Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 06:30 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

mine have none of your problems , here is my install , I mounted mine different from install instruction but they work fine , hope you sort it out

Attached Thumbnails Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality-ohlins-6-006.jpg   Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality-ohlins-6-007.jpg   Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality-ohlins-6-008.jpg   Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality-ohlins-6-009.jpg   Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality-ohlins-6-010.jpg  

Last edited by tj316; 10-14-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Hukamosh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reservoir is mounted too low. Drill the bottom hole higher in the mounting plate and that amount of rise will alleviate the stressed hoses. Wrap electrical tape around the hose clamps if you don't like scratches in you aluminum bodies.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:35 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hukamosh
The reservoir is mounted too low. Drill the bottom hole higher in the mounting plate and that amount of rise will alleviate the stressed hoses. Wrap electrical tape around the hose clamps if you don't like scratches in you aluminum bodies.

The photos were taken with reservoir were mounted with the brackets provided by Ohlins USA that were supposed to be made for my year bike. I ended up mounting them to my detachable luggage rack but that makes it non detachable.

The springs should not rub on the shock bodies and if the retainer and preload nuts had been machined to the inner diameter of the springs to hold the spring centered there would be less chance of rub.

I've tried a total of four sets of springs, 27/220mm, 25/220mm, 25nm/200mm and 20-29/200mm. No combination provided a comfortable ride one up. Two up the 25/200 gave a good ride and good handling but it is too uncomfortable to ride solo with preload properly set based on sag.

The hose clamp broke at the screw retaining portion, that's why the reservoir got scratched. I was going to shrink wrap them after I got everything sorted out.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

So everything is wrong. I got it now, LOL

Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

[QUOTE=hog95023;13317686]

"Wow that definitely does not look right. Did ohlins see the photo before saying it was ok for the spring preload adjuster was ok. I Believe the spring was rubbing due to the fact there wasn't any tension compressing it keeping it from moving sloppy in there No way I would think that was ok."

The preload was set for the proper sag but they were 220mm springs.

"Since you have a 2000 model bike you may have to fab up a mount to make it work."

The mounts were supplied by Ohlins for my model year.

23nm/200mm springs may have been the way to go but they were not offered.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:06 PM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by qtrracer
So everything is wrong. I got it now, LOL

Aside from the ride and handling two up, that is correct.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:48 PM
sel53
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
I've tried a total of four sets of springs, 27/220mm, 25/220mm, 25nm/200mm and 20-29/200mm. No combination provided a comfortable ride one up. Two up the 25/200 gave a good ride and good handling but it is too uncomfortable to ride solo with preload properly set based on sag.
Same experience as me on ride. The 23N/mm springs did the trick. The only ones in that rate that fit this shock is 220mm length. It's worth doing because it FINALLY made the ride decent one-up.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:42 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Ohlins didn't offer 23nm springs, I inquired. Why don't they have 23nm springs in 200mm length?

Old 10-15-2014, 06:55 AM
skypilot_one
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sel53
Same experience as me on ride. The 23N/mm springs did the trick. The only ones in that rate that fit this shock is 220mm length. It's worth doing because it FINALLY made the ride decent one-up.

Do your springs have play on the retainers and did they scrap the shock body threads? Seems to me if the retainer was machined to fit snuggly in the spring it would center better and help prevent the damage.

Fact is, the spring i.d. could be increased 1/4" giving plenty of clearance and machine the retainer and preload nuts to hold the spring properly. The new o.d. would still be less than a stock Harley air shock.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts

Call your vendor and he/she should instruct you how to install those brackets the proper way. The way you have them is not the way I designed them to fit onto the chrome saddle bag support. The instructions are also in the box and are illustrated where they should go. I know they are there because I wrote the directions for the 927's/#6. I am assuming Ohlins changed the text to reflect OhlinsUSA reducing the stroke & putting on height adjusters. The holes on the ressy side are not the way I originally specified them to be, guess they know more than I. I had both clamps on the smaller ID of the ressy.

The wrapped muffler bike with my #6 shocks on them was one of the 3rd or 4th working prototype. I specified the hose length but the measurements were not translated properly into English (I guess) as those hoses were too short. Those shocks were on my FXR which worked perfectly.

All of the HD hose mount shocks ever sold have a length of 260mm and not 200mm as shown.

The reason your springs are rubbing on your shock bodies is due to a very common installation error. Call your vendor, the person who sold you the shocks and discuss that issue with them. Very easy mistake to make if you do not know how to work on bikes.

The reason why the spring pre-load collars are not tight is due to dirt & debris. Here is a shocks that was not maintained/cleaned. Could you imagine how well a close tolerance thread would work under these circumstances. Once you tighten the set screw the spring pre-load collars do not move.

I do not know what brackets were sent to you but these shocks will work properly if you are given the proper installation information. If you look closely at my own bike you will see 220mm springs and there is no problems with them for me. I do look closely when I install components, however. Good luck with your endeavor. Trust in the vendor who sold them to you and they should provide all of the proper guidance you should ever need.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-15-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Ohlins Shocks HD357 quality