see buildup with the intake off the motor looking thru intake port on head where carbon/crap builds up on the backside of the intake valve too.

BTW,all the carbon buildup isnt just from the crankcase breather,its collectively together a buildup of oil blowby gases from the crankcase along with the crap todays pump fuel leaves behind too which chevrons' techron in the " Concentrated version" does a good job of cleaning.

Scott

Quick Reply: Finally did my breather bypass (pics included)