Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake light cruise control issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:10 PM
bshughes657
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake light cruise control issue

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my brake lights and cruise. I noticed today that when I set the cruise control, it when turn off when I hit a bump in the road. Also, all I would have to do is touch the front brake lever and the cruise control would disengage. When I got home I also noticed that the rear brake light did not light when I pulled the front or rear brake. I have a turn signal, running light, brake light converter on the bike. When either brake is applied the turn signal lights work, but the tail light doesn't light. I would appreciate any ideas. The bike is a 2013 Road King Anniversary edition. Thanks

Bob

Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by bshughes657
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my brake lights and cruise. I noticed today that when I set the cruise control, it when turn off when I hit a bump in the road. Also, all I would have to do is touch the front brake lever and the cruise control would disengage. When I got home I also noticed that the rear brake light did not light when I pulled the front or rear brake. I have a turn signal, running light, brake light converter on the bike. When either brake is applied the turn signal lights work, but the tail light doesn't light. I would appreciate any ideas. The bike is a 2013 Road King Anniversary edition. Thanks

Bob
Many times a bulb filament can break or burn out and lay across the other terminal or filament in the bulb. Also fender tip lights can create the issue if you have them. Check bulb for turn signals also.

Old 10-12-2014, 01:19 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

if you loosened or removed the right hand controls, you may have broken the brake light switch

replacement switch is about $60 at the dealer, some riders have been able to fix with jb weld or epoxy...

the manual details how to prevent this with a shim

if this is doesn't apply, check the bulbs, fuses and try removing the module and see if that is the problem

mike

Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 AM
HammerBACA
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had my rear lights not illuminating when touching the controls. My rear brakes switch electrical connections were full of water and oxidized. It caused the 15 amp fuse to blow also. I replaced the entire switch and connections for about 20 bucks. Once i did that the fuses stopped blowing and rear lights now work with both hand and foot controls.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:57 PM
Therr333
2nd Gear

Thank you all for the help I will try several of these things tomorrow. And get back to you guys. I hope one of these methods will work!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:51 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Therr333
Thank you all for the help I will try several of these things tomorrow. And get back to you guys. I hope one of these methods will work!

Where did you come from? You sounded like you were the OP from 1-1/2 + years ago coming back to reply...had to look back at post #1

Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 AM
SBRoadKing
Intermediate

My explanation will suck a little since I don't have my bike here to refer to but here is the fix. The same thing happened to me. If you look on your brake lever there is a raised section that will engage with a rubber bumper to turn your brake light on and off. This somehow wore away a little I guess and was no longer engaging the rubber bumper correctly. My bike did the same thing as yours, cruise control disengaged when hitting a bump and no brake light. I just put a little JB weld where the raised section of the brake lever should be and problem fixed. Mine was a 2012 Road King btw.